V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #11,461 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm having an issue again now with the SQ but only because I took the tissues out I had in. I tried putting somr new pieces in and I believe I put too much in as the sound dulled. Too little though and they do nothing. I muat have put Just the right amount the first time... damn.

It's all about the thickness. Trust me and it's very picky. I've had the same problem with my Q40 that I've been used with tissues in the cups, I was gonna replace them with newer just for the heck of it even though it didn't really need replacing and well I immediatly noticed it sounded a bit off as the tissues were slightly too thick or well hasn't been settled in like the old ones which are more pressed compact due over time. So ended up putting back the old tissues and everything was fine again.

On my Q40 if the tissues are made too thick then it results in; more distant midrange, thinner sound but bigger soundstage as it's not so "in-your-face", it becomes more laid-back but brighter/colder so to speak instead of warm and smoother and thicker and up-front and more vivid. I'm the guy that prefers a more up-front engaging sound (mainly due to non-recessed midrange), for me it's engaging when vocals are loud and in your face and instruments as well coupled with strong bass. I get bored if I get the Denon D1100 / DT770 sound with distant midrange and feel left out instead of being in the center of it. It's great for classical with the "distant" sound, it sounds more technically natural but I don't like to listen that way to other genres.

It really seems midrange is the first to become recessed as the distance between the ear and driver gets too far away, it makes sense, holding your headphone a bit away from your ears you hear mostly the bass + treble bit, not so much the mids (300 ~ 1000Hz, lower-midrange especially where the thickness to music comes from).

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #11,462 of 23,366
Quote:

From reading some info on the D1 it sounds like the same problem I (and at least one other on this thread) have had with some internal sound cards - It seems like they just don't have the oomph to drive the cans.  Was it basically no mids/highs and distorted bass?  If I remember correctly that's what I got before.

I don't think this is the case.  His AD900 work just fine and they aren't really any easier to drive.  Maybe try calling ASUS.  

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #11,463 of 23,366
I ordered my pair of Matte Black on Wednesday night, with standard shipping, and they came in an hour ago. I have to say I'm very impressed so far. They seem to be very durable, comfortable, and aesthetically beautiful. The SQ is definitely great for Basshead because it provides deep clean bass while not affecting the Mids or highs. The Highs do seem a bit laid-back. The mids are probably a bit recessed too but I'm so used to that I don't even notice. I'm interested to see if they change at all throughout burn in.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #11,464 of 23,366
Not sure what happened, but I don't think V-moda offers the M-100 with orange shields anymore...

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #11,465 of 23,366
Not sure what happened, but I don't think V-moda offers the M-100 with orange shields anymore...

Likely just out of stock. I wanted to order the green ones a few weeks ago but they werent there.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #11,467 of 23,366
Likewise. I want a purple audio only and green audio only. I like the orange cable but the button and voice control are useless with my iPod

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #11,468 of 23,366
Quote:

It's all about the thickness. Trust me and it's very picky. I've had the same problem with my Q40 that I've been used with tissues in the cups, I was gonna replace them with newer just for the heck of it even though it didn't really need replacing and well I immediatly noticed it sounded a bit off as the tissues were slightly too thick or well hasn't been settled in like the old ones which are more pressed compact due over time. So ended up putting back the old tissues and everything was fine again.

On my Q40 if the tissues are made too thick then it results in; more distant midrange, thinner sound but bigger soundstage as it's not so "in-your-face", it becomes more laid-back but brighter/colder so to speak instead of warm and smoother and thicker and up-front and more vivid. I'm the guy that prefers a more up-front engaging sound (mainly due to non-recessed midrange), for me it's engaging when vocals are loud and in your face and instruments as well coupled with strong bass. I get bored if I get the Denon D1100 / DT770 sound with distant midrange and feel left out instead of being in the center of it. It's great for classical with the "distant" sound, it sounds more technically natural but I don't like to listen that way to other genres.

It really seems midrange is the first to become recessed as the distance between the ear and driver gets too far away, it makes sense, holding your headphone a bit away from your ears you hear mostly the bass + treble bit, not so much the mids (300 ~ 1000Hz, lower-midrange especially where the thickness to music comes from).

Gah, I threw away the pieces. Why did I do that?!
They really do make a difference :frowning2: They actually sound now how I thought they did prior to burn in... But I placed the pieces in a couple of days before I noticed them sounding radically different. I need to get the thickness right

