V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #18,616 of 23,366
Which still sort of defeats the purpose of having such a tiny music player, doesn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Clip's amp is nearly perfect for portable headphones like M-100: 1 ohm output impedance, 15 mW maximum power, less than 0.05% THD, and almost laser-straight frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz. If you really, really need the power then E5 is probably a better choice than E6. But really, M-100 doesn't need the power.

Totally agree. Just throwing it out there :wink: I use mine as a beater DAP with a set of Amperiors/Koss KSC75s for when it's raining or snowing out. Buttons are so much nicer than touch screens for those situations. If the thing breaks...who cares? $20 bucks later you've got another one in pocket. 

I will say though, the audio quality of the Note 3 stock is pretty decent on its own. The Qualcomm WCD9320 seems pretty well implemented. It's sound quality seems pretty comparable to my Clip Zip with efficient phones. (Chokes a bit on anything 250 ohms and up with medium/high sensitivity...but that's certainly *not* the M-100s.) I'm not certain there is much if any audible improvement there with the Sansas, but IMO you should get one anyway just to save wear and tear on your phone. They really are great. 

I've only ever been after better sound, not more sound. Which is why I'm looking for a portable DAC that will improve the sound of my Galaxy Note 3

As far as these go, using a DAC/Amp via USB On-The-Go, the C5D isn't a bad option from a portability standpoint. That thing is wonderfully small. My personal recommendation: I'm a huge fan of the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII. Cons: It is chunkier, both in thickness and weight, than the C5D and that may be a turn off. Also, It only does 16/48 via USB connection.

However, using Opamp AD8610, I've never had a moment of cellular interference on GSM with my Note 2 dual locked right to it. It has extraordinary battery life; I've gotten over 24 hours of use on it between charges. Most importantly: the Leckerton's implementation of the Cirrus CS4398 DAC was a big upgrade sound quality upgrade over my Note 2's WM1811, even with custom kerneled. Nick Leckerton works for Cirrus Audio, and he through careful implementation really got this thing to really sound great. 

At $150, I don't think that the E18 is worth it. By that price point, you're looking at a dedicated player (and the ones that Ratinox recommended earlier in the thread are all spot on). If you're still looking at using your Note 3 as a convergence device shop used on the forums for a nicely cared for Leckerton or C5D. IMO Rock the Note 3 for a bit longer, save up, and decide on which direction you want to go.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #18,617 of 23,366

See Ratinox's post above for which models to get. He spelled it out very nicely. 

I wouldn't pay $50 for one if I could help it. NewEgg has both the Clip + and the Clip Zip refurbished for $19.99. My experience with refurbs has been stellar. (I've bought 6 of them, two for myself and 4 four presents. All of them are going strong still today and I'm not exactly kind with mine.)

See: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3ZF1A86380
And: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3ZF1A86363

I'm in Canada so Newegg.ca  carries apple,archos and that cute little Sandisk copycat HIPSTREET that for some bloody reason is in existence here in Toronto stores like an incubus,mocking us audiophiles.But I did find it at amazon.ca  Sansa Clip Clip+  2GB for $36.95.
Sorry I reposted questions I finished night shift and haven't slept yet.
confused_face.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #18,618 of 23,366

I'm in Canada so Newegg.ca  carries apple,archos and that cute little Sandisk copycat HIPSTREET that for some bloody reason is in existence here in Toronto stores like an incubus,mocking us audiophiles.But I did find it at amazon.ca  Sansa Clip Clip+  2GB for $36.95.
Sorry I reposted questions I finished night shift and haven't slept yet.
confused_face.gif

Not a problem. Re: Night Shift, I understand that feeling entirely too well. Also, when you wrote "like an incubus" I thought you wrote "like Incubus" as in the band. I was going to apologize on behalf of U.S. citizens everywhere.

Wow, I just checked NCIX, Canada Computers, Vision Electronics, and BestBuy.ca...not a thing. I think that Clip + may be the only option available. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #18,619 of 23,366

Not a problem. Re: Night Shift, I understand that feeling entirely too well. Also, when you wrote "like an incubus" I thought you wrote "like Incubus" as in the band. I was going to apologize on behalf of U.S. citizens everywhere.

