V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #19,411 of 23,366
I was listening to the audio technica ws99s which thr store owner said was close ro the vmoda m100 sound. With bass reducer it sound prettyy good , decentl clear. but once turn off the bass was too strong. I guess im not a "basshead".

I was gonna do the same for the m100s use bass reducer at home, where i dont need that extra bass, and turn off the eq when im on the go.

I usually hate using eq but as stated before, the m100 ticks basically all the box for a portable. And with the xl pads it really seems like the perfect all rounder. Now its the sound im questioning.

I couldnt end up demoing a unit in toronto, yorkdale no longer has a demo unit ( glad i called ahead or i made the trip for nothing).

Tried the athm50s that some recommend was close in terms of sound sig for an easily accessible headphone u can demo.

Used bass reducer again off my ipod but with the fiio (e6) no eq so some bass bump i its vanilla mode. .

The lower midss felt really scooped and cold sounding and in comparison this made the treble overly bright.

Now i didnt grt to try it without the bass reducer but it seems (with the bass reducer eq setting whic i was intending for home use doesnt cut it on the athm50s which would mean the same for the m100s)

Any thoughtss? Soo close yet so far! I was so close to dropping the money on it

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #19,412 of 23,366
I listen to the M-100 with NO EQ and it's perfect for all my music, which includes jazz, pop, edm, hip hop, dub step, rap and trap music.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #19,413 of 23,366
I was listening to the audio technica ws99s which thr store owner said was close ro the vmoda m100 sound. With bass reducer it sound prettyy good , decentl clear. but once turn off the bass was too strong. I guess im not a "basshead".

I was gonna do the same for the m100s use bass reducer at home, where i dont need that extra bass, and turn off the eq when im on the go.

I usually hate using eq but as stated before, the m100 ticks basically all the box for a portable. And with the xl pads it really seems like the perfect all rounder. Now its the sound im questioning.

I couldnt end up demoing a unit in toronto, yorkdale no longer has a demo unit ( glad i called ahead or i made the trip for nothing).

Tried the athm50s that some recommend was close in terms of sound sig for an easily accessible headphone u can demo.

Used bass reducer again off my ipod but with the fiio (e6) no eq so some bass bump i its vanilla mode. .

The lower midss felt really scooped and cold sounding and in comparison this made the treble overly bright.

Now i didnt grt to try it without the bass reducer but it seems (with the bass reducer eq setting whic i was intending for home use doesnt cut it on the athm50s which would mean the same for the m100s)

You are not going to get a sense of the m100 by listening to the m50. I own both and they are not similar whatsoever. The m50 is flatter and also harsh all through the mids and highs. The m100 is smoother and has better transient snap in addition to having better soundstage and fidelity. Then there's the drastic frequency response curve differences.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #19,414 of 23,366
You are not going to get a sense of the m100 by listening to the m50. I own both and they are not similar whatsoever. The m50 is flatter and also harsh all through the mids and highs. The m100 is smoother and has better transient snap in addition to having better soundstage and fidelity. Then there's the drastic frequency response curve differences.

Oh boy isnt that true! 
The M50 is NOTHING like even the Sens Momentum...literally no base, just super flat if you want to call it something. I had to change to the FiiO E17 and push Bass to +10 and the bass on my phone to max to make it sound fuller.. The momentum is  much better to me and I will get the m-100 tomorrow finally to test it.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #19,415 of 23,366
Then there's the drastic frequency response curve differences.

The M50 and M-100 curves are quite similar, with M-100 being "more". More bass and bass extension, deeper V, more treble. But otherwise, yes. M-100 is more clean, more clear, more like a reference headphone.

If you search back you'll find that I described M-100 as everything good about M50 turned up to "more". It really is.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #19,416 of 23,366
The M50 and M-100 curves are quite similar, with M-100 being "more". More bass and bass extension, deeper V, more treble. But otherwise, yes. M-100 is more clean, more clear, more like a reference headphone.

If you search back you'll find that I described M-100 as everything good about M50 turned up to "more". It really is.

Everyone kinda forgets that the dual-diaphragm of the M100 really enables it to have the hefty bass output without sacrificing the mids and highs. Yeah, the mids are recessed, but it's the tuning, not because the bass takes away from it the way it often does on single driver speakers. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #19,417 of 23,366

Everyone kinda forgets that the dual-diaphragm of the M100 really enables it to have the hefty bass output without sacrificing the mids and highs. Yeah, the mids are recessed, but it's the tuning, not because the bass takes away from it the way it often does on single driver speakers. 

Ah good point...I wonder if that is what is blown on that used M-100 I got. The bass part since it rattles bad on the left side and has zero bass.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #19,418 of 23,366
Might be. The reason cheaper headphones with a lot of bass are basically "bass cannons" is the speaker cone is vibrating full-bore to get that low frequency (which takes a lot of movement) and it can't reproduce the mids.

The M100s? No such issue. The bass doesn't muddy anything up because it has a separate surface to be handling that. It can COVER the mids and highs to an extent, but that's just because it's what happens when there's bass in the mix. It's the difference between cranking the bass knob up on your speakers and adding a subwoofer. I think it's a brilliant little bit of design. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #19,420 of 23,366
hey guys, do you know of some replacement cable for the m100?

im looking for a longer one, that has normal 3.5 with 2 bands, instead of the vmoda one that has a 3 band on one end.

anyone got any options?

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #19,423 of 23,366
Has anyone done a balanced mod on these? It would be cool to leave one side normal and have the other with a balanced input.

You can't have both types of connections at the same time: it's either balanced, or not.

If you make it balanced, you have to make some soldering changes with the drivers' cables.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #19,424 of 23,366

I listened to the ATH-WS9 and if you needed to use a bass reducer on that, then you'll need to on the M100's for sure. At that point, you probably should go another (cheaper) route. I personally love the M100 sound and I think its a great overall HP but there's no denying its bass presence (which is something I love).

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #19,425 of 23,366
Has anyone done a balanced mod on these? It would be cool to leave one side normal and have the other with a balanced input.

Moon Audio has it, but it has to be hard wired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back