V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 20, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #18,676 of 23,366
The other thing to think about with amps is the output impedance.  FiiO amps generally have a very low output impedance (less than 1 ohm), which is very useful if you (a) have a source that has a high output impedance and (b) have a headphone that has a highly-varying impedance curve and goes to a low value (say around 10 ohms) at some frequencies.  Many IEMs have a highly-varying, sometimes low source impedance, and something like a FiiO amp tames any frequency response variations due to impedance mismatch. 

Having said all that, the M100 has a very flat impedance right around 35 ohms, so pretty much any DAP with 5 ohm or lower output impedance is fine.  That includes pretty much all iDevices, all Sony DAPs, and several of the higher-end players, too.  Here's a link to an output impedance compilation (Zo column):

http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html

Innerfidelity's data shows the impedance curve for the M-100. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #18,678 of 23,366
  My crossfade LP's have this issue; they're the white version. Just out of warranty so I'll try some thin super glue.
I'll be watching my two pairs (pair #2 arriving in a few days) of matte black M100's like a hawk though. Cracking on lightly used $300 headphones is unacceptable.

these headphones are just a few days over a month old, im pretty upset that something this premium priced and touted to be "military grade" durable would break in quite a major way and in such a short amount of time. 

I just got the XL pads and they are very nice so i'm going to keep them until I either feel like taking a break from them or the crack gets worse, then they are going back to v-moda.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #18,680 of 23,366
Ya but on amazon they're about 230 used good condition. I'm considering them. I don't care too much about the customization so free shields don't excite me too much

V-moda has re-certified m-100's for $245 in the private sale section of their website, also check out the for sale or trade section of these forums. With all of the issues of sub-par preforming m100's lately I would trust v-moda or a fellow headfier more than amazon. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #18,681 of 23,366
Ya but on amazon they're about 230 used good condition. I'm considering them. I don't care too much about the customization so free shields don't excite me too much

Dude if you're cool with used jump on that. Someone in my area was selling a pair for $200 but I'm weird and like getting the sealed box, otherwise I would have done it.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #18,683 of 23,366
For those of you who want a little more bass out of your m-100's and who haven't bought a portable amp yet, take a look at the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc. It has a little bass boost switch on the side which is perfect for the m-100. To my ears it increases bass volume without making the bass response flabby or coloring the rest of the spectrum. It's funny, I had tried the bass boost with other headphones and thought it was horrible, but it seems to work well with the m-100. In general I think the E12 and the m-100 are a great pair.

At home I use an Asgard 2 and I also think it pairs well with the m-100, but the bass boost on the E12 is pretty nifty.

I'm interested in your comments regarding the E12. Does the E12 bring anything else to the party or is it only useful for boosting bass. I'm pretty happy with the bass as is but I don't really know what's possible with these headphones. I'd be very interested to read your opinion.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #18,684 of 23,366
I have the E12.I was just listening to it and with some songs it sounds very good with the M100s.And some not as good.But it sounds compressed because of the lack of soundstage.Bass sounds great but the overall sound isn't smooth and coherent. But my ALO Double M3 has none of the E12s flaws.If it only had a bass boost it would be the perfect amp.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #18,685 of 23,366
The JDS Labs C5 and C5D avoid the pitfalls of the E12 and they both have a 3-way bass boost switch. It's quite handy for mobile listening!

I find that the C5/C5D widens the soundstage, instrument separation and brings the mids a bit forward. I never really liked the E12 paired with the M-100.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #18,687 of 23,366
I've read a couple of reviews of the E12 and it sounds like just what I'm looking for. The form-factor would also fit in with my Otterbox Commuter cased Note 3. Those JDS Labs models may well be even better but we're moving into a whole new territory, financially speaking.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #18,688 of 23,366
I've read a couple of reviews of the E12 and it sounds like just what I'm looking for. The form-factor would also fit in with my Otterbox Commuter cased Note 3. Those JDS Labs models may well be even better but we're moving into a whole new territory, financially speaking.

The nice part about the C5D is that it's also going to be a DAC improvement over your Note 3 when used via USB-OTG. The E12 is just an amp, and you're *likely* not having problems driving the M-100's out of the Note 3's headphone jack. They are pretty efficient.

No real harm in trying it out, as the E12 can be flipped on the forums here for a relatively small loss if you want to upgrade later. But I wouldn't expect much of a *substantial* sound improvement over the N3's headphone jack (especially since you'll have to use an interconnect and double amp out of that same jack with the E12).

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #18,689 of 23,366
This is why I was initially looking at the E18, the best of both worlds. The JDS Labs C5D sounds undoubtedly better but it's a fair chunk more expensive and much more difficult to find in the UK.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #18,690 of 23,366
I just had a look and I'd pay £120 for next day delivery of a Fiio E18. A JDS Labs C5D would cost $250 before delivery of at least another $50. You guys don't know how lucky you are. Those amps should be direct competitors but not here they're not :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back