V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #11,401 of 23,366
Mmmmm

Just gonna say what's already been said, cuz I'm enjoying it a lot right now;

ZO2.3 paired with M-100 is a bassphile's dream. I don't use the word basshead, because this is some delicious bass and the rest of the spectrum is unhindered, and just as beautiful as without any boost at all. I beleive the term is 'googobs' of bass, and detailed to boot. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #11,402 of 23,366
Quote:
Mmmmm

ZO2.3 paired with M-100 is a bassphile's dream. I don't use the word basshead, because this is some delicious bass and the rest of the spectrum is unhindered, and just as beautiful as without any boost at all. I beleive the term is 'googobs' of bass, and detailed to boot. 

In the spirit of taking things one step further because we can, try double-amping the ZO2.3 with the E11,  just don't use bass boost on the E11 at the same time if you don't want to blow out your drivers.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #11,404 of 23,366
Why use 2 amps at once? Isn't the Z02.3 also an amp?

Anyway, as I walked to work today, and of course took headphones, I did a direct comparison with the Momentums at the Apple Store.
Again unplugging and using my own source and the
same songs for both, and just switching.
Again no issues with staff. They all seem rather techy so nothing really phases them.

I can conclude, as I did last time, detail retrieval is alot better on the M-100s and it just sounds more lively.
The bass on the M-100s goes deeper, and is much tighter with again better details.
I played a trance song for example and noticed how flabby the bass was in comparison. I'll call it bouncy..
Tried a few rocky songs including Pierce The Veil - Hell Above and the vocals didn't sound as different as I thought they might. Not enough to make the Momentums a better purchase. Plus with the seperation/soundstage being better on the M-100s.

Maybe the Momentum's amp better? I was only running direct from my S3 with the wolfson dac but volumes still reached good enough levels.

But yeah, I know for sure now, for my ears at least. The detail retrievel and tighter bass alone makes these worth the purchase.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #11,405 of 23,366
Mmmmm

In the spirit of taking things one step further because we can, try double-amping the ZO2.3 with the E11,  just don't use bass boost on the E11 at the same time if you don't want to blow out your drivers.

Well I'm awaiting a c&c bh which to my understanding is comparable with an e11, so ill give some impressions with that dual amp gangbang (can't even call it a pairing)

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #11,406 of 23,366
Quote:

Anyway, as I walked to work today, and of course took headphones, I did a direct comparison with the Momentums at the Apple Store.
Again no issues with staff. They all seem rather techy so nothing really phases them.

I can conclude, as I did last time, detail retrieval is alot better on the M-100s and it just sounds more lively.
The bass on the M-100s goes deeper, and is much tighter with again better details.
I played a trance song for example and noticed how flabby the bass was in comparison. I'll call it bouncy..
Tried a few rocky songs including Pierce The Veil - Hell Above and the vocals didn't sound as different as I thought they might. Not enough to make the Momentums a better purchase. Plus with the seperation/soundstage being better on the M-100s.

Maybe the Momentum's amp better? I was only running direct from my S3 with the wolfson dac but volumes still reached good enough levels.

But yeah, I know for sure now, for my ears at least. The detail retrievel and tighter bass alone makes these worth the purchase.

First, I completely agree with your M-100 vs. Momentum comparison.

Regarding the double-amping, I tried several combinations.  The ZO is the best for bass boost, but doesn't boost the entire range as well as the E11.  By double-amping, I have the best of both worlds where the M-100's are pushed to the max across the range and bass reverberating just below distortion level.  I typically only use this combo while working out.  For "normal" use, I run the M-100 through Vamp which brings out the superb detail in the mids while I stare at my Hypnocube.

Oddly enough, Vamp + ZO doesn't work well for some reason.  Vamp is the best I have heard by itself in a portable setup.  Since I believe Verza will also have bass boost, Verza + M-100 will be one formidable portable combo and hard to beat.

Based on amping and recording, I view the M-100 as two different headphones- basshead can and audiophile headphone.  I can't think of any other headphones that can do both so well.

EDIT: Yup, bass boost!
0105-00300-003b4.jpg

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #11,407 of 23,366
Quote:

Regarding the double-amping, I tried several combinations.  The ZO is the best for bass boost, but doesn't boost the entire range as well as the E11.  By double-amping, I have the best of both worlds where the M-100's are pushed to the max across the range and bass reverberating just below distortion level.  I typically only use this combo while working out.  For "normal" use, I run the M-100 through Vamp which brings out the superb detail in the mids while I stare at my Hypnocube.

Oddly enough, Vamp + ZO doesn't work well for some reason.  Vamp is the best I have heard by itself in a portable setup.  Since I believe Verza will also have bass boost, Verza + M-100 will be one formidable portable combo and hard to beat.

Based on amping and recording, I view the M-100 as two different headphones- basshead can and audiophile headphone.  I can't think of any other headphones that can do both so well.

What the heck? Haha...
Why does it say battery/bass boost?
You reckon, it'll either use the power to give bass boost, or recharge the source?...

Plus, a 3D button? i.e environment adding/reverb/spaciousness (not done well on most programs I've tested)

Hmm... I know it sounds daft, but I'm really tempted to try the Verza.. expensive or not, I really want to try it.

