V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #13,186 of 23,366
Quote:
Guys, any free converting program from FLAC to a recognizable format for the ipods pleasE? :) i found a couple, but they have a free trial and then they need a subsciption (paying)... :\

I already mentioned "XLD" on Mac (free) and "Foobar2000" on Windows (free). You don't need to pay for anything for such basic conversions.

You can use those programs to convert FLAC to WAV, AIFF, or ALAC, all of which are compatible on iDevices. Likewise goes for MP3 or AAC as lossy codecs.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #13,187 of 23,366
For me I just use mp3 320kbps, and .aiff, but doesn't ipod/iphones only output 320Kbps? It wouldn't make a difference if it is flac or not? I just use mp3 since it would not take up a lot space in my iphone. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #13,188 of 23,366
I would recommend AAC instead of MP3. But I guess in this biter ate it doesn't really matter.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #13,189 of 23,366
Quote:
For me I just use mp3 320kbps, and .aiff, but doesn't ipod/iphones only output 320Kbps? It wouldn't make a difference if it is flac or not? I just use mp3 since it would not take up a lot space in my iphone. 

320 kbps is the max for MP3's, more or less; AAC can go higher I believe.

FLAC = AIFF = WAV = ALAC = typically much more than 320 kbps since they're lossless codecs. I don't think iDevices would cut down the bitrate for losless codecs....that defeats the whole purpose of lossless.

As for actually hearing a difference, I can pretty much guarantee you can't hear one between 320 kbps and FLAC (but then again, there are always those super golden-ear people).

Quote:
I would recommend AAC instead of MP3. But I guess in this biter ate it doesn't really matter.

AAC is technically superior, but no one can reliably distinguish the difference between the two, so it's a personal preference to the end-user really.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #13,190 of 23,366
Also guys what amp do you guys recommend? I was looking for some portable ones, like the CMOYBB, or the PA2v2, also does amping make a difference with the m100's? I was also considering in the future of purchasing some HD650's so an amp that could power a headphone power hungry as that, and which would provide more of a bass boost if needed? 

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #13,192 of 23,366
Quote:
Also guys what amp do you guys recommend? I was looking for some portable ones, like the CMOYBB, or the PA2v2, also does amping make a difference with the m100's? I was also considering in the future of purchasing some HD650's so an amp that could power a headphone power hungry as that, and which would provide more of a bass boost if needed? 

Short answer: amping does help for instrument definition and overall clarity, and coloured amps with good "synergy" with the M-100 can help bring out the treble and midrange for rock-like music genres

Long answer: amping does help somewhat. The purpose of an amp, traditionally, is to provide more power to the headphone if something can't power it properly. Of course having an amp also introduces different amounts of distortion and whatnot, which is why not all amps sound the same. I own a couple of really clean-sounding amps (JDS Labs Objective 2 and C5), and one good but not as clean budget one (FiiO E7). I've found that between the three, the Objective 2 made the M-100's shine the most. Sound signature-wise the M-100's hardly change at all (as they shouldn't for a transparent amp like the O2), but in terms of instrument separation and definition, things are much better than through any other amp (internal or external), I've tried. So for slightly altering the presentation of the headphones, yes I think the M-100 can benefit from an amp. It will probably sound better with amps of better "synergy", or amps being coloured so the M-100's flaws are "fixed" with the amp's sound signature, but I'm not a fan of those kind of purchases (I think of it as buying a super-expensive sound equalizer).

For the HD650, FiiO E12, JDS Labs C5, and Objective 2 are all [semi] portable amps that I've read work well with them. From personal experience, the O2 sounds great with the M-100, and the C5 is a great pocket-friendly amp. Though probably not enough to drive a HD650, a FiiO E7 also sounds pretty good for the price nowadays.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #13,193 of 23,366
Quote:

If you are looking at the CMOYBB, then why not consider the C5 as it is all the rage right now.  Amping the M-100 gives you a small improvement, and I think a good DAC matter more in this case as with my VAMP/VERZA.  You can always bass boost with EQ, but I think the M-100 even without amping already has enough bass.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #13,194 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

If you are looking at the CMOYBB, then why not consider the C5 as it is all the rage right now.  Amping the M-100 gives you a small improvement, and I think a good DAC matter more in this case as with my VAMP/VERZA.  You can always bass boost with EQ, but I think the M-100 even without amping already has enough bass.

There's actually a good handful of people in the C5 thread with M-100's who usually don't post here [I believe].

As for the VERZA/VAMP, Craigster75 made a similar remark with the VAMP, but how do you know if it's the DAC that makes the M-100's sound good? It's a combo unit, and I don't believe you can eliminate one of the two components to say X is the reason why the M-100's sound good with the combo.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #13,195 of 23,366
Quote:
There's actually a good handful of people in the C5 thread with M-100's who usually don't post here [I believe].

As for the VERZA/VAMP, Craigster75 made a similar remark with the VAMP, but how do you know if it's the DAC that makes the M-100's sound good? It's a combo unit, and I don't believe you can eliminate one of the two components to say X is the reason why the M-100's sound good with the combo.

