V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #16 of 23,366
I've been thinking about getting myself some M-80's, but I might just stick around for these babies to come out.. And I'm willing to be a guinea pig, too! Not that I have too much experience with headphones at all, though. :p

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #17 of 23,366
I was really hoping for M80's sized up to be over ears, but this actually better in concept.
While I'd prefer to have an un-amped solution for over ear cans, I think I'd mostly be using them at home myself. I'll be using 10X3's for portable, so something like this would be used outside seldomly. Plus it'd give me an excuse to finally get an amp.
That being said, if we could get a more portable option I think most would prefer that. Plus it'd make it easier to sell on the standard consumer market.

On a side note, does anyone else really love Val and the guys at V-moda for catering to the audiophile market?
I mean it's one thing to design your build around being high end, but actually joining the community to get feedback just makes it that much better.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 23,366

Quote:
I was really hoping for M80's sized up to be over ears, but this actually better in concept.
While I'd prefer to have an un-amped solution for over ear cans, I think I'd mostly be using them at home myself. I'll be using 10X3's for portable, so something like this would be used outside seldomly. Plus it'd give me an excuse to finally get an amp.
That being said, if we could get a more portable option I think most would prefer that. Plus it'd make it easier to sell on the standard consumer market.

On a side note, does anyone else really love Val and the guys at V-moda for catering to the audiophile market?
I mean it's one thing to design your build around being high end, but actually joining the community to get feedback just makes it that much better.

I completely agree about the second part.
As for the first part the problem is that in order for V-MODA to sell to mainstream and to audiophiles they have to build something that sounds good throughout the spectrum of sound with a slight emphasis on the bass (for the mainstream). What could be done is to satisfy the mainstream demand is to make what is a more full sized M80 but sounds better or is very similar but with more bass and does not require amping (not sure if that can be done) while at the same time make a limited edition model perhaps using the same shell and drivers but revamped or even new drivers that could require amping (if they need it) that was designed for audiophiles without the bass emphasis and have a much more neutral sound. 

That's just my two cents. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #20 of 23,366
Agreed its nice and refreshing to see Val taking the time to get involved in the forums and hear our feedback. Not to mention V-MODA's customer service has been top notch.

After enjoying my M-80s as much as I have been, I really can't wait to hear the M-100s. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 23,366
Quote:
I completely agree about the second part.
As for the first part the problem is that in order for V-MODA to sell to mainstream and to audiophiles they have to build something that sounds good throughout the spectrum of sound with a slight emphasis on the bass (for the mainstream). What could be done is to satisfy the mainstream demand is to make what is a more full sized M80 but sounds better or is very similar but with more bass and does not require amping (not sure if that can be done) while at the same time make a limited edition model perhaps using the same shell and drivers but revamped or even new drivers that could require amping (if they need it) that was designed for audiophiles without the bass emphasis and have a much more neutral sound. 

That's just my two cents. 

I personally don't think the M80s require any amping at all, as I can drive them through my J3 at a low volume and still get a full rich sound.
If I were put a number on where the M80s would be on a 1~10, 1 being bass-end and 10 being treble, I would put it at around a 4. I assume the LP2s are in the 2~3 range (from reviews), so a I'm looking forward to the M100s which is basically M80xLP2s. My guess is that it will be exactly what you stated: an audiophile pleasing headphone that will still be "mainstream" and consumer friendly.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 23,366
Hi, brand new to the forum, but I've been following the V-mode M80 discussion right from the start and jumped over here since I've been looking for a new pair of headphones that were better quality than what I have.

Firstly, I'd like to say kudos to Val for being around and spending time in the forums like this. It's not every day someone at a company does that and it certainly gives you a +1 compared to other companies I might be considering buying from.

Speaking as someone that is more of a consumer and maybe a wannabe-audiophile, I'd be a little disappointed if I had to amp the M-100s. I've been looking at them since they were first mentioned in the M-80 thread since I was leaning towards the M-80s for my next pair of headphones, but I've been holding off since I wanted to wait for more information with these. Now while I wouldn't mind the higher price point compared to the M-80s; all that I'd really want from the M-100s would be better isolation, bit better sound and maybe a slight change with the cables. If I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones, I wouldn't want to carry an amp as well, especially since (as a consumer) I wouldn't a) know to buy an amp b) want to spend an extra xxx$ on an amp c) portable headphones are supposed to be portable.

I also heard or seem to remember that the cable is going to be on the right side due to DJing purposes?