Wow, I just checked NCIX, Canada Computers, Vision Electronics, and BestBuy.ca...not a thing. I think that Clip + may be the only option available. 

Yes it's pretty pathetic the very limited selection in audio electronics we have here and they make sure of it also on the websites we have access to.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #18,620 of 23,366
I'm going to do two things. I'm going to save up until I have enough money to buy a Leckerton or JDS Labs machine. I'm also going to buy a Sansa Clip + right now and look into rockboxing it. I've noticed on Amazon reviews a few people mention that the Sansa Zip is not rockboxable, for some reason.

I actually rockboxed my Cowon D2 and it was a complete nightmare to do although it did sound considerably better. I'm hoping the Sansa is an easier job to install.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #18,621 of 23,366

How about the Sanza Fuze? Same DAC and implementation as the other models?Oh and is the Zune still in production? I read somewhere that it is similar in sound as the SanDisks.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #18,623 of 23,366
Totally agree. Just throwing it out there :wink: I use mine as a beater DAP with a set of Amperiors/Koss KSC75s for when it's raining or snowing out. Buttons are so much nicer than touch screens for those situations. If the thing breaks...who cares? $20 bucks later you've got another one in pocket.

I just pull the hood of my coat up over the cans. They're really good at keeping my ears warm. No, seriously, when we got that sub-zero F cold snap last month my M-100's kept my ears from freezing while walking to and from the train station.

But yeah, I hate touch screens. I've spent most of my adult life being annoyed by fingerprints on TV and computer screens only to end up in a world where it's de rigueur. Hard buttons is one reason why I want iBasso to get cracking on useful features in the DX50 software. Gimmie crossfeed and usable playlists, dammit! (really, these two things are why I use my Clip Zip more than my DX50).

One silly little mod idea that I've been toying with is attaching a Clip to the headband somehow. Haven't figured out how to do that without damaging anything while leaving the Clip easily detachable.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #18,624 of 23,366
I've noticed on Amazon reviews a few people mention that the Sansa Zip is not rockboxable, for some reason.

That's just because Zip wasn't officially supported by the Rockbox folks until recently. They're rather obsessive about things working 100% before signing off on a port. The new Clip Sport is NOT supported and based on early accounts never will be. Different internals.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #18,625 of 23,366
Makes little difference. I don't need a colour screen and what you say about touchscreens? I'm with you brother. Not to mention that they're unusable in a pocket. When it's raining here, which is pretty much a daily occurrence in Scotland, I use my modified PX100II's.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #18,626 of 23,366
♫♬ touchscreens killed the radio star  ♪♫

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #18,628 of 23,366

Both the Clip Zip and Clip + are fantastic players. Excellent mid-quality DAC chip with near perfect implementation - they punch way above their price point as you can find refurbs for around $20. The stock Clip +/Zip have a pitch error that seems to be firmware based (most people don't seem to notice it). I highly recommend buying one and Rockbox-ing it with Rockbox's firmware (http://www.rockbox.org/), as it both fixes the pitch error and adds a much improved interface with far more features than the stick Sansa firmware.

These little players can definitely drive an M-100 out of the box, but you might want to consider pairing them with a FiiO E6 for a similarly low profile size and a bit more power. 

i'm curious if you or anyone else have any other recommendations for portable media players (the clip is cheap which is ofc awesome) but i'm using the ipod touch and i need the touchscreen because half the songs i listen to arent in english and it gets hard to scroll through so many songs especially when your just looking for that 1-2 out of the say 64gb storage or 32gb storage.

i don't really need the device to do anything else really other hand music. like if i can play video in 720-1080p that would be great but i think only the ipod touch fits that bill.

so i'll just stick with music listening (oh with expandable memory or at least 50gb or under, pretty sure it only goest 4,8,16,32,64gb but whatever ill throw it out there)

Yes it's pretty pathetic the very limited selection in audio electronics we have here and they make sure of it also on the websites we have access to.

i know how you feel i'm another canadian head fi, not much here, rarely any good deals, plus its regularly more expensive

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #18,629 of 23,366
My "broadband" speed is around 340kbps. Whats Spotify?

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #18,630 of 23,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back