V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #17,733 of 23,366
  Btw, I think M100 definitely is more fun to listen comparing to the m50,but considering the price (doubled of m50 pretty much), I can't really tell which one is the better headphone XD 

Yes the M100s is more fun sounding than the M50. I prefer the M100s, but that is because I primarily listen to trance and hip hop, genres the M100s excel in. Like you said... The M50 is the best in value (referring to sound). It is the better well-rounded headphone of the two. 

However I still prefer the M100s. My two fav. genres sound great with them, they look great, they are very portable, they have great build quality. I read somewhere on this thread the M100s greatly benefit from a e11 amp, so I went ahead and ordered one to see what I am missing...

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #17,734 of 23,366
  Yes the M100s is more fun sounding than the M50. I prefer the M100s, but that is because I primarily listen to trance and hip hop, genres the M100s excel in. Like you said... The M50 is the best in value (referring to sound). It is the better well-rounded headphone of the two. 

However I still prefer the M100s. My two fav. genres sound great with them, they look great, they are very portable, they have great build quality. I read somewhere on this thread the M100s greatly benefit from a e11 amp, so I went ahead and ordered one to see what I am missing...

I'm not sure that the M50 is the best value in sound.  I think that prize goes to the Koss PortaPro.  It's just unbelievable what $25 can get you.

I started with the M50 but the trebles on it are so piercing that it hurts my ears.  They can get hot and sibilant very fast.  Mids are way too recessed on them for me.  I rarely listen to them anymore but I still keep them around just for comparison purposes.  Plus they are "Made in Taiwan", which is very dear to me.

The M100 never gets too hot on trebles and that bass extension is jut awesome.  I love the sub bass that comes out of the M100's.  Trebles and mids are laid back but are clear and never lost, muddled, or congested.  

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #17,735 of 23,366
I'm not sure that the M50 is the best value in sound.  I think that prize goes to the Koss PortaPro.  It's just unbelievable what $25 can get you.

I started with the M50 but the trebles on it are so piercing that it hurts my ears.  They can get hot and sibilant very fast.  Mids are way too recessed on them for me.  I rarely listen to them anymore but I still keep them around just for comparison purposes.  Plus they are "Made in Taiwan", which is very dear to me.

The M100 never gets too hot on trebles and that bass extension is jut awesome.  I love the sub bass that comes out of the M100's.  Trebles and mids are laid back but are clear and never lost, muddled, or congested.  
i think that award goes to the monoprice 8323s :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #17,736 of 23,366
i think that award goes to the monoprice 8323s
smily_headphones1.gif

Koss KSC 75?  $9.99? 
tongue_smile.gif

I should try out the Monoprice, I convinced my co-worker to get them and he has them sitting on his desk.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #17,737 of 23,366
  Btw, I think M100 definitely is more fun to listen comparing to the m50,but considering the price (doubled of m50 pretty much), I can't really tell which one is the better headphone XD 

The M50 is pretty old now and there has been a lot of great alternatives released at that $100 price point.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #17,738 of 23,366
Hello Head-Fiers! Today, after nearly a year of waiting for a sale on the M-100's, I was unable to control myself any longer and just ordered my Shadow M-100's and can't wait for them to arrive! I'm just too excited to explain in words :D. My only question about them is the headband any larger or smaller then that of the LP2's? As I've tried my brothers LP2's out (which are the ones that made me fall in love with the V-MODA sound) and I have to extend the size to their maximum to fit my rather tall head.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #17,739 of 23,366
Hello Head-Fiers! Today, after nearly a year of waiting for a sale on the M-100's, I was unable to control myself any longer and just ordered my Shadow M-100's and can't wait for them to arrive! I'm just too excited to explain in words :D. My only question about them is the headband any larger or smaller then that of the LP2's? As I've tried my brothers LP2's out (which are the ones that made me fall in love with the V-MODA sound) and I have to extend the size to their maximum to fit my rather tall head.

Same size, but better fit.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #17,741 of 23,366
Thank you Existence! I am wondering one more thing though; I don't have an amp, do you, or anyone else think that these cans benefit a great deal with an amp?

I can tell you that they are very good without an amp... However, someone in the thread mentioned being slightly disappointed with them, but completely changed his/her mind after pairing with a Fiio e11

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #17,742 of 23,366
I think the general consensus is that the M100 won't benefit a great deal with an amp, it's just too efficient.  You're better off getting better source materials first.  Pairing with an AMP/DAC will make more of a difference than just an AMP.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #17,743 of 23,366
Same size, but better fit.

Thank you Existence! I am wondering one more thing though; I don't have an amp, do you, or anyone else think that these cans benefit a great deal with an amp?

I have the FiiO E17. It improves the sound a small bit, but paired with the iOS app CanOpener it makes the M100s better overral.
iPod -> CanOpener App -> FiiO E17 -> M100s

I use my E17 for mostly DAC. You'd benefit sound quality wise from a FiiO L11 (Line Out Dock or LOD). Also to get the most of your music, use FLAC or Apple Lossless file formats. If you can't find these, pure MP3 320kps will suffice.

I've tried two amps with the M100, the E17 does the best but M100s are fine without an amp. You really need to EQ them properly to get the most out of them.
Try a FiiO X3 if you really want an amp/player. It's cheaper than an iPod Classic / iPod.
Overral, it really depends on price point. How much are you willing to spend on an amp?

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #17,744 of 23,366
I have the FiiO E17. It improves the sound a small bit, but paired with the iOS app CanOpener it makes the M100s better overral.

I use my E17 for mostly DAC. You'd benefit sound quality wise from a FiiO L11 (Line Out Dock or LOD). Also to get the most of your music, use FLAC or Apple Lossless file formats. If you can't find these, pure MP3 320kps will suffice.

I've tried two amps with the M100, the E17 does the best but M100s are fine without an amp. You really need to EQ them properly to get the most out of them.
Try a FiiO X3 if you really want an amp/player. It's cheaper than an iPod Classic / iPod.
Overral, it really depends on price point. How much are you willing to spend on an amp?

Max price would be around $100. The E17 looks very interesting though. As I'd mostly be using the M-100's with my MacBook Air the portability is important. The E17 looks like it's solid for that. Unless the MacBook Airs already have acceptable/good DACs in them. As you said the E17 would be mostly for its DAC.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #17,745 of 23,366

Max price would be around $100. The E17 looks very interesting though. As I'd mostly be using the M-100's with my MacBook Air the portability is important. The E17 looks like it's solid for that. Unless the MacBook Airs already have acceptable/good DACs in them. As you said the E17 would be mostly for its DAC.

MacBook doesn't have a DAC in it but it has a pretty good sound card.
Macs have really nice sound software. The SPDIF card (might of spelt it wrong) needs to be manually set on a mac.

The E17 is really solid. It's something like $135-$170. Pair it with a FiiO L7 to get clearer sound. A DAC is only good as the cable - make sure the cable is clean, also.
You could just save your money and not buy an amp, but you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back