V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #18,661 of 23,366

Don't get your hopes up.  It just changes the tone a bit.  I actually like how they put some distance between your ear and the driver so you don't get that weird "air moving around your ear" feeling.  That annoys me.

Eh, it was $20 and if it makes them more comfortable I'll call it a victory anyway. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #18,665 of 23,366
For those of you who want a little more bass out of your m-100's and who haven't bought a portable amp yet, take a look at the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc. It has a little bass boost switch on the side which is perfect for the m-100. To my ears it increases bass volume without making the bass response flabby or coloring the rest of the spectrum. It's funny, I had tried the bass boost with other headphones and thought it was horrible, but it seems to work well with the m-100. In general I think the E12 and the m-100 are a great pair.

At home I use an Asgard 2 and I also think it pairs well with the m-100, but the bass boost on the E12 is pretty nifty.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #18,667 of 23,366
  I was considering buying a pair of m100s, and I was wondering if used from amazon is a good place, cause I heard some people got defective m100s from amazon. 

I bought mine from a Brookstone. You could also get them straight from V-Moda, but that's an extra ten bucks.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #18,669 of 23,366
FiiO E12 is major overkill. Serious overkill. I mean, you need only about 20 mW to drive M-100 to volume levels that will cause permanent hearing damage in just a few hours. E12 delivers 880 mW at 32 ohms. M-100 doesn't need anywhere near that kind of power.

The rule of thumb I learned is that approximately 70% volume should be a comfortable listening level and adjust pre-amp gain accordingly. That gives you enough play up and down to increase or decrease volume for notably quiet or loud music without running up into audible distortion or dropping through the noise floor. The lower the comfortable level is, the less room you have before you drop through the noise floor.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #18,670 of 23,366
FiiO E12 is major overkill. Serious overkill. I mean, you need only about 20 mW to drive M-100 to volume levels that will cause permanent hearing damage in just a few hours. E12 delivers 880 mW at 32 ohms. M-100 doesn't need anywhere near that kind of power.

He was specifically talking about the bass boost...so power aside, if someone is looking to add more low end to the M100, an amp with a boost is a good idea.  I personally think the C5/C5D is a cleaner bass boost...the E12 muddied the mids up a bit more than the C5/C5D does.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #18,671 of 23,366

The rule of thumb I learned is that approximately 70% volume should be a comfortable listening level and adjust pre-amp gain accordingly. That gives you enough play up and down to increase or decrease volume for notably quiet or loud music without running up into audible distortion or dropping through the noise floor. The lower the comfortable level is, the less room you have before you drop through the noise floor.

You're not wrong, but I also own higher impedance headphones that I sometimes use on the go so the E12 fits into my collection well. And with the gain on low, I still have plenty of play with the volume pot. I'm usually sitting at around 11 o'clock. 12 o'clock is about as loud as I could ever want.

Quote:

He was specifically talking about the bass boost...so power aside, if someone is looking to add more low end to the M100, an amp with a boost is a good idea.  I personally think the C5/C5D is a cleaner bass boost...the E12 muddied the mids up a bit more than the C5/C5D does.

Now you've got me thinking about the C5 lol. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #18,672 of 23,366
He was specifically talking about the bass boost...so power aside, if someone is looking to add more low end to the M100, an amp with a boost is a good idea.

Maybe, but I'm just suggesting that E12 isn't a good match for M-100. It works, but so will a cMoyBB. Actually, the current cMoyBB from JDS might be a better choice if all you want is moar bass than your player's EQ can deliver, and it costs half as much as E12.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #18,674 of 23,366
Maybe, but I'm just suggesting that E12 isn't a good match for M-100. It works, but so will a cMoyBB. Actually, the current cMoyBB from JDS might be a better choice if all you want is moar bass than your player's EQ can deliver, and it costs half as much as E12.

I agree with that.  Wasn't ever really a fan of the E12.  I really liked the little C&C BH2 if you want to keep it around 100 bucks.  But prefer having the DAC option as well, so went with the C5D since we're talking about JDS products.  I never tried the cMoy.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #18,675 of 23,366
  Was taking off my stock pads to put on my new XL pads and noticed a pretty sizable crack in one of the ear cups of my m100's, has anyone else seen anything like this? the crack is hard to see in a picture bit it is that white looking line coming from the top left corner of the shield.

My crossfade LP's have this issue; they're the white version. Just out of warranty so I'll try some thin super glue.
I'll be watching my two pairs (pair #2 arriving in a few days) of matte black M100's like a hawk though. Cracking on lightly used $300 headphones is unacceptable.

extra 10 bucks but you get free shields. 

And free custom engraving. :)
Well worth the extra $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back