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #24 of 23,366

Quote:
Is there any reason why there can't be 2 versions? Sort of like the difference between the 32 and 600 ohm Beyer's or something...

That is very similar if not exactly what I was trying to describe in my post although I was thinking a mass produced model and a low volume or even limited production run higher end but potentially based off the regular version.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #25 of 23,366
I know I'm biased here, but whatever solution works the best plugged into the DJM would be ideal. DJs love your headphones so why not make us your best pair?

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 23,366

Quote:
I know I'm biased here, but whatever solution works the best plugged into the DJM would be ideal. DJs love your headphones so why not make us your best pair?

I agree, DJM series (Pioneer Mixers) and iPhone 4/iPad 1 is what was used to primarily develop the LP/LP2 and used somewhat for the M-80.  I had a bunch of famous producers/DJs use the M-100s this last week on DJM-900 and 800s, we got some great results (and these DJs switched from HD25 and Sony 7506s).

Quote:
That is very similar if not exactly what I was trying to describe in my post although I was thinking a mass produced model and a low volume or even limited production run higher end but potentially based off the regular version.

I'd like to in a future model, the LP/LP2 is two slight variations already for DJs.  The big issue is in supply chain, it makes it difficult to make multiple drivers and switch.  

The M-80 is what I feel an "in the middle" headphone, yet bassheads sometimes want a bit more sub 100Hz shaking club sound.  But I am a basshead, and I love M-80 as is - it's just right for me for everyday use, but doesn't work as well for me to play live with for extended DJ sets.  Right now the M-100 is split in between a M-80 and LP2 (LP2 has slightly lower bass than LP1). 

M-100 won Best of Show @ CES from Beatweek, check it out!  I love the picture of it, don't you?

http://www.beatweek.com/interviews/12416-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-headphones-beatweek-2012-best-of-show-at-ces/

We've been working hard on finalizing these for months as we demoed it to a select few at CanJam and CES (this is why Steve was so amped over at CNET).  We won't release a product until it covers the target user's needs, Head-Fi's and M-80's feedback has crafted this product, just as I did the LP/LP2 with the 50+ DJs/electronic producers.  Secondly as another barometer, I'd want to buy it myself. It's almost there, we aiming for perfection and settle for excellence!

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 23,366
I'm close to buying a purely home pair of cans and an amp to take over the m-80s when I'm wearing them for very extended periods of time and I was wondering if I should wait for the m-100s? I was looking at the HD600s and Beyer 880s (q701s are on the backburner since they're less versatile than I'd like).

Do you think they'll compete Val?

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #28 of 23,366

Quote:

M-100 won Best of Show @ CES from Beatweek, check it out!  I love the picture of it, don't you?

http://www.beatweek.com/interviews/12416-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-headphones-beatweek-2012-best-of-show-at-ces/

Photo? I don't see no photo! Oh, I see what you're doing . . . buzzzzz marketing . . . What a tease! (or maybe you're talking about Snooki with her rhinestone covered incognito M-100s disguised as another brand?!?! 
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #29 of 23,366
I have to say my anticipation for the M-100's is so great I cannot help but think about wearing them when I listen to music.

I have to ask Val if you do not mind answering, do you think the M-100's will drop before July? I only ask since I will be heading to a convention at the end of that month (which also happens to have a rave).

I actually found out about V-Moda from last year's con seeing (or I would have to say "hearing") a pair on someone's neck from across the hotel lobby. I was astonished by how loud yet clear they were. I would love to have the M-100's this year so I can show them off in the same way while indulging into some great music the entire time.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #30 of 23,366

Quote:
I have to say my anticipation for the M-100's is so great I cannot help but think about wearing them when I listen to music.

I have to ask Val if you do not mind answering, do you think the M-100's will drop before July? I only ask since I will be heading to a convention at the end of that month (which also happens to have a rave).

I actually found out about V-Moda from last year's con seeing (or I would have to say "hearing") a pair on someone's neck from across the hotel lobby. I was astonished by how loud yet clear they were. I would love to have the M-100's this year so I can show them off in the same way while indulging into some great music the entire time.

Yes, they'll drop before July, April is anticipated date.  Sorry to keep everybody waiting, the sound of these is very important and is a huge responsibility.  I'm assessing all feedback I've received over the last few months, interestingly a lot of the audiophiles liked it bass heavy w some of the M-100 protos as long as the highs were clear, present and extended further.  There is a meet in March for Head-Fi in LA, I'll let people try them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back