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #11,469 of 23,366
^^^^^ It could also be from compression on the paper towel. Like Val says, you gotta lets the pads 'burn in' to get the proper fit/seal. Perhaps it's the same with your paper towel.
Either way, I PM'd you
atsmile.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #11,470 of 23,366
I've been playing around with my different dac/amp combos and decided to pull my ARCAM rPAC out of retirement. All I can say is that it is a really good match with the M100.  The digital volume control on the rPAC moves up in incremental steps and I can fine tune it nicely.  It went into retirement because I found it a touch bright but paired with the M100 it brings out the mids and highs just a touch more than anything else I've tried and suits my tastes perfectly. Anyway, here's the list of comb's I've tried (EQ turned off):
  1. AudioEngine D1 - Nice, full bodied, great bass kick with mids a little recessed but the volume control is way too touchy.
  2. Schiit Bifrost and Magni - Just sounded rough and the volume control was way too touchy. I could manage the volume with Audirvana+ but still didn't like the sound. I'm not having much luck with the Magni but am holding onto it until I can try it with the HE500.
  3. Schiit Bifrost and Lyr - Call me crazy but this combo works quite nicely.  The Lyr has smooth volume control at the low end and brings the M100 sound to a whole new level. Smooth as silk with slightly recessed mids. I know I can change that just by tube rolling. It's the most detailed setup of the bunch.
  4. AudioQuest DragonFly - Unfortunately the DF does not work on either of my Macs. I must have corrupted something somewhere.  Anyway, it does work on my HP Windows 7 netbook.  The sound is very similar to the AE D1 with maybe a touch more detail. Just wish I can get the DF working with my MacBook Air.
  5. My favourite in the setup is with the rPAC. Maybe not as detailed as the DF but it pushes the mids up just a touch to how I like them.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #11,471 of 23,366
Quote:
I've been playing around with my different dac/amp combos and decided to pull my ARCAM rPAC out of retirement. All I can say is that it is a really good match with the M100.  The digital volume control on the rPAC moves up in incremental steps and I can fine tune it nicely.  It went into retirement because I found it a touch bright but paired with the M100 it brings out the mids and highs just a touch more than anything else I've tried and suits my tastes perfectly. Anyway, here's the list of comb's I've tried (EQ turned off):
  1. AudioEngine D1 - Nice, full bodied, great bass kick with mids a little recessed but the volume control is way too touchy.
  2. Schiit Bifrost and Magni - Just sounded rough and the volume control was way too touchy. I could manage the volume with Audirvana+ but still didn't like the sound. I'm not having much luck with the Magni but am holding onto it until I can try it with the HE500.
  3. Schiit Bifrost and Lyr - Call me crazy but this combo works quite nicely.  The Lyr has smooth volume control at the low end and brings the M100 sound to a whole new level. Smooth as silk with slightly recessed mids. I know I can change that just by tube rolling. It's the most detailed setup of the bunch.
  4. AudioQuest DragonFly - Unfortunately the DF does not work on either of my Macs. I must have corrupted something somewhere.  Anyway, it does work on my HP Windows 7 netbook.  The sound is very similar to the AE D1 with maybe a touch more detail. Just wish I can get the DF working with my MacBook Air.
  5. My favourite in the setup is with the rPAC. Maybe not as detailed as the DF but it pushes the mids up just a touch to how I like them.

You try contacting AQ about the DF?  Their support should be pretty decent.  

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #11,472 of 23,366
Now I am having another problem. I have thought that the right ear sounded less loud than the left ear since I received these, but I didn't think much of it. However, I've noticed that when I press very gently on the top of the right ear cup, the sound goes out in the right ear for as long as I hold my finger there. If I press repeatedly in short bursts (very, very gently) the sounds goes in and out. There is a brief moment of distortion before sound goes out, so it is not a matter of where the cups are positioned on my ears. The same does not happen to the left ear when I press on that one. So it seems like an internal connection issue. This happens regardless of which ear the cable is plugged into. All the jacks are connected correctly, and this happens through my E7, laptop, and iPhone. I'm very disappointed in these. I am returning them tomorrow, and then the search begins for a pair of headphones that works...

edit: Every once in a while, the sound seems to become distorted in the low frequency range of the right ear, and then it resolves itself after about a second or two. 
edit2: the volume is about even when i reduce the left ear by 12 dB. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #11,473 of 23,366
Jan 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #11,474 of 23,366
Hey guys would love any help since I am a newb with audio stuff. Picked up a set of the m100's and to be honest I wasn't all that thrilled coming from the turbine pro golds. My dilemma is this: I just got a new macbook air and have been listening to my vmodas on this alone. I had to crank the volume to nearly 90% to even get good bass and actually power them, where as the turbines at 60% and they would boom my ears off.

Little did I know, I tried the vmodas on my ipad mini and BAM! they hit like a ton of bricks and made me completely fall in love with them!.. I'm assuming my problem is that the macbook air doesn't have the juice to drive them hard enough yet the ipad mini strangely enough did. What can I do to remedy this, is this where an amp comes into play?? I don't necessarily need MORE bass, (if I can great but not needed), just more power to drive them and more volume .. Thanks for any help guys!

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #11,475 of 23,366
I have a 2011 MBA and an iPad Mini it goes plenty loud enough with good slam on both.  There is no way I can run full volume on either of them.  Can you try the M100 on another MBA? 
If you're looking at a portable amp, take a look at my post on the previous page.  It gives you some options and opinions. Tou could also look at something like the FiiO E07 which would be a good entry level unit.
Quote:
Hey guys would love any help since I am a newb with audio stuff. Picked up a set of the m100's and to be honest I wasn't all that thrilled coming from the turbine pro golds. My dilemma is this: I just got a new macbook air and have been listening to my vmodas on this alone. I had to crank the volume to nearly 90% to even get good bass and actually power them, where as the turbines at 60% and they would boom my ears off.

Little did I know, I tried the vmodas on my ipad mini and BAM! they hit like a ton of bricks and made me completely fall in love with them!.. I'm assuming my problem is that the macbook air doesn't have the juice to drive them hard enough yet the ipad mini strangely enough did. What can I do to remedy this, is this where an amp comes into play?? I don't necessarily need MORE bass, (if I can great but not needed), just more power to drive them and more volume .. Thanks for any help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back