I just want to confirm, that it'd come with everything needed to plug the S3 in digitally, using the bottom plug.

I wonder what those pin hole type things are on the left?

As for the Vamp, Craigster, how much do the mids improve? Does it keep everything else the same?

Most likely though, I won't need to use bass boost, as I find the bass enough already, and the 3D effect would probably be left too.
It'd be interesting to see what settings Val used, as he stated that he was getting the best setup out of the M-100's, and Samsung S3.

EDIT:

That cube looks awesome!

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #11,409 of 23,366
Quote:

What the heck? Haha...
Why does it say battery/bass boost?
Vamp has the same dual purpose button for battery and VQ sound- a quick press is battery test; press and hold is VQ

You reckon, it'll either use the power to give bass boost, or recharge the source?...
I think the bass boost is just EQ and it works like Vamp so it will charge your source

Plus, a 3D button? i.e environment adding/reverb/spaciousness (not done well on most programs I've tested)
VQ on my Vamp is subtle.

Hmm... I know it sounds daft, but I'm really tempted to try the Verza.. expensive or not, I really want to try it.
It is supposedly comparable to Vamp and Vamp is friggin' awesome

I just want to confirm, that it'd come with everything needed to plug the S3 in digitally, using the bottom plug.
Great question.  I am curious how it would connect with Iphone 5 if I upgrade.

I wonder what those pin hole type things are on the left?
LED indicators

As for the Vamp, Craigster, how much do the mids improve? Does it keep everything else the same?
Vocal improvement is significant regarding presence and detail.  VQ boosts up the high end to address any complaints about the highs not extending far enough.

Most likely though, I won't need to use bass boost, as I find the bass enough already, and the 3D effect would probably be left too.
It'd be interesting to see what settings Val used, as he stated that he was getting the best setup out of the M-100's, and Samsung S3.
Vamp sounds great as is, so I only occasionally use VQ.

EDIT:

That cube looks awesome!
The light show is fantastic- feels like a low budget Las Vegas trip (saving vacation $ for more headphones and amps).

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #11,410 of 23,366
Would you guys recommend these for a basshead?  I had a pair of CKS77s and they were amazing, but unfortunately the right bud went out. After having the CKS77 I had some really high expectations and bought a pair of WS99s. So far the bass is really disappointing so I'm looking for an ultimate basshead replacement.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #11,411 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks Craigster :D
I have no idea what VQ means however, but thanks for clearing a few things up :)
I'm guessing since it's meant to be used as an Android, and Apple amp/dac, it would have all the accessories needed. So in terms of the S3, it would need the OTG micro USB cable attachment in it.
Quote:
Would you guys recommend these for a basshead?  I had a pair of CKS77s and they were amazing, but unfortunately the right bud went out. After having the CKS77 I had some really high expectations and bought a pair of WS99s. So far the bass is really disappointing so I'm looking for an ultimate basshead replacement.

These do go low, but unlike most bass cans, the bass is clean/detailed/expansive, but with a solid range throughout, that doesn't get muddled by the bass.
I tried a pair of skull candy headphones my couson had over Christmas, and even though they rattled the skull (The M-100's wont do that without bass boost if that is what you are after), the rest of the sound was muddy/muddled.

If you are wanting both bass, and a detailed headphone, you can't go very wrong.
You may want to consider amping if you want more bass, i,e using the Z02.3 everyone is mentioning on the thread to give that rattling effect.

But I'm more than happy by the bass reproduction.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #11,412 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

0105-00300-003b4.jpg

Hmmm That does look like a sexy amp, and the features have just put it on my watch list... Perhaps one day I WILL get one, but right now I'm not in need of a portable DAC/amp, nor can I readily justify to myself the value I'll get form something so pricey when I could REALLY use a new phone haha. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #11,413 of 23,366
For the SpeakEasy cable, does anyone know what the hole on the back of the button part is for? I tried a phone call today and the person at the other end could hear me all right.
*sigh* dropping your Clip Zip and having the micro SD card randomly eject somewhere on the concrete sidewalk is unfortunate, so I've been using my iPhone as my source.

I'm listening to Seal's Soul 2 album at the moment, and I don't think the standard M-100's are right for Seal's soul music as his voice seems pretty veiled by the bass guitar.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #11,414 of 23,366
I just received my M-100's and I gotta say... I am not amazed. This thread made me expect amazingawesomenirvananess. I had previously been using the UE 6000's and I don't really hear much of a difference and the M-100's actually sound kinda muddy. They are also way less comfortable than the UE 6000's. Is there something wrong with my ears guys? Do these get way better with burn-in (also read somewhere that comfort gets better)?

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #11,415 of 23,366
Quote:
I just received my M-100's and I gotta say... I am not amazed. This thread made me expect amazingawesomenirvananess. I had previously been using the UE 6000's and I don't really hear much of a difference and the M-100's actually sound kinda muddy. They are also way less comfortable than the UE 6000's. Is there something wrong with my ears guys? Do these get way better with burn-in (also read somewhere that comfort gets better)?

You shouldn't leave a review until after burn in. As many others have made that mistake, and then corrected themselves after burn in. Give it time.
As for comfort, try laying the headband somewhat flat to reduce the clamp force once in a while, until they start to naturally adjust better to your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back