V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #6,046 of 23,366
Quote:
Welcome!

Some new goodies coming out:

Sony R1 and Sennheiser Momentum. You obviously know about the M-100. :)

As for me, the only circumaural sealed headphone I currently own is the Sony MDR-Z1000 (discontinued). I'm pretty happy with it. Nice all-rounder and is not fatiguing (at least to me)--been enjoying it the past few days.

Oh yeah and the AKG K550 is also pretty popular here as well. But you gotta do your own research and make up your own mind of course.

Thanks So much for replying :)  I think Sennheiser Momentum will be out of my range..and Sony MDR Z1000 is sure a good phone to have...About AKG K550 I read that it is not that good in the lows..and I want a headphone that is really good in lower spectrum. I did not get a chance to hear AKG 550's but from the reviews I think they have not as good bass as Denon's 2000. What do you think about AKG's 550???Earlier I was really interested in that....Pls let me know ur thoughts about these....Thanks!!!

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #6,047 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks So much for replying :)  I think Sennheiser Momentum will be out of my range..and Sony MDR Z1000 is sure a good phone to have...About AKG K550 I read that it is not that good in the lows..and I want a headphone that is really good in lower spectrum. I did not get a chance to hear AKG 550's but from the reviews I think they have not as good bass as Denon's 2000. What do you think about AKG's 550???Earlier I was really interested in that....Pls let me know ur thoughts about these....Thanks!!!

I did not care for the K550.  I have a big head and the cups were so large I could not get a good seal which impacted the sound.

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #6,049 of 23,366
Lovebeats,
We don't know what the sound signature will be on an unreleased product. Our guess is that it'll be like the V-MODA M-80 with more treble extension, how much is a mystery, and if you haven't heard an M-80 then you'll want to read some reviews on that.

AFAIK, the AKG K550 is not "not that good in the lows," they just aren't as bass-heavy as some other models. They aren't bass-light either... the bass presence is just slightly warmer than how the audio was originally mixed. Basically, the AKG K550 is very good, and you wouldn't notice any "flaws" unless you have a lot of experience listening to other high-quality headphones. Things you WOULD notice without side-by-side testing would be features that are on the V-MODA M-100: folding hinges, extra cable, mic for smartphones, style differences, fit differences, durability, warranty program... So the AKG K550 isn't a bad headphone, but you gotta make some choices for yourself about what will fit better into your lifestyle.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #6,050 of 23,366
Quote:
It's just the older models! p.s They sound good with akg headphones..

Well I have a K172 HD I bought and gifted to my elderly mom. I'll probably be borrowing them now and again and giving them a shot on the new Rocoo. Thanks for the heads up, the new player should be shipping this coming Monday. Hopefully it'll arrive before the M-100 and I'll have it loaded up with music ready to go. I'm hoping the M-100 really meshes well with the Rocoo

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #6,051 of 23,366
Quote:
Lovebeats,
We don't know what the sound signature will be on an unreleased product. Our guess is that it'll be like the V-MODA M-80 with more treble extension, how much is a mystery, and if you haven't heard an M-80 then you'll want to read some reviews on that.
AFAIK, the AKG K550 is not "not that good in the lows," they just aren't as bass-heavy as some other models. They aren't bass-light either... the bass presence is just slightly warmer than how the audio was originally mixed. Basically, the AKG K550 is very good, and you wouldn't notice any "flaws" unless you have a lot of experience listening to other high-quality headphones. Things you WOULD notice without side-by-side testing would be features that are on the V-MODA M-100: folding hinges, extra cable, mic for smartphones, style differences, fit differences, durability, warranty program... So the AKG K550 isn't a bad headphone, but you gotta make some choices for yourself about what will fit better into your lifestyle.

Evshrug,

Thanks for replying!!! I agree about M100 its hard to tell exactly how they are going to sound untill they are released....I have not heard M80's in person but from the reviews that I have been reading for a while now I can tell they sound amazing...I own M50's..I love them..But its time for an upgrade now and I want a headphone which have a significant better low end than M50..I also agree with you on AKG 550..it has some solid reviews ..But I would not be buying headphones for a long time after this purchase..otherwise my wife would kill me..:)...For now M100 seems to be an amazing package..looks, build quality, awesome M80 sound signature...I will wait until they are released....Thanks again for comments!!!

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #6,052 of 23,366
Here's a guess on the secret feature and what it may have to do with Apple….

The new cable with Siri integration.

