V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #19,006 of 23,366

i actually dont find the monster dna "bassy", they are north of neutral but nothing like real bassy headphones ala beats studios, or even monster inspiration.

its bass is  pretty close aligned with the mids and treble. treble rolls off a bit quick for me but still more of a darker sound

Are you talking about the DNA Pro or the DNA on-ear? The on-ear are SIGNIFICANTLY bassier than the Pro. 

"Pro"
I'd never buy anything but a HDMI cable from monster.
Monster, go home, you're drunk.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #19,007 of 23,366
"Pro"
I'd never buy anything but a HDMI cable from monster.
Monster, go home, you're drunk.

Sorry bruh, the DNA on-ears are awesome. I think they're my favorite "street" headphone. Look great, sturdy, sound sweet, compact. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #19,008 of 23,366
  If memory serves, the Galaxy S3 has a dang good sound chip in it anyway.

Depends. My GS3 is atrocious (US Cellular version, probably much the same as some of the other major American cellular brands in terms of hardware), and my clip+ blows it away. Just so much noise in the signal and the onboard amp is a joke. I think I have the Qualcomm chip, but I heard the international version has a Wolfson chip, so, like I said, it depends.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #19,009 of 23,366

The M100s are better for rap.  Built better, better seal because of a stronger clamp force, and just a thicker and more sub bass extention in their presentation.  The WS99s are probably my third favorite bass-centric headphones (behind the M100s and the 7520s) so if your budget is ~200 instead of 3 or 4 hundred, then they are a nice upgrade to the M50s.

I like that the M100s are built better and fold up for traveling, and I heard they have better noise isolation too.  I have reservations about the M100 because I read that the mids are recessed and that they're not good for rock/metal.  The mids are recessed in the M50s so I don't want the same problem in my new headphones.  Have you heard the WS99s?  How do you think the M100s perform for rock?  If it were rap only, I would get the M100s but I listen to other stuff too.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #19,010 of 23,366

Well how much bass do you want? These are very thick on the bass, yes, but it's not on the level of "bass headphones" a la Monster DNA or Sony X05. What these do is give you an excellent response and powerful bass along the way. If you're looking for something that'll shake your skull, these won't do it (without EQ'ing that is, they absolutely CAN do it if you amp and tweak). 

How do you think the M100s perform for rock and music that isn't rap/electro?

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #19,011 of 23,366
I recently did a little A-B between my M100 and a colleagues' M50. In my opinion the M100 did better with rock/metal than the M50.

I use my M100 for all kinds of music, but mostly on the go, so listening conditions are not optimal. I listen to rock, metal, electronic, EDM, classical, folk and lots more. I have yet to find a genre the M100 performs bad in. Sure, there are cans that might be better for a certain genre, but that doesn't mean that the M100 is bad.

I'd say the M100 is a decent generalist, with a preference for rap/EDM/electronic.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #19,012 of 23,366
I recently did a little A-B between my M100 and a colleagues' M50. In my opinion the M100 did better with rock/metal than the M50.

I use my M100 for all kinds of music, but mostly on the go, so listening conditions are not optimal. I listen to rock, metal, electronic, EDM, classical, folk and lots more. I have yet to find a genre the M100 performs bad in. Sure, there are cans that might be better for a certain genre, but that doesn't mean that the M100 is bad.

I'd say the M100 is a decent generalist, with a preference for rap/EDM/electronic.

Have you heard the ATH-WS99 or happen to know how the M100s compare to these?

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #19,014 of 23,366
so... i was catching up on the thread and was reading up on the crack issue and i decided to inspect my m-100's. lo and behold!  I got a crack.  well cracks to be exact.  one on each side and in the same spot!

this is on my left cup.

the cracks don't affect the sound.  I've had these puppies since April 2013.  so sad but I still love my m-100's though.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #19,016 of 23,366
so... i was catching up on the thread and was reading up on the crack issue and i decided to inspect my m-100's. lo and behold!  I got a crack.  well cracks to be exact.  one on each side and in the same spot!

this is on my left cup.

the cracks don't affect the sound.  I've had these puppies since April 2013.  so sad but I still love my m-100's though.

It would be interesting to find out how many of the defective units have also had shield changes, either at the factory or by the end user.

I can't remember ever having bought something so (relatively) expensive and being quite so paranoid of having it break on me. The last time would probably have been a car, but there's a helluva lot more to go wrong with a car. They should be tougher than this.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #19,017 of 23,366
It would be interesting to find out how many of the defective units have also had shield changes, either at the factory or by the end user.

i agree. i switcehd out my own plates and i made sure not to screw the screws back in too tightly. just tight enough... i suspect alot of these cracking cups are due to people switching out the plates and screwing the new ones back in too tightly. just a thought...

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #19,018 of 23,366

this is on my left cup.

oh no! i would hate to see that, those white pearls looks so nice, i would hate to use super glue on a pair of vmoda heapdhones i already use them on noontec zoros and it looks unsightly but they still alive and kicking so i can't complain.

maybe i should just leave the plates as it and not change them 

but from the looks of things those are the original plates so unless you had swapped them out before, those cracks shouldn't even be there

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #19,019 of 23,366
Well it doesn't take a brainiac to figure out the design is pretty flawed.

Metal screws against plastic => Curved shape => uneven surface => uneven pressure points building up => the plastic can't withstand the very focused pressure on exactly the spot where it tends to break.

Of course overtightening will only accelerate it, but the design is flawed to begin with. The solution?

A) All metal design (costly, but can withstand uneven pressure buildup)
or
B) Rubber-ring screws (cheap, pressure distributed more evenly across the surface, less chance of a crack happening)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back