V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 22, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #9,691 of 23,366
Quote:
Val,
Happy turkey day to you as well. The writeup on Amazon looks great. My only constructive feedback is where you say "Ultra-Extended Highs" which might lead some to think overly bright like Grado and Ultrasone instead of the smooth extended highs the M-100 actually offers. I think you are selling the high end short by using this description.

I usually read manufacturer claims with a grain of salt as I thought "Ultra-Extended Highs" were a part of the 5 Hz - 30 kHz frequency response.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #9,695 of 23,366
Quote:

I just saw this on v-moda's facebook page - I wonder if this is the secret new product they're gonna be releasing? :p

A high THD, warm-sounding tube amp with a warm-sounding headphone. Not my cup of tea, but evidently people love that kind of sound (HD650 with Woo Audio WA3).

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #9,698 of 23,366
Quote:
Would love to see the m100's up on amazon.ca soon!  Still looking for a place I could order them from without getting hit my customs/brokerage fees.

.ca you say? Canadian eh? 

Well I'll let you know if I get dinged with customs when mine arrives, I ordered mine from V-Moda. In my experience I'veo nly ever gotten hit with customs if I order something through UPS, or FedEx or any other privaitized mail service. I took my chances with the track-less, snail mail to hopefully avoid customs. I think I also put it down as a gift, that's also worked for me getting past customs fees - why should the recipient of a gift pay customs? They don't. 

I'm hoping this all works out in my favour.

Also, Happy Turkey Day, 'Murica. XD

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #9,699 of 23,366
Quote:
.ca you say? Canadian eh? 

Well I'll let you know if I get dinged with customs when mine arrives, I ordered mine from V-Moda. In my experience I'veo nly ever gotten hit with customs if I order something through UPS, or FedEx or any other privaitized mail service. I took my chances with the track-less, snail mail to hopefully avoid customs. I think I also put it down as a gift, that's also worked for me getting past customs fees - why should the recipient of a gift pay customs? They don't. 

I'm hoping this all works out in my favour.

Also, Happy Turkey Day, 'Murica. XD

I ordered mine with the cheaper tracker-less shipping and I didn't pay any extra fees, whereas someone else ordered them with the faster one with the tracker and had to pay the customs fees.  You should be safe then I guess.

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #9,700 of 23,366
Quote:
I ordered mine with the cheaper tracker-less shipping and I didn't pay any extra fees, whereas someone else ordered them with the faster one with the tracker and had to pay the customs fees.  You should be safe then I guess.

Hmm... I didn't fancy waiting up to 4 weeks extra for delivery. But if I do have to pay customs, they'll be more expensive from V-Moda than straight from Amazon I think. Depends how much they charge. We will have to see.

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #9,701 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmm... I didn't fancy waiting up to 4 weeks extra for delivery. But if I do have to pay customs, they'll be more expensive from V-Moda than straight from Amazon I think. Depends how much they charge. We will have to see.

Can't change it once you've ordered it now though.  It didn't take 4 weeks for me, it was closer to about 2 weeks.  It really doesn't come much faster if you choose the faster shipping, the only benefit is the tracking.

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #9,702 of 23,366
Quote:
Can't change it once you've ordered it now though.  It didn't take 4 weeks for me, it was closer to about 2 weeks.  It really doesn't come much faster if you choose the faster shipping, the only benefit is the tracking.

Dang...
How much could customs charge?
How do they go about asking for the money?

-----

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:
  1. customs duty
  2. excise duty
  3. import VAT
and must be paid whether:
  1. you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
  2. the goods are new or used (including antiques)
  3. the goods are for your private use or for re-sale

"However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for customs duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.
Where the value of gifts is below £630 per consignment, a flat rate of duty of 2.5 per cent will be applied, but only if it is to your advantage."

Hmm... 2.5%

That is less than £6

It says if the price of customs is less than £9, then they generally won't ask for it.

"Customs duty is charged (but will not be collected if the amount of duty is less than £9). Import VAT is chargeable on the full value."

Import VAT though could be a killer... but its confusing as to wheather the import VAT is for the full amount or the amount of something else.

---
EDIT:

All in all, I've figured in the worst case scenario, I will be charged an extra £37.60 or thereabouts.
That will make my headphones worth in total, including delivery:

£272 rounded up to the closest pound

So all in all, around the same in total as Amazon at £270.

Just have to wait and see now.

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #9,703 of 23,366
Quote:
Dang...
How much could customs charge?
How do they go about asking for the money?

-----

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:
  1. customs duty
  2. excise duty
  3. import VAT
and must be paid whether:
  1. you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
  2. the goods are new or used (including antiques)
  3. the goods are for your private use or for re-sale

"However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for customs duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.
Where the value of gifts is below £630 per consignment, a flat rate of duty of 2.5 per cent will be applied, but only if it is to your advantage."

Hmm... 2.5%

That is less than £6

It says if the price of customs is less than £9, then they generally won't ask for it.

"Customs duty is charged (but will not be collected if the amount of duty is less than £9). Import VAT is chargeable on the full value."

Import VAT though could be a killer... but its confusing as to wheather the import VAT is for the full amount or the amount of something else.

Oh, if you're talking about shipping to the EU...I don't know then.  It's probably different.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #9,704 of 23,366
From past experiences its near enough 20-30% of the value of the item plus any admin fees the courier company charges.
I almost always get stung with stuff coming from US to UK, especially higher value items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back