V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #19,651 of 23,366
Small update...I ended up with the Auvio cable after all. Not bad looking when actually plugged into the M-100 :)
I wanted to mod the Audioquest (Pipeline) one but it was going to take too much cutting to make it work. Then I was going to get the V-moda one but realized it was way too long for what I really needed, so Auvio won!

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #19,652 of 23,366
  Small update...I ended up with the Auvio cable after all. Not bad looking when actually plugged into the M-100 :)
I wanted to mod the Audioquest (Pipeline) one but it was going to take too much cutting to make it work. Then I was going to get the V-moda one but realized it was way too long for what I really needed, so Auvio won!

Yeah the VMODA cable is SILLY long. I had no idea until I got it.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #19,653 of 23,366

Just ordered mine. Can't wait!

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #19,654 of 23,366
I'm ready to get them. Already have M-100s with XL pads and being a big M-80 fan I can't resist the XS and the thought of getting an improved M-80. One thing I have to mention after watching that vid, is that I love that Val 1) pays so much attention to detail and 2) creates gear that he himself uses. The latter is very much correlated with the former as he is one of us, a headphone enthusiast, and then goes the extra mile in hearing our feedback. Gotta respect how involved he is and that's one of the reasons I really love V-MODA as a company.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #19,655 of 23,366
I can't deny that the philosophy behind VMODA is a big reason I happily bought the M100, Verza, and Metallo case.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #19,657 of 23,366
I can't deny that the philosophy behind VMODA is a big reason I happily bought the M100, Verza, and Metallo case.

How do you like the Verza? I just got one but I've had little time to spend with it although I do like what I've heard with my cans so far especially when compared to the HP-P1. Both are great-sounding sources but the form factor is definitely better with the Verza.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #19,658 of 23,366
How do you like the Verza? I just got one but I've had little time to spend with it although I do like what I've heard with my cans so far especially when compared to the HP-P1. Both are great-sounding sources but the form factor is definitely better with the Verza.

Absolutely a worthy purchase, especially while mobile. I don't recommend using it as an external battery too much because I've noticed if you do that while playing music it dies in about an hour and a half. Not good. But if you need an external battery WITHOUT playing music it's probably good stuff. 

Sound-wise, one of my favorite things is that, aside from just sounding cleaner on both my laptop and phone, it sounds the SAME out of both of them. There's no difference, so I never find myself going "eh, time to listen out of the phone, it's good, but not AS good..."

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #19,660 of 23,366

Absolutely a worthy purchase, especially while mobile. I don't recommend using it as an external battery too much because I've noticed if you do that while playing music it dies in about an hour and a half. Not good. But if you need an external battery WITHOUT playing music it's probably good stuff. 

Sound-wise, one of my favorite things is that, aside from just sounding cleaner on both my laptop and phone, it sounds the SAME out of both of them. There's no difference, so I never find myself going "eh, time to listen out of the phone, it's good, but not AS good..."

I'd agree with this assessment. Especially android --> windows (never had a mac to test on). Though that is due to having the same DAC going. From windows to iDevice, I felt it was slightly warmer in tone, but no loss of quality. You still get consistently clean sound from both DACs. I wouldn't seek out an iDevice though, there was a difference but it wasn't major in anyway, not to my ears at least. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #19,661 of 23,366
So I finally purchased the XL pads and have tried them for a couple days.

Honestly I can't tell the difference in the sound 
blink.gif

While I do prefer the comfort of the pads, I feel like I should use the stock pads just because that was the way Val intended for the M-100's to be heard.   

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #19,662 of 23,366
SGD, do you have any other audio cables lying around that you can test with the M-100? Your impressions with the volume on the audio only cable have left me perplexed and I've been thinking about ordering one even though I have no need for it. I extend this inquiry to everyone who is using non-standard audio cables with your M-100. Is there a difference in volume between the SpeakEasy and your no-frills audio cable? Zorrofox?

The main ones in question are:

NuForce Transient
FiiO RC-MH1
Auvio
That eBay one that's been mentioned
Any other that happens to fit

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #19,663 of 23,366
I tested the following in my Macbook Pro (late 2013 edition):

Speakeasy
No-name red cable I got with my Fiio e11
Auvio retractable cable
VMODA audio-only

The Speakeasy was MARKEDLY quieter than the other three, which sounded roughly the same in terms of volume (the Auvio retractable seemed like it wasn't as clean, but it's a REALLY thin flat cable). With my laptop at under 50% volume, the three cables were all plenty volume. With the Speakeasy, it was muffled. The difference is NOT subtle.

I'm uploading a video now that should make the difference VERY apparent.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #19,664 of 23,366
I am not noticing any volume difference with the auvio cable I got. Now I'm wondering if I should still get the vmoda one. Lol
Then again lack of volume is not really an issue since I have the app. :)

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #19,665 of 23,366
Here you go.

Sorry it's a little rambly and four minutes long, but I recorded it quickly off of my iPad. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back