V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #18,436 of 23,366
PC > AudioQuest DragonFly 1.0 > M-100 via BoomPro Mic with XL pads mostly for games and VoIP.
Sony F807 > Practical Device Company XM6 > M-100 with NuForce Transient cable for J-pop, rock, alternative, and EDMs.

And yes, I do have Neutron, but I don't use it that much.  Heck, I don't even use my Android stack as much as I should since I got my AK120, M8, and Alpha Dog...

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #18,437 of 23,366
This might not be the best place for this question and if not please feel free to point me to more suitable place.

I'm using my M100's via an Android player. I use Neutron MP for playback mainly but have been experimenting with Poweramp also. I'd be interested how you guys who use either of the above players use the EQ. It would also be interesting to know what music you use for this. I know we all have different ears and musical perception but it might be instructive to learn how some of the more knowledgeable contributors set their players up. Of course if you're using a separate amp or DAC I guess it doesn't really apply to you. Still, might be interesting all the same.

Neutron does have a lot of fine tuning options but at the end of the day I still can't say it sounds better than PowerAmp. Since it all comes down to the UI, then PowerAmp ftw by a mile.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #18,438 of 23,366

Neutron does have a lot of fine tuning options but at the end of the day I still can't say it sounds better than PowerAmp. Since it all comes down to the UI, then PowerAmp ftw by a mile.

And if you're willing to go with a sparse or frustrating UI experience, USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) sounds better than Neutron even without using it to output audio to a USB DAC/amp. I use my AT&T Note 2 as my primary PMP, and have used: Neutron, PowerAmp, Google Play Music, Samsung Music Player, DoubleTwist, WinAmp, Rocket, n7player, and Player Pro. None of them sound better than UAPP - even through the stock hardware on the N2. 

The only bad parts about UAPP are the extremely spartan feature set (as in none, nada, no real substantial features) and the so so UI. The developer is working on making it a more full featured player, but it's a work in progress.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #18,439 of 23,366
I initially downloaded Neutron because the first recommendation I read of something better than Poweramp was for Neutron. Now I'm not so sure as I can get pretty much identical sound out of Poweramp. The one thing I always get confused with is crossfeed. I know it's a good thing and it certainly does help but just how much crossfeed to use always confuses me.

As for UAPP, well I may end up using it anyway because I'd like to use a portable DAC and it seems from my admittedly limited understanding that that means I'll have to use UAPP. Correct me if I'm wrong. The biggest problem right now is finding a DAC that gives an appreciable improvement over stock but for the relatively budget price of circa £100.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #18,440 of 23,366
The one thing I always get confused with is crossfeed. I know it's a good thing and it certainly does help but just how much crossfeed to use always confuses me.

If it reduces long-term listening fatigue then you have enough. Leave it alone.
If it doesn't do this then you'll need something like the head-fit software to figure out appropriate values for your head and ears and then convert them for the crossfeed algorithm used by your player of choice.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #18,441 of 23,366
Good explanation. Consider it now left well alone.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #18,442 of 23,366
A reduced listening fatigue is usually only with stereo recordings that use the effect to the extreme (i.e. some of the recordings from the Beatles had instruments in one ear, vocals in the other). All it does is blend the left and right channels to have a more centered image. For normal use, I would turn that feature off for the best playback experience. The FiiO E12 has such a feature and I don't like it at all with normal recordings, and it destroys the imaging for binaural recordings.

The M-100 has pretty great channel balance to begin with, so the crossfeed feature seems useless for most music.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #18,443 of 23,366
Sorry to disagree with you Miceblue but, well, I disagree with you. Of course it's good for hard-panned older recordings but that's not its primary purpose. It's actually intended to replicate what naked ears would hear in a live setting. Now that could mean an orchestra in a theatre, a rock band in an arena or your stereo loudspeakers in your listening room. In these scenarios no matter how far away the sound is, left or right, it will still be heard by both ears. There will be a delay to one ear or the other but both ears will hear the sound. Crossfeed is simply a way of artificially introducing that delayed sound.

That's my reading of it anyway. Sorry to be argumentative.

Edit - this argument might have less validity when one is listening to music solely produced at a mixing desk with no intention of it being played in a live environment.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #18,444 of 23,366
This is one of the reasons why I got my XM6 (XM4 or 5) with the crossfeed function:

http://www.practicaldevices.com/faq_xm6.htm

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #18,445 of 23,366
Well I got my replacement pair of M-100 in today and it is clear that my first pair was defective. Something was just missing out of the right side of the old pair, this pair sounds almost exactly how I remember them when I auditioned them at Brookstone and I am loving them now. 

I will say that V-MODA customers service was great, they had a shipping label to me basically same day that I called and told them I had a problem.  I emailed them the day after they got delivered to them and they had a new pair on the way the next day. 

Now I just need to decide if I should sell my M-80 or pass them down to the wife. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #18,448 of 23,366
What IEM has the closest sound signature to the m100?

This is tricky as the M100 has a recessed midrange that is not really part of any IEM's frequency response as far as I can see.  

There are IEMs that have strong bass response -- like the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition (BE) or the Sony balanced armatures like the XBA-3.  These IEMs will have more midrange energy than the M100, though.  On the treble side, the GR07 BE is probably the most similar.    But both of these IEMs will likely have more lower treble than the M100.  

You have to be careful in comparing frequency response curves between over-ear headphones like the M100 and IEMs, because IEMs bypass the gain function provided by your pinna. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #18,449 of 23,366
Goes to Google to look up "pinna". :smile:

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #18,450 of 23,366
This is tricky as the M100 has a recessed midrange that is not really part of any IEM's frequency response as far as I can see.  

There are IEMs that have strong bass response -- like the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition (BE) or the Sony balanced armatures like the XBA-3.  These IEMs will have more midrange energy than the M100, though.  On the treble side, the GR07 BE is probably the most similar.    But both of these IEMs will likely have more lower treble than the M100.  

You have to be careful in comparing frequency response curves between over-ear headphones like the M100 and IEMs, because IEMs bypass the gain function provided by your pinna. 

Stupid question but what do u mean by the gain function by pinna (i noe what the pinna is but its the gain function part im curious.

I always thought u just cant compare headphones iems of diff types never really understood y though

I have the vsonic gr07 be and i like very much. Was debating o the m100 or the upcoming xs. . Tylls review saying the bass being 8db above the midrange made me take a step back ( i like my bass but like the gr07 be but still like my neutrality to some extent.)

Im leaning towards the xs cause it seems like the earpad size is an issue for most folks. Hence the release of the xl pads. Cause its on ear no matter how u take it. Plus its more smaller, portable, sleeker. I dont want over ears for portable purposes, looks too big, makes my head look like a melon(on my avg size head).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back