Normally that's the case, but since I do have the DragonFly and listen to it a lot with my M-100, I know what a decent DAC sounds like with the M-100.  The default DAC from the iPhone is good enough for the M-100, but from my computer with the DragonFly it is just more natural.  I actually tested the M-100 a bit with my Bowers & Wilkon MM1 and its internal DAC and got a similar result.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #13,196 of 23,366
Thanks Guys! I was considering an amp to upgrade from my fiio e6, which in my opinion does improve somewhat to the sound quality. In the e6, I turned it on to the bass boost setting and it does improve the bass, but it is an overpowering bass, it l just pounds your skull with bass, more than (hate to say it) the beats pro and other celebrity cans. That mode I guess is good to show off to people who thinks their celebrity can is better than the V-MODA'S, since they only listen to the bass.

But I really do not think I need an amp, but I was looking around and found some HD650's for around 330 bucks refurb and may be later in the future of investing them. Also I heard they are power hungry, so I thought I might buy an amp that could benefit my m100s and future cans. Anyway open cans do not fit my lifestyle, which is why my m100 was such a great choice.

Funny part now the hype in youtube now is on the UE6000, people in the comments are saying blindly that they are better than the m100's and other high end headphone models. I actually purchased them and noticed that they were a lesser headphone. But I noticed they do offer better bass, but the headphone was meant to compete with the studios.

The M100 now seems to be me my golden pair, but is it me or the headphones seems to be dark compared to the ath-m50's.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #13,197 of 23,366
The JDS C5 is a good bet if not going all out with the VERZA or Fostex HP-P1.  The UE6000/9000 can be easily demoed from any Apple Stores and I did with my VAMP, and they are NO WHERE near the M-100 in terms of sound.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #13,198 of 23,366
The M-100's aren't unlistenably bad unamped and there' plenty of sensitivity there. For iphone+cans they're pretty good. Not T5p good, but for $300 they're impressive. From my CLAS + Alo Rx-Mk3 compared to directly from my iphone 4s, there's noticably more detail. But most apparently, the bass is of much better quality when amped. Tighter and doesn't swamp the mids as much. They don't do the open and airy thing but sound stage is wider and more detailed.

So, you can get the M-100's now and without amp you will be perfectly happy straight from a reasonable player. Later when you buy an amp, imo, you'll hear an improvement.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #13,199 of 23,366
Quote:
The M-100's aren't unlistenably bad unamped and there' plenty of sensitivity there. For iphone+cans they're pretty good. Not T5p good, but for $300 they're impressive. From my CLAS + Alo Rx-Mk3 compared to directly from my iphone 4s, there's noticably more detail. But most apparently, the bass is of much better quality when amped. Tighter and doesn't swamp the mids as much. They don't do the open and airy thing but sound stage is wider and more detailed.

So, you can get the M-100's now and without amp you will be perfectly happy straight from a reasonable player. Later when you buy an amp, imo, you'll hear an improvement.

Very true, and this is why I think getting a good DAC is more important for the M-100 if you don't have one to clean up the signal.  AMP helps but not really necessary in this case.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #13,200 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks Guys! I was considering an amp to upgrade from my fiio e6, which in my opinion does improve somewhat to the sound quality. In the e6, I turned it on to the bass boost setting and it does improve the bass, but it is an overpowering bass, it l just pounds your skull with bass, more than (hate to say it) the beats pro and other celebrity cans. That mode I guess is good to show off to people who thinks their celebrity can is better than the V-MODA'S, since they only listen to the bass.

But I really do not think I need an amp, but I was looking around and found some HD650's for around 330 bucks refurb and may be later in the future of investing them. Also I heard they are power hungry, so I thought I might buy an amp that could benefit my m100s and future cans. Anyway open cans do not fit my lifestyle, which is why my m100 was such a great choice.

Funny part now the hype in youtube now is on the UE6000, people in the comments are saying blindly that they are better than the m100's and other high end headphone models. I actually purchased them and noticed that they were a lesser headphone. But I noticed they do offer better bass, but the headphone was meant to compete with the studios.

The M100 now seems to be me my golden pair, but is it me or the headphones seems to be dark compared to the ath-m50's.

Yeah I agree with your UE6000 vs M-100. The UE6000 is a really good headphone in the $200 USD range, but the M-100 just adds another layer of resolution.

Quote:
Quote:

Normally that's the case, but since I do have the DragonFly and listen to it a lot with my M-100, I know what a decent DAC sounds like with the M-100.  The default DAC from the iPhone is good enough for the M-100, but from my computer with the DragonFly it is just more natural.  I actually tested the M-100 a bit with my Bowers & Wilkon MM1 and its internal DAC and got a similar result.

Right right, but I was saying that the VERZA is an amp/DAC combo, you can't really compare a DAC/amp to just a DAC.

Side note, I'm voice chatting with some fellow Head-Fiers using the Boom Pro Mic [version 1] and people say the clarity is pretty good.

Dat bass
http://lodubs.bandcamp.com/album/lodubs-1212024-egoless-before-after-ep-limited-red-vinyl-edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back