V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 26, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #18,811 of 23,366
Not the best there is, but really quite acceptable. But then again, that's only fiddling with the cable sitting at my desk. I'll let you know if I change my opinion after my lunchbreak walk tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, I just returned from my 1.5 mile lunchbreak walk. During activity the paracord cable sleeving performed a little better than I expected when it comes to microphonics.

Test setup:
- V-Moda Crossfade M100 w. Coops Custom Cable (hmmm, that might actually make a nice brandname :p)
- Fiio X3
- Lowa Combat boots (nice and firm soles, sure to send up some extra vibrations)
- Cotton T-Shirt
- Fleece jacket

The X3 was in my jacket pocket, cable routed through a cable hole to the inside of the jacket. Then run up to the headphones in between T-shirt & jacket.

Impact:
On impact, the microphonics were pretty much what you'd expect from a closed over ear headphone. The cable with it's paracord sleeving didn't really influence this as it hardly sent up any noise from the impact of my feet on the pavement. As a reference I disconnected the cable a few times, but there was virtually no change in microphonics.

Scraping:
There was some microphonics due to the cable scraping against my jacket collar and/or my beard. But not as much as I expected. The upgrade cable I have for my Momentum, which is sleeved with some generic tech-flex clone was way more sensitive to this. So there were some vibrations travelling up the cable, but not as much as I thought there would be. All in all it was pretty much drowned out by the noise caused by the wind.

Comfort:
I have a ridiculously sensitive skin, so this is quite important to me. The fairly soft exterior of the paracord actually felt pretty comfy. No red spots from where it was rubbing against my skin. Also as the paracord has a much denser weave compared to the faux tech-flex on my Momentum cable, it did't have the problem where hairs from my beard could get stuck in the sleeving and plucked out with head movement like when making sure you don't get turned into a road-pizza when crossing the street.

Conclusion:
The performance of paracord as cable sleeving is better than expected. It is flexible, looks nice and is comfy when touching skin. But I wonder how durable it will be. As it has a softer exterior than most cable sleeving, it might wear out easier. Ok, it is cheap and taking off a connector to replace is fairly easy, but sliding the paracord outer over the Mogami 3031 is a pain, so not something I'd want to do every few months.

And on another note: The China Special 3.5mm connector I used is not that great. While the fit and finish look quite ok to the naked eye, its real world performance leaves quite a bit of room for improvement. As usual, I measured my cable for shorts in all sorts of crazy curves and awkward bends before using it. I wasn't able to reproduce any shorts or interruptions that way. Yet when connected to the M100, there is a bad connection with the connector rotated in a certain direction (approximately 1/5th part of a 360 degree rotation of the connector poses problems, if the connector is in the other 4/5 there's no problem whatsoever.) This happens on both the left and the right receptacle of the M100, and also when using it as an interconnect between Fiio X3 and my O2.
I measured the cable for continuity and shorts again, but could not reproduce the issue. So it seems to me that the connector is made with quite large tolerances towards the 3.5mm jack specs, or it has a bit of a bend in it (it looks ok though).
Also, it was quite a pain to solder, even with my 1.2mm tip. So it's safe to say I won't be using this type of connector anymore. Too bad, as it does look quite nice. So any suggestions for an alternative 'slim'-type 3.5mm jack are much appreciated :)

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #18,812 of 23,366
I would love to have a Q French silk cable with proper terminations for the M-100.  This would be the lightest, kink-free, zero micro phonics cable choice, I think.  I wonder if they would make one.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #18,813 of 23,366
  I would love to have a Q French silk cable with proper terminations for the M-100.  This would be the lightest, kink-free, zero micro phonics cable choice, I think.  I wonder if they would make one.

That will be nice, but I am not sure they can find a plug that will fit the M-100...

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #18,816 of 23,366
Err... I kind of noticed that the M100's have a more offensive lower treble than my A900X or Q701's. I find this hard to listen to with dubstep or EDM with heavy vocals, will the treble calm down after a while of burn in?

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #18,817 of 23,366
  Err... I kind of noticed that the M100's have a more offensive lower treble than my A900X or Q701's. I find this hard to listen to with dubstep or EDM with heavy vocals, will the treble calm down after a while of burn in?

I noticed tonight that the lower treble in my ATH-A900M is MORE offensive than the M-100 which are NOT offensive at all. Never in my wildest dreams would I have described my M-100 treble like that.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #18,818 of 23,366
I've been looking forward to listening to the M-100 for a while now and finally got the opportunity to order my very own pair.  After all of the hype I was a little disappointed.  To make matters worse I finally ordered the ATH M50RD as well.  A day or two later they arrive and apron first listen I was blown away and stared angrily at the M-100.  Needless to say, I'm all for collecting and such,  but the M-100 are being sent back.  I have given the many more listens and still would not listen to them much over all based on the other cans that I own.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #18,819 of 23,366
  I've been looking forward to listening to the M-100 for a while now and finally got the opportunity to order my very own pair.  After all of the hype I was a little disappointed.  To make matters worse I finally ordered the ATH M50RD as well.  A day or two later they arrive and apron first listen I was blown away and stared angrily at the M-100.  Needless to say, I'm all for collecting and such,  but the M-100 are being sent back.  I have given the many more listens and still would not listen to them much over all based on the other cans that I own.

Care to elaborate a bit? 

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #18,821 of 23,366
NiteWalker:
The ATH-M50's sound good, but nowhere near as good as the M100's IMHO. The M100's are much more clear sounding and have way better bass.

+1
... and much better scene, which in M50 was very narrow IMO.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #18,822 of 23,366

Sorry you could not appreciate the V-MODA M-100.  The bass was probably not boomy or loose or flabby enough for you.  I'm guessing that the frequency curve was not V shaped enough for you and with the M-100 you could hear the midrange and singer's voices more clearly and the treble was not hot and sizzly like you would get with the Sony XB-500, Nixon Master Blaster, Beats Pro (Black) and V-Moda Crossfade LP.

Enjoy your new Audio Technica ATH-M50RD.  It's so RED.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #18,824 of 23,366
  Sorry you could not appreciate the V-MODA M-100.  The bass was probably not boomy or loose or flabby enough for you.  I'm guessing that the frequency curve was not V shaped enough for you and with the M-100 you could hear the midrange and singer's voices more clearly and the treble was not hot and sizzly like you would get with the Sony XB-500, Nixon Master Blaster, Beats Pro (Black) and V-Moda Crossfade LP.

Enjoy your new Audio Technica ATH-M50RD.  It's so RED.

I have read that the M50s have sibilant and fatiguing highs compared to the smooth but detailed M100s treble.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #18,825 of 23,366
Daft Punk's Random Access Memories "Doin' It Right" 
→ V-MODA Vamp Verza →V-MODA M-100 = ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back