V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #11,821 of 23,366
Thank you guys for checking it out. Can't wait to hear it with my M100.

Some other songs that may be good for bass impact:

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #11,822 of 23,366
Quote:
I picked that song for the bass impact, not bass extension. There is plenty of songs out there for that. But I think this particular song has a really nice and tight "dry kick drum" for measuring bass impact.

Fair enough, but unlike most headphones styled for this kind of music, don't expect the bass to rattle the headphones, as it just won't. Not unless you amp it up with something built to do so.

Beat headphones I would guess for an example, would see this type of song as something to really bang at your head.

If you are happy with the M-80's bass, you would be more than happy with the M-100's bass

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #11,823 of 23,366
Btw, love me some Paris man. One of the most underrated and lethal MC's in history, regardless if you agree with his views or not. I put him up there with Chuck D and KRS One.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #11,824 of 23,366
Quote:
Fair enough, but unlike most headphones styled for this kind of music, don't expect the bass to rattle the headphones, as it just won't. Not unless you amp it up with something built to do so.

Beat headphones I would guess for an example, would see this type of song as something to really bang at your head.

If you are happy with the M-80's bass, you would be more than happy with the M-100's bass

I don't have the M80 anymore. I sold it. As far as amps go I do have the E11. My main source is a Clip Zip but I wonder if I should upgrade to something like a Samsung Galaxy Player or any other good media player with MicroSD. The Zip is good but its tiny as f@ck and sometimes that bothers me. lol

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #11,825 of 23,366
By the way,
Happy 1 year anniversary of the thread!

If you want to test a song with bass, a lot more songs go deeper.
Angel by Massive Attack for example goes a lot lower in its bass.
The start notes are stronger, and then you get an even lower bass line that comes with the drums seconds after.

I love "Angel" and Andy Horace's original reggae version is amazing as well. Massive attack recently released a remastered version of the "Blue Lines" album, here's hoping Mezzanine gets some special treatment as well. I had to buy a second copy of the latter album last year, still sounds good but the "shimmery" processed cymbals began to annoy me about 2 years back, wish they just used nice natural cymbals. Another good band to check out for lots of bass, apparently, is Gemini... Only heard them once during my sister's wedding, but I mean to get some of their stuff for myself!

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #11,827 of 23,366
Listening to some Gemini now, thanks :D

I only got to hear two songs, let me know which ones stand out for you.

And did you realize the thread was "having a birthday" today? Lol. Always enjoy an excuse to have cake...

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #11,829 of 23,366
Can somebody here tell me what the ideal output impedance for an amp powering the M-100 is? I'm stuck between the Magni, Fiio E09K, and the O2 for using with my M-100. The Magni is supposedly too powerful with it's 1.2 watts at 32 ohms and the gain is too high, the E07K has an output impedance of 10 ohms and I'm sure if that is ok for using with the M-100's 32 ohm impedance, and I'm just not sold on the O2. Thanks everyone.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #11,831 of 23,366
Did we ever clear up if these are warranted thru amazon? Or returnable?

Or is ordering these thru amazon, a no go?

I'm thinking of moving on some because I like the warranty of half off the next pair, or whatever it was.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #11,832 of 23,366
Quote:
Can somebody here tell me what the ideal output impedance for an amp powering the M-100 is? I'm stuck between the Magni, Fiio E09K, and the O2 for using with my M-100. The Magni is supposedly too powerful with it's 1.2 watts at 32 ohms and the gain is too high, the E07K has an output impedance of 10 ohms and I'm sure if that is ok for using with the M-100's 32 ohm impedance, and I'm just not sold on the O2. Thanks everyone.

Magni should be OK with the M-100, but you might have background hiss and louder volume (so just turn down the volume knob, unless you get the channel imbalance from the potentiometer).

E09k is meant to drive higher impedance headphones so you won't get the magic #8 damping factor (headphone impedance / amp output impedance; 32Ω / 10Ω = 3.2). A damping factor less than 8 makes changes in the output signal that are audible (AKA colouration) and the E09k's frequency response has a bass and treble roll-off according to Voldemort's measurements.
I'm assuming you meant the E09k when you mentioned the E07k, but the E07k has a low output impedance.

O2 works beautifully with the M-100 and has an low output impedance so you'll get well beyond the magic #8 damping factor.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #11,833 of 23,366
Did we ever clear up if these are warranted thru amazon? Or returnable?

Or is ordering these thru amazon, a no go?

I'm thinking of moving on some because I like the warranty of half off the next pair, or whatever it was.

I asked Amazon and V-Moda, they said Amazon gets vmoda's 2 year insurance and lifetime replacement like ordering from V-Moda, but Amazon had a 30 day refund policy, and V-Moda is 60 days, other wise everything else is the same

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #11,834 of 23,366
Magni should be OK with the M-100, but you might have background hiss and louder volume (so just turn down the volume knob, unless you get the channel imbalance from the potentiometer).

E09k is meant to drive higher impedance headphones so you won't get the magic #8 damping factor (headphone impedance / amp output impedance). A damping factor less than 8 makes changes in the output signal that are audible and the E09k's frequency response has a bass and treble roll-off according to Voldemort's measurements.
I'm assuming you meant the E09k when you mentioned the E07k, but the E07k has a low output impedance.

O2 works beautifully with the M-100 and has an low output impedance so you'll get well beyond the magic #8 damping factor.

What about the e11? Its all I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back