V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #19,921 of 23,366
Seeing as the XS was just released, would you think another successor to the m-100 will come out?

You mean something that doesn't self-destruct?

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #19,926 of 23,366
The cracking issue on the M-100 is insane.  Haven't been rough with mine at all and have never played with the screws and yet I have cracks where the screws are on both sides. 

For the money though, I haven't found another set of portable headphones that I enjoy more than the M-100.  It's a double edged sword that I live with everyday.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #19,928 of 23,366
Yeah, I still have 2 major cracks on the right earcup, a less serious crack on the left earcup, and my left wingplate has a crack near the screw. It still works though, so I can't really complain. XD

You've also completely dissected your M-100. Thanks for the pictures! (and bravery)

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #19,929 of 23,366
Apr 2, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #19,930 of 23,366
The issue of cracks is unfortunate, especially since its not tied to and specific use/abuse... I do not baby mine as I use them on the go almost every day but had good luck so far, owning them for almost 1 year.

I can imagine that the rather complex form does have areas of high tension and minor variances in the production process might show up as cracks. But besides being a cosmetic thing: did anyone have an issue with a cup actually breaking? I fully understand someone taking care of their headphones and being unhappy with cosmetic problems without cause. To me its more important that it works as expected and does not break.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #19,933 of 23,366
  I can imagine that the rather complex form does have areas of high tension and minor variances in the production process might show up as cracks.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. The tolerances on this headphone are probably pretty tight, which could turn areas of even slight variance into stress zones.

But besides being a cosmetic thing: did anyone have an issue with a cup actually breaking? I fully understand someone taking care of their headphones and being unhappy with cosmetic problems without cause. To me its more important that it works as expected and does not break.

I remember one user had an actual chunk of his earcup's plastic perimeter (the part that holds the pad in) break off. He posted a pic of the damage, but it's likely buried somewhere deep within this thread. That's the only person I can recall stating his/her earcup actually started coming apart. Others have mentioned sections of their wingplates chipping apart, though.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #19,935 of 23,366
This afternoon I had need of a short 1/8" stereo male-to-male cable and since I recently said to go ahead and buy the AUVIO cable from Radio Shack I figured I'd do the same and picked up a black with silver accents 3-foot cable.

How does it sound? Well, laid flat on the table in a quiet room it doesn't make any sound at all. Nor does it make any sound when coiled although there is a slight rustle when the cover rubs against itself. It does make a quiet thrumming sound when pulled taught and plucked. Other than that it doesn't sound like anything.

I then plugged one end into my M-100. The barrel fits neatly in the socket. I plugged the other end into my Clip Zip and pressed "play". Sure enough, Judas Priest's "(Take These) Chains" comes out of the headphones. The cable works, as expected.

The V-MODA cables are better cables at least in terms of build. Softer and more flexible cover material, less microphonic noise and they cost less. But if you need a short cable for your M-100 right now then the AUVIO cable works just fine.

I have it but I did not notice the volume difference between the Auvio and the stock cable like the tests I have seen between the Audio Only cable vs Stock ones so I am returning it. Not only due to that but that I really need it to be at least 4' long to work in my setup better. I wanted to make that Pipeline one from RS work but I didnt dare cutting the plug a little to make it fit lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back