Sure there's mics out there, but maybe this new Mic/cable has functions unique or is improved for use with Siri. Also from past readings, Apple was working on new audio, not sure if it was a new audio file format, or new driver technology. I know Steve preferred vinyl and hi fidelity quality, so who knows.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #6,053 of 23,366
Quote:

im sure that apple is working on a way to make a proprietary headphone connection to their iphones... any way to make sure that they have full control... IE "all the $" coming into them..They change their pinouts on their iphones every other year.. so all the $$$ accessories that you bought for your iphone 4s will not work with the new iphone 5.... too bad because they make some cool stuff.. oh well.. apple has been dead to me for years.. the same thing sony had been trying to do as well.. is also dead to me..VMODA 4 da winz

It will be stupid for apple to change to a proprietary headphone jack. Highly unlikely for it to happen. Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this is the first time apple changing the 30pin connector into something  smaller since the inception of iPod? 

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #6,054 of 23,366
Quote:

im sure that apple is working on a way to make a proprietary headphone connection to their iphones... any way to make sure that they have full control... IE "all the $" coming into them..They change their pinouts on their iphones every other year.. so all the $$$ accessories that you bought for your iphone 4s will not work with the new iphone 5.... too bad because they make some cool stuff.. oh well.. apple has been dead to me for years.. the same thing sony had been trying to do as well.. is also dead to me..VMODA 4 da winz

(rolls eyes)

Yeah ok sure, I guess no other tech companies out there are trying to do the same thing or haven't done it already, right. If it wasn't for Sony and Apple you would still be playing music on cassette tapes and paying 30 plus dollars for CD's. Man........tech geeks and their name brand holy wars give me such a headache. This is a headphone appreciation thread not Boy Genius Report or Android Police dude go peddle your rotten fish somewhere else.

P.S.
Get off the computer and go do your math homework before I call your mom. She finds out you're messing around instead of doing your algebra she'll take away your internet privileges and your cellphone.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #6,055 of 23,366
Quote:

It would make no sense for Apple to change the headphone jack and/or make it proprietary. It aint like they're making a truckload of money off their headphones. In regards to the charger, utterly bogus. The reason they've changed it, is to make it smaller. Apple always wants cleaner profile and thinner. The new charger will be decreased to accommodate the new thinner profile, along to make space for other components inside. 

BTW the reason Apple uses that type of connector instead of a standard micro USB, is because it can charge, send audio/video, file transferring, and lock the device in place.

So it has its advantages over other types of connectors, it isn't a ploy by Apple to make more money.

Also, rumors indicate that Apple may make the pin connector a 'mag safe' connector, which will be mos def rad!!!

I still believe that Apple is a VModa partner in some way.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #6,056 of 23,366
Quote:
It will be stupid for apple to change to a proprietary headphone jack. Highly unlikely for it to happen. Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this is the first time apple changing the 30pin connector into something  smaller since the inception of iPod? 

Nope, they change the dock connector about every 2 to 3 years since they came out with the newer ipod touches and iphones, maybe even earlier than that. I really cannot figure out why they would change the pins, while keeping the overall size of the port the same. I remember a while back when they had one of these changes, it was something as small and pointless as switching 1 pin with another, while keeping the size and shape the same. I never have or will understand why apple does half the stuff it does.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #6,057 of 23,366
Quote:
Nope, they change the dock connector about every 2 to 3 years since they came out with the newer ipod touches and iphones, maybe even earlier than that. I really cannot figure out why they would change the pins, while keeping the overall size of the port the same. I remember a while back when they had one of these changes, it was something as small and pointless as switching 1 pin with another, while keeping the size and shape the same. I never have or will understand why apple does half the stuff it does.

I already explained why.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #6,058 of 23,366
Quote:

It helps the accessory suppliers make more money (as well as Apple's own accessories and Dock Connectors).  Swapping these pins makes them not work (charging-wise or some other needed feature) so the user is forced to upgrade his accessories.  Now Apple seems to be switching towards a 19-pin connector (vs 30) that is to be closer to the size of MicroUSB (and speculated MicroUSB will be able to charge it; EU requirement that cells [should] be compatible with MicroUSB by some certain date).  

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #6,059 of 23,366
Quote:

you might have explained your "opinion", but by no means must we buy it.Apple changed the pin out on their 2nd and 3rd gen iphones and left the connectors visually unchanged.They are known in the market for subtly changing things in their connectors to make sure that they continue making huge$$$$ in the accessory market. Accessories have a huge freaking markup and apple knows this.Ignorance can and sometimes is bliss.

+1, forgot to mention that.  Each accessory has to have Apple licensing to be used.  They make dough, so does the accessory maker.  It's actually good for both of them XD  Of course if you know which pins are swapped, you can cross them yourself to fix the product...  This voids all warranty though XD

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #6,060 of 23,366
Blah blah blah. Enough with the Apple hate. I'm not particularly a fan of Apple but let's not turn this into an apple bashing thread, especially seeing as V-Moda's direction seems to be one involving a healthy amount of Apple integration.

Anyway, M-100's coming out soon. Excite. Awesome. Cool beans. Fantastic.

If there's nothing else, I'd say just let the thread die until something really cool shows up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back