V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #13,426 of 23,366
Quote:
I personally am extremely, extremely skeptical that someone would be able to hear the difference in sound between black ink & white ink of the earpads. I would imagine that such a minute change in sound between two headphones can probably be attributed to the unavoidable standard variation due manufacturing process.

Quote:
It's a bit like paint, when different color absorbed light and age differently, and this will in turn change the maternal in question over time.  Of course the difference is very slight, but it is there and detectable.

Quote:

Actually, it's pretty easy to tell the difference.  For example, I had the black m80s for a while and picked up a set of whites for my wife.  Her pads were quite a bit softer and broken in out of the box and you definitely could get a better seal with them right away without having to warm the pads up with your ear heat (lol, that sounded funny).  So there actually is a difference and even my untrained ears noticed it.  This was on the M80s where the pads are smaller too, so the variance should have been even less noticeable, but then again, it's on ear versus over ear, so the seal might just be easier to notice the difference.

Quote:
I confirm dbdynsty25's findings.  I've got both the shadow V80s with black earpads and white M80s with gray earpads.  The gray earpads are softer than the black.  The gray pads isolate a little better for me when I first put them on -- this is pretty obvious from listening to ambient sounds with the headphones off.  Slightly more isolation means a slightly stronger seal, which should translate to a slightly different sound. 

How much different, and whether it is noticeable is probably listener-dependent.  Also, heat changes softness, so over time, the two might behave differently.  I'm not planning on experimenting on it, however. 

To bring it back on topic, I find it fascinating that Val notices the very slight difference in the sound of different pads.  I would not have thought of this without his mentioning it.  It is another sign of V-MODA's attention to detail.

Quote:
So I shouldn't worry about getting the black pads, after of continuous and heat they should sound the same as the grey and white ones right? 

Quote:
More or less, and I don't notice any major difference between the shadow and white that I got.

I never thought I would say this, but I completely agree with money4me247.  I think it is more than a stretch to believe the color of the earpads has ANY effect on the sound assuming the same materials are used and they have had the same break-in period which goes back to materials, not color.  Although,  I did shut off my lights last night while in the middle of a song and the sound signature of my M-100 completely changed
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #13,427 of 23,366
Quote:

I never thought I would say this, but I completely agree with money4me247.  I think it is more than a stretch to believe the color of the earpads has ANY effect on the sound assuming the same materials are used and they have had the same break-in period which goes back to materials, not color.  Although,  I did shut off my lights last night while in the middle of a song and the sound signature of my M-100 completely changed
evil_smiley.gif

It may not be the color of the pad.  It may be that the pad itself has a different depth/build in contrast to the opposite color since they won't be built on the same line.  Different manufacturing lines will result in different outcomes possibly.  

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #13,428 of 23,366
Quote:
evil_smiley.gif

lol, well sound perception does supposedly change when other senses are shut down. closing your eyes supposedly will change your perception of sound aswell. im pretty sure turning the light off will have a greater effect than the colour of your pads. but im not speaking from experience, so my opinion is less valid i guess...

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #13,429 of 23,366
Quote:
I literally just saw the worst review for the vmoda m100 first the guy calls it m mods, 2nd he doesn't know the cost of the shields, 3rd he said it has 55 mom drivers, 4 he has multiple spelling errors 5 he literally has red hair lol

Lol, I saw a review where the guy compared his (quoted) "best headphones in the world, beats pro" to the m100 and he said the beat pro is still the best in the world since it has more bass......(EPIC Faceplam)...and it the comments one guy said (with decency) that the m100 is a far superior headphone in every aspects, lows,mids and highs and describing the bass with detail. Then they were like 5 different comments bashing on the guy saying they are highly skeptical that the best headphone in the world, the beats is worse than the "ugly" M100. 

I was like what kind of poop was I reading, UGLY MY BUTT. The M100 is most sexiest headphones that I ever saw!

Some people............

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #13,430 of 23,366
Quote:
evil_smiley.gif

I liken it to a particular brand of dress pants I absolutely love.  I have two of the SAME pairs of dress pants...one khaki and one blue (well and a bunch of other colors as well, but we'll only compare two of them).  The khakis are MUCH softer and wearable compared to the blue ones that are made of the EXACT same material.  Why is that?  Dye and the process it takes to make that particular color.  So it's completely feasible that the dye changes the pad material themselves.  Oh and it also helps that the owner of the company who produces said pads basically backs that claim up himself.  And we know about his attention to detail (OCD).

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #13,431 of 23,366
Quote:

I liken it to a particular brand of dress pants I absolutely love.  I have two of the SAME pairs of dress pants...one khaki and one blue (well and a bunch of other colors as well, but we'll only compare two of them).  The khakis are MUCH softer and wearable compared to the blue ones that are made of the EXACT same material.  Why is that?  Dye and the process it takes to make that particular color.  So it's completely feasible that the dye changes the pad material themselves.  Oh and it also helps that the owner of the company who produces said pads basically backs that claim up himself.  And we know about his attention to detail (OCD).

Or maybe he is a design genius, extremely considerate to the consumer, or overall an awesome person  :D

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #13,434 of 23,366
Guys:

Anybody knows any good non-kevlar 3-Button remote w/mic cable for iOS that will fit the M-100? In fact, i'll take one even if it doesn't fit cause I can shave the plug to make it fit.

I just want a more flexible cable when using my headphones at the gym.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #13,435 of 23,366
Just finished making my video review of the M-100.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #13,437 of 23,366
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

You are missing the point, the key is the material change OVER TIME (a long time in fact) differently with different colors.  However, it is also true that the affect is very small for most people.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #13,440 of 23,366
Quote:
They are kind of warm, with a nice smooth bass, decent midrange, and non fatiguing treble. I found them to be pretty good for most genres :)

Thanks! I was also thinking, what shield color goes best with the V80? I was thinking of getting red or maybe blue. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back