V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 1, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #19,906 of 23,366
  My m100's have been cracked since late February and they were purchased late January. It took exactly 31 days for them to develop a pretty size-able crack. I think the plastic that is used for the earcups is much too brittle although the hardness of the plastic may have an impact on the sound.

yep, mine were just sent for repair. id like to see a more standard cushion holding design.

I think the the plastic snap in system is too fragile.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #19,907 of 23,366

What do you mean by repairs? 

The History of Epithetless' M-100s, 101: I discovered a hairline crack on the outside perimeter of one of the earcups shortly after receiving them; sent them into V-MODA to have the part replaced (I wasn't going to just grin and bear that sort of flaw when the product was otherwise almost factory-fresh); got them back from V-MODA; discovered a brand new crack in one of the wingplates immediately after extracting them from the bubble mailer; begrudgingly decided to part with them again to have the wingplate replaced (since customer support informed me replacement wingplates couldn't be shipped out for a user-side swap); sent them into V-MODA a second time; got them back all nice and crack free...and discovered another crack in the vertex of an earcup within a couple weeks of almost fearfully delicate use.

As of today, my M-100s sport two hairline cracks in the perimeter of the left earcup, and one hairline crack in the upper middle section of the right wingplate. No rough stuff on my part -- just the usual opening and closing of the hinges, non-impact out-and-about head time, occasional around-the-neck transport, and in-case storage. Guess the little guys are just sensitive.
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #19,908 of 23,366

The History of Epithetless' M-100s, 101: I discovered a hairline crack on the outside perimeter of one of the earcups shortly after receiving them; sent them into V-MODA to have the part replaced (I wasn't going to just grin and bear that sort of flaw when the product was otherwise almost factory-fresh); got them back from V-MODA; discovered a brand new crack in one of the wingplates immediately after extracting them from the bubble mailer; begrudgingly decided to part with them again to have the wingplate replaced (since customer support informed me replacement wingplates couldn't be shipped out for a user-side swap); sent them into V-MODA a second time; got them back all nice and crack free...and discovered another crack in the vertex of an earcup within a couple weeks of almost fearfully delicate use.

As of today, my M-100s sport two hairline cracks in the perimeter of the left earcup, and one hairline crack in the upper middle section of the right wingplate. No rough stuff on my part -- just the usual opening and closing of the hinges, non-impact out-and-about head time, occasional around-the-neck transport, and in-case storage. Guess the little guys are just sensitive.
tongue.gif

Is it possible for it to be seen in a picture? I'm kind of scared to buy some now if the cracking will eventually get really bad.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #19,909 of 23,366

tongue.gif

It sounds to me like something was odd with that pair and replacing the part wasn't gonna help anyway. You needed a new pair entirely.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #19,910 of 23,366
As you can see, one is matte black and the other is shadow.

Both have the cracks around the same place. I got the shadows first, the crack appeared about few weeks after i got it, maybe a month. I got the matte black after, just discovered the crack yesterday. I had both for a while now, maybe over 6 month. The crack on the shadow is much bigger which I had to use superglue to prevent it peeling off.

I haven't tried to change the plates.

Sad face....

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #19,911 of 23,366
my mistake.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #19,912 of 23,366
  It sounds to me like something was odd with that pair and replacing the part wasn't gonna help anyway. You needed a new pair entirely.

Possibly. If any variation exists, I'd suspect it's with the consistency of the plastic compound V-MODA uses for the non-metal parts. Perhaps the formulation of my pair's plastic skews a tad too far from flexibility and toward brittleness than most other people's. I dunno. I will say the wingplate that's currently cracked is the one they replaced, so not an original part.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #19,913 of 23,366
  he said he got like 3 pairs what are you talking about lol

No, it's the same pair. I initially wasn't sure if V-MODA would simply replace the entire headphone, but they seem inclined to just swap out parts when possible.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #19,914 of 23,366

No, it's the same pair. I initially wasn't sure if V-MODA would simply replace the entire headphone, but they seem inclined to just swap out parts when possible.

That's what I'm thinking is the issue. There was a structural problem in there that was putting stress on that one area and that was causing the cup to crack, not that the plastic itself was weak. If it was me I'd say I want a whole new pair. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #19,915 of 23,366
That's what I'm thinking is the issue. There was a structural problem in there that was putting stress on that one area and that was causing the cup to crack, not that the plastic itself was weak. If it was me I'd say I want a whole new pair. 

If that's the case, it's unfortunately not a structural problem isolated to my particular pair, as the past few posts and previous discussions of this issue have shown.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #19,916 of 23,366
That's pretty conclusive proof that the issues aren't simply down to users over-tightening the screws when swapping guards. It's a manufacturing error, plain & simple. It hasn't happened to my pair yet. I look after my headphones and don't really test their ruggedness but if my pair develop cracks I'd expect a replacement pair. However, without actually knowing that the issue has been acknowledged by V-Moda and a fix put in place in the manufacturing process, how confident would anyone be that the replacement was going to fare any better?

It's a damn shame because they're beautiful headphones which give a real sense of pride of ownership but, would I buy a second pair? It's doubtful.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #19,917 of 23,366
If that's the case, it's unfortunately not a structural problem isolated to my particular pair, as the past few posts and previous discussions of this issue have shown.

I agree with this and Zorro. I'm wondering if there were batches that came out with this issue, meaning it's not a "when" problem with all of them, but if they have a cracking problem the only solution is just to get a new pair, there's no "fixing" it on that particular pair. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #19,918 of 23,366
This afternoon I had need of a short 1/8" stereo male-to-male cable and since I recently said to go ahead and buy the AUVIO cable from Radio Shack I figured I'd do the same and picked up a black with silver accents 3-foot cable.

How does it sound? Well, laid flat on the table in a quiet room it doesn't make any sound at all. Nor does it make any sound when coiled although there is a slight rustle when the cover rubs against itself. It does make a quiet thrumming sound when pulled taught and plucked. Other than that it doesn't sound like anything.

I then plugged one end into my M-100. The barrel fits neatly in the socket. I plugged the other end into my Clip Zip and pressed "play". Sure enough, Judas Priest's "(Take These) Chains" comes out of the headphones. The cable works, as expected.

The V-MODA cables are better cables at least in terms of build. Softer and more flexible cover material, less microphonic noise and they cost less. But if you need a short cable for your M-100 right now then the AUVIO cable works just fine.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #19,919 of 23,366
Seeing as the XS was just released, would you think another successor to the m-100 will come out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back