V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #19,546 of 23,366
I don't think they're terrible either. My point was just this notion that people who buy SC/Beats/Monster do so SOLELY because of the look. It's arrogant and it's terribly presumptuous.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #19,547 of 23,366
I disagree. Most people who buy Beats buy them because they're fashionable, not because they sound good -- because they don't. Most people who buy Skull Candy buy them because they're fashionable and cheap, not because they sound good -- because they don't. I could go on and on but I don't really see the need. Joe Consumer has voted with his wallet and that vote says style over substance.

rolleyes.gif

You got it all figured out and stuff. That's cool.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #19,548 of 23,366
As someone who has friends and family who own Skullcandy, none of them give a crap about the fashion. They're cheap and sound "good enough" for them. Simple as that. No one who owns a pair of Skullcandy who is older than 14 thinks they're "stylish".

As someone who has friends who own Beats and who used to own Beats, none of them say "I don't care how they sound, they just look nice". They're under the impression that Beats sounds the best because of the incredibly effective ad campaign. Beats are presented to people as the Cadillac of headphones. I've had a friend actually surprised that headphones even EXISTED that were more expensive and better than Beats because the Beats image is that they're top tier. It's no different from how many people think Bose are as good as audio gets (and frankly Beats sounds better than Bose).

Yes, they're stylish, but it's that people ASSOCIATE that style with a perceived quality. And once again, Beats aren't terrible. They're not even bad. They're pretty good. Look up reviews from people who are neither Beats sycophants or Beats haters and you'll see they're pretty frequently rated "pretty good". And in comparison to the cheap crap you get at Best Buy or Walmart, Beats is a HUGE step up. So people think Beats are primo.

Once again, this is arrogant nonsense. It's self-proclaimed audiophiles who want to believe that they're better than others and say that "unlike those stupid Beats owners, I bought MY headphones because of how they SOUND!" Meanwhile there's a giant thread on this board about what the best looking headphones are and every single review takes design into account. You'd almost think everyone DOES care about how they look...

What u said deserves a like or two lol! Too many people bash beats, but their marketing is doing a good job clearly and is showing sennheiser ,shure, and other companies how to cater to their target population.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #19,549 of 23,366
K so the stock pads arent as comfort as i first thought.

Clamping force is definitely a bit tight, the top of my ears touch the drivers just a bit( like grazing it).

The sizing i have to move around to get it comfortable and to seal well.

They definitely heat up after about 30mins.

That said itd say its avg in comfort.

So far i still find it a bit bass heavy (for some songs) that goes away when ur listening to trance, electronic, dubstep

And the recessed mids are less noticeable

Ive only put maybe 3-4 hours on them so far so maybe the pads, headbans would conform or burn it will make it a bit tighter (bass i mean) its bleeding into the mids a bit much for me (i like my mids untouched)

But the treble wow, its sparkly, emphasized but without siblance. (This treble is actually my favorite part of the m100s so far) its treble is absolutely perfect for a modern music headphone

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #19,551 of 23,366
@ someguydude

I'm not getting back in to this, honest. However, remember when we were PM'ing each other and you expressed surprise when you read that I owned AKG Q701's and they were celebrity endorsed? That's the problem right there. I bought them because I've always lusted after K702's and the even better looking (and sounding) Quincy Jones endorsed model was going for much cheaper on Amazon. I specifically didn't buy them because of Quincy Jones (no harm to the dude). It was you who made the fashion connection, not I. Clearly celebrity endorsement does work on some people and I suspect you might be in that grouping. No harm in that mind. None at all, but you see my point.

Now, if I'd bought the lime green version you might, just might, have had a point. I bought the black version. Of course.

Oh and FYI, as a European let me point out that likening anything to a Cadillac is not an endorsement. It's the kiss of death.

P. S. Your real name's not Joe, is it?

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #19,555 of 23,366
And why is that? Cadillac is a commonly referred to luxury vehicle manufacturer in the US. If you don't like them, fine. But over here most people do.

In Europe Cadillac are regarded as being poorly designed, cheaply built, over-sized, inefficient & generally ugly. It's a damn shame to be honest, when you see their design prototypes they're invariably beautiful. I guess governments get in the way, the EU in particular I suppose.

Some older models were gorgeous too and I guess with the low price of fuel you have they're acceptable but over here they're an anachronism, pointless.

I have a friend over here who owns an old Impala. Now that is gorgeous. Still all the same negatives of course, but it's just about worth putting up with for the sheer presence the Chevy delivers.

I've another friend with a Very old Chevy pick-up (truck to you). I forget the model designation but it's "P" something or other. E uses it to promote his business and its a daily driver too. The noise is awesome, especially so in this country were power units are getting ever smaller and ever more complex. His is the small-block 5.7 V8 with a straight through exhaust. Alarms go off on the choke. I'm a car nut, sorry.

I find it odd when people start an argument by saying they don't want to get into that argument.

That's not fair mate. I supported both sides. Read it again.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #19,556 of 23,366
The cool thing is, that there is room for both ways of thinking. I personally have the Mad Dogs, and when amp'd properly, they are far better than my V-moda's. The bass is strong, the trebles super silky smooth. Its a beautiful sound BUT .... there is NO WAY on God's green earth, I will walk around in public with these things on my head. They are butt ugly. If women dig headphones, I can tell you there is NO way they dig the Mad Dogs lol.  Am I vain ?? Yes... Do I have a pretty good sense of fashion ? Yes .... I can also tell you that the V-Moda's get compliments every time I wear them in public. More than a few of my friends have asked who they were from, etc.And the custom shields just add to it :)

My point is, we all have some things we like and are willing to pay a premium to have. What we do with our hard (or otherwise) earned money is our choice

The Moda's are a great sounding, fabulous looking headphone. I think that's what we should be focused on ....

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #19,557 of 23,366
K so the stock pads arent as comfort as i first thought.

Clamping force is definitely a bit tight, the top of my ears touch the drivers just a bit( like grazing it).

The sizing i have to move around to get it comfortable and to seal well.

They definitely heat up after about 30mins.

That said itd say its avg in comfort.

So far i still find it a bit bass heavy (for some songs) that goes away when ur listening to trance, electronic, dubstep

And the recessed mids are less noticeable

Ive only put maybe 3-4 hours on them so far so maybe the pads, headbans would conform or burn it will make it a bit tighter (bass i mean) its bleeding into the mids a bit much for me (i like my mids untouched)

But the treble wow, its sparkly, emphasized but without siblance. (This treble is actually my favorite part of the m100s so far) its treble is absolutely perfect for a modern music headphone

They definitely sound better on break in. Which, if I recall correctly, didnt seem to take very long. 

Also, I had success relieving some of the clamping pressure by bending the headband out straight and even past 180 degrees. Dont worry, it goes back into shape (especially when you put it back into its case). After I did that a number of times I noticed the clamping pressure lessened. Initially I couldnt wear mine for more than a couple of hours but now I can wear them as long as I please. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #19,558 of 23,366
I can't remember ever owning headphones that didn't benefit to some extent from burn-in. I tend to use my M-100's as portables so that clamping pressure turns into a bonus. I've never owned more secure headphones.

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #19,559 of 23,366
To any mods out there. Any chance of the link below being stickied to the first page of this thread?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/16840_20#post_9849147

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #19,560 of 23,366
To any mods out there. Any chance of the link below being stickied to the first page of this thread?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/16840_20#post_9849147

^^^^ 

Swapping the pads is such a ridiculously intimidating process the first time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back