V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #5,116 of 23,366
Quote:
After listening to the M-80s for a bit, I sure hope the M-100 has far better treble extension and sparkle. The M-80s just roll off way too early. I don't want a smooth Sennheiser sound. I want an Audio-Technica or Grado treble extension.

Im afraid that probably wont happen as Val (rightly so) will try to avoid hearing loss issues, I believe he has spoken about this before

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #5,119 of 23,366
I fly a ton, so I ordered a set of faders that I am going to try out under the headphones.  My hope is that between the isolation of the headphones, the isolation of the faders, and the extra volume of music that I need to overcome the faders, the noise will be completely overcome.  The only questions now is will it be comfortable and will the faders kill the sound signature.

I will definitely be reporting how this combo works in my M-100 review.

I did this as soon as I read your post. While it isolates beautifully, it does muffle the sound a bit. Also, since the Faders stick out a bit, it makes the inside of the headphone rest on the back of the faders. The bass rumble you get is pretty awesome, though.

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #5,120 of 23,366
Quote:
I did this as soon as I read your post. While it isolates beautifully, it does muffle the sound a bit. Also, since the Faders stick out a bit, it makes the inside of the headphone rest on the back of the faders. The bass rumble you get is pretty awesome, though.

Thanks for doing the experiment!

What headphones did you use?  I am not going to worry too much about whether I will have the same issue with the headphones hitting the faders just yet since that will probably be person and headphone dependent. 

As far as the sound though - Do you think it muffles bad enough that it'd be worse than fighting airplane noise or does the sound maintain enough of its fidelity to make for a good compromise? 

Don't get me wrong, I knew it wouldn't sound as good as the headphones sitting in my office, but I was hoping it'd be better than just having the headphones alone (or my IEMs) with the background noise.

***EDIT*** I also wonder if there isn't a portable amp with an EQ (something a little cheaper than a VAMP) or an EQ app for the iphone that we can't pair these headphones with to counteract the frequency response of the faders

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #5,121 of 23,366
I'm on the subway doing this as I type (above ground going over the Williamsburg bridge.) The high and low frequencies take a small hit, and overall sound becomes slightly veiled. However, isolation is amazing. I could barely hear the train pull up and conversations around me became the slight murmur of highly educated insects. I'm using a pair of V-MODA V-80s.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I had to turn up my phone LOUD. I have a Samsung Infuse 4G with Voodoo Sound, which allows the phone to go over it's normal volume limits and I had the volume up 100%. I don't know if an iPhone/iPod would be able to output enough volume for this to work, so an amp may be necessary. Oh, and you can feel dubstep doing this. At least, I could. Having the driver housings resting on the Faders caused the vibration to trickle into my skull in a pleasant manner. I just hope doing this won't damage my drivers over time.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #5,123 of 23,366
Email them with your order number and request a cancellation. They'll get back to you tomorrow.

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #5,125 of 23,366
Quote:
Im afraid that probably wont happen as Val (rightly so) will try to avoid hearing loss issues, I believe he has spoken about this before

Still can't find any indication of higher frequencies being more damaging than lower freqs. Best guess to avoid hearing loss is simply listening at lower SPL. In this regard I consider rolled off highs as potentially even more damaging due to the volume is still being comfortable to listen to, but loud enough to do damage to ones ears. And yes, hearing loss normally starts beyond 4kHz, but that is no indication of the source of the problem.

Keeping the volume down the decision of rolled off or not is simply a matter of preference -- not to say there aren't strong opinions about that. Still the DT1350 signature fits my taste much better than the M-80 does: therefore I won't take the M-100 in consideration if it does not go for a more linear representation...

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #5,126 of 23,366
Quote:
Still can't find any indication of higher frequencies being more damaging than lower freqs. Best guess to avoid hearing loss is simply listening at lower SPL. In this regard I consider rolled off highs as potentially even more damaging due to the volume is still being comfortable to listen to, but loud enough to do damage to ones ears. And yes, hearing loss normally starts beyond 4kHz, but that is no indication of the source of the problem.

Keeping the volume down the decision of rolled off or not is simply a matter of preference -- not to say there aren't strong opinions about that. Still the DT1350 signature fits my taste much better than the M-80 does: therefore I won't take the M-100 in consideration if it does not go for a more linear representation...

Whilst they both do damage, from what I've read it seems at normal music listening levels its much harder for low freq to damage hearing as much as high freq, especially if one listens over a prolonged period of time. Also, our ears are much less sensitive to the lowest freq, so damaging the nerve endings that pick up 1KHz+ will be a hell of a lot more noticeable anyway.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #5,130 of 23,366
So excited for the official update. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back