V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 13, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #18,122 of 23,366
just out of curiosity what headphones would be an upgrade over the m100s ...I would like the same fun sounding signature with good bass . and comfy over ears..I have the m100s... but Am itchy for an upgrade if there is one ?.

Ultrasone Signature DJ seems like the natural upgrade with somewhat similar signature but better sound quality.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #18,123 of 23,366
I would say Focal Spirit Pro or Spirit Classic, a little more substantial (or not, haven't heard any of these yet for myself) perhaps would be Sony MDR-7520 or Shure SRH-1540, and then big steps up might be Fostex...assuming you are strictly speaking "closed circumaural" 

I also want to say that my criticism of the XL pads is fading at least a little bit.  I found them thumpy and muddy at first, wishing I could go back to the stock pads (tore them during the swap) despite the dramatically less comfort I experienced with them.  But now I think it has toned down just a bit, and my theory here is that the XL pads do compress a bit over time and lower the air volume between driver and ear, and thus bring the sound a little more back in line.  As an experiment, I press them in with my hands while listening and the sound does improve for the better.  If I can find a halfway point between stock pads and fresh XL pads, I think all will be good.

Focal Spirit are not bassy, well definitely not if you come from a M100. These cans are crystal clear though, but it depends on what is needed.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #18,124 of 23,366
Agreed. If you still want strong bass then Spirit Classic or SRH-1540, and even then, it may take the Ultrasones mentioned above to make you happy. As others have mentioned, if you need a portable yet robust set of headphones, I am not sure I would want for anything other than M-100. I am not a basshead at all, so I bought the M-100 just on overall merit, and think more folks should approach them that way as well. If you like strong, detailed bass, then the stock configuration is just an added bonus, but I feel the overall balance and quality of these headphones are very strong at their price point. I made my original recommendations in this thread just based on the assumption that Jerryberry may want a closed headphone that packs up reasonably well, not necessarily a true portable, or an on-ear, or a basshead can....just a high quality music transducer to fit on one's head, albeit one with a warm signature down low and reasonably strong bass overall. I guess I am still figuring out the fine line between "likes bass" and a "basshead". I think 20% of my listening time would appreciate the former, 0% for the latter. But that is just me.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #18,125 of 23,366
  Ultrasone Signature DJ seems like the natural upgrade with somewhat similar signature but better sound quality.

lol... only a natural upgrade if you are living ontop of mountains of money. hahaha.

personal opinion of course, but i think there are lot of other worthy upgrade headphones to look into before jumping that high up. i would personally try open headphones or sub-$1000 orthos first hahah.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #18,127 of 23,366
  lol... only a natural upgrade if you are living ontop of mountains of money. hahaha.

personal opinion of course, but i think there are lot of other worthy upgrade headphones to look into before jumping that high up. i would personally try open headphones or sub-$1000 orthos first hahah.

That's not necessarily an upgrade though as the signatures of the Orthos are quite different with quite a bit less bass. Ultrasone Signature DJs have a lot in common though with M100; a strong bass output for its price, a slight V-shape signature, meaning the mids are the least in the focus but it's not a deep V-shape sound though. Both isolate reasonably well, are closed etc. So if you like the M100 you will likely feel right at home with Ultrasone Signature DJs and hence a safe recommendation while an Orthos can be a hit or miss depending on the person's preferences. For me M100 -> Orthos wouldn't be an upgrade, it sounds very high quality yes but it doesn't have the kind of sound I'm looking for.

For me there's not many upgrade options from Q40, currently I'd estimate Ultrasone Signature DJs (unsure if mids are forward enough) and Dido Perfect Sound D901 are probably the only ones as an example that fit the bill well and those are like 750-800 EUR headphones compared to 100 EUR Q40, haven't found any "in-between" upgrades yet. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #18,128 of 23,366
Th600 the best cans I've heard/owned and amazing bass. Perhaps a little more treble but much clearer & equates to incredible detail. As above with th900, not portable, pretty much open, very wide soundstage.

The 7520 would probably be your best bet for a mid fi (that can be portable) with a minor sonic upgrade, with great deep bass (but not as much), better clarity and flatter signature, they can double as studio/home cans. Or at the top end Sig Pro / Sig DJ. Im very keen on Focal Spirit Pro as studio cans but they're definitely not v-shaped bass monsters, neutral is the name of the game.
I guess you could look at P7 too but they are not interesting to me, if m100s are a 10 for looks and portability the P7 are a 5, IMO.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #18,129 of 23,366
Just a note for Europeans like me who are STILL waiting for accessories like the BoomPro and CoilPro cables to come our way:

I got a reply from V-MODA stating that unfortunately there is still no time scale for when they will be arriving.

However if you are willing to wait for the delivery they are happy (certainly with me) to refund the difference of International Shipping when you order with them direct so delivery only comes to $5. Cant complain about that!

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #18,130 of 23,366
Just a note for Europeans like me who are STILL waiting for accessories like the BoomPro and CoilPro cables to come our way:

I got a reply from V-MODA stating that unfortunately there is still no time scale for when they will be arriving.

However if you are willing to wait for the delivery they are happy (certainly with me) to refund the difference of International Shipping when you order with them direct so delivery only comes to $5. Cant complain about that!

im here in dk and i want the boom pro and xl pads.. so its free??? i wonder if i will get taxed for these small items 

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #18,131 of 23,366
No not free, they'll just refund the difference from whatever it cost for international delivery to your country except $5 so delivery will only be $5.

I imagine you will still have to pay tax of some kind though.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #18,132 of 23,366
How is the mic quality compared to other headsets with boomic?

I want to buy those headphones but I can't decide between the shadow and the matte black. 
Did someone here used or own both of them? I would like to hear about the difference between them like the headband which is made from different materials how does they fill? How durable they are does there are any sings of use after a few months (I head that the shadow does have sings of wear after time)?  
The matte and glossy parts, does any of them show more sings of wear after time, easier to scratch? 
I really cant decide as for looks which I prefer more so hopefully I can find another reason which one to pick.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #18,134 of 23,366
If anyone read my posts about the random static shock I got from my M100s and also unusal hissing noise now and then when listening to music.

I think I found the reason behind them.

I think it is when I am listening off my Iphone 5, and I get the static shock and hiss when the phone is charging through the computer.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #18,135 of 23,366
Have to say that I was incredibly harsh on these when I first got them.
Something has drastically changed the sound signature.
It happened roughly around the 15 hour mark.
They are breaking in nicely and are pretty damn comfortable for roughly 3 hours.
I'm actually thinking I may have overstretched the headband as it's a bit loose.
However since I'll only be using them at home that should be fine.

They sound very vibrant and accurate, deep bass that carries with outstanding resonance.
The highs are extremely crisp, and the mids have picked up and are more than capable of performance.
One of the more interesting and fun headsets I've listened too.
Can't believe how much they changed from when I first bought them.
Sound signature is ******* fantastic.

Only gripe is buying the Matte Black instead of the Shadow.
Maybe I can bother them for an exchange?
They seem to be pretty legit as far as customer service goes.
I'd love a pair of XL pads as well.

Anyways just wanted to update this - these are solid and incredibly powerful headphones.

-Gorefiend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back