V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 28, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #21,571 of 23,366
Sure there is.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737888/veni-vidi-vici-v-modas-new-iems-alto-forza-crowdsourcing-reviews-discussions-thread#post_10950699

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #21,572 of 23,366
I'm expecting the Schiit Fulla soon. I know it's a DAC/Amp but in any case I'll give you my impressions. Don't have a solo DAC currently

Let me know how you like it :) I meant to say DAC/amp in my post. I really want something light and portable that I don't mind bringing around to use with my laptop/phone, I don't think I'll be using my M100s much while I'm at my PC. I might just pick up a cheap FiiO to use for now. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #21,573 of 23,366
Well...

I feel like crap.

I lost my M-100 headphones at my University yesterday. And obviously, the person who found it, took it by chance. No one reached out to the Uni library or somewhere else...

240€ -> Wush. Away. 

**** it.

I just can't really. I'm devastated since yesterday. 

I gave up the thoughts of getting them back though. I reached out to the Uni again and nothing was returned sadly... 

Nope. And I'm daily music listener... Not sure what to do. I have the money to buy the same pairs... But... Nope. Sadly my Eminem metal plates were on the headphones too (Exclusively made by the headphones company..). So yeah those are obviously away too. So even if I bought the same headphones again... Nah I won't.

Sucks. I wish people wouldn't be ********. If it was me, I would directly return a found item to the lost and found office or basically to the University library (In this case) or what ever. I'm stalking Ebay/Ebay Marketplace a bit to see if someone sells the exact same pairs...

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #21,574 of 23,366
After a few days of use I am finding that there is not enough bass to my liking. Maybe reading all the reviews hyped it up for me too much. I understand that they are a lot more bassy than a lot of other cans out there but for some reason I feel like I need more. Maybe I really am an extreme basshead. I listen to almost exclusively electronic music.

Not to say that I'm not enjoying them, they're definitely a quality piece of equipment. Overall sound quality is great and the highs are better than I expected, although not super sparkly. Maybe my source could be improved upon? I'm using these with an iPhone 6 as well as a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina, playing mostly MP3s (I know). I'll try some FLAC files later when I get the chance. Maybe its time for an amp? From what I've read these are not that hard to drive. 

Or maybe they just need some more time. Since these are my first real cans I spent quite a bit of time reading up about burn-in and it seems the verdict is still out on whether or not it actually exists (and if its quantitatively measurable), although it seems more people believe in it than not. So far I only have about 20 hours of play on them, about a third of that being burn-in/white/pink noise/etc. and the rest being actual music.

At least they look great and I got them for only $200. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #21,575 of 23,366
I used mine for about a month without dedicated HP amp first. During that time I used them on a Samsung Galaxy S2 and at home on my Yamaha stereo amp. They gave a warm, bassy sound alright, not too much, just balanced imho, though it certainly was way less bassy on the S2 especially one time when I needed to push the volume on a train ride and it just started to distort.

Then I bought an HP amp. Man, it did transform them. They're super bassy now and super clean at any volume. Almost too bassy to my liking I have to admit. So yes, despite what numbers say, I would suggest getting an amp, they will benefit from it.

That being said, even if I think they will be better with an amp, I'm still surprised you find them lacking in the bass department without one. They really are a properly bass-able pair of headphones and I doubt you will have much other choices in that price range for an even bassier pair. Have you tried using an equalizer ?

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #21,576 of 23,366
  After a few days of use I am finding that there is not enough bass to my liking. Maybe reading all the reviews hyped it up for me too much. I understand that they are a lot more bassy than a lot of other cans out there but for some reason I feel like I need more. Maybe I really am an extreme basshead. I listen to almost exclusively electronic music.

Not to say that I'm not enjoying them, they're definitely a quality piece of equipment. Overall sound quality is great and the highs are better than I expected, although not super sparkly. Maybe my source could be improved upon? I'm using these with an iPhone 6 as well as a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina, playing mostly MP3s (I know). I'll try some FLAC files later when I get the chance. Maybe its time for an amp? From what I've read these are not that hard to drive. 

Or maybe they just need some more time. Since these are my first real cans I spent quite a bit of time reading up about burn-in and it seems the verdict is still out on whether or not it actually exists (and if its quantitatively measurable), although it seems more people believe in it than not. So far I only have about 20 hours of play on them, about a third of that being burn-in/white/pink noise/etc. and the rest being actual music.

At least they look great and I got them for only $200. 

I plugged mine into a friend's iPhone 6 to do a couple checks.  They sounded ok, but definitely not as good as when hooked up to an external amp.  That's part of what makes these nice, though.  They're on that upper-edge of the easy to drive can.  They can be listened to on just about anything, yet still benefit from an amp.

That said, your source isn't exactly ideal, but you already know that.  Grab the HD sampler from HDTracks and see if they still don't sound good.  It includes 10 FLAC files intended to prove that FLAC is superior and thus get you to buy more from them.  That has the welcome side-effect of being good demo material for testing speakers, headphones, amps, etc.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #21,578 of 23,366
  Let me know how you like it :) I meant to say DAC/amp in my post. I really want something light and portable that I don't mind bringing around to use with my laptop/phone, I don't think I'll be using my M100s much while I'm at my PC. I might just pick up a cheap FiiO to use for now. 

So I just got the Fulla Schiit.
atsmile.gif
 I've been using it for about 15 minutes now and I am really surprised by the difference in sound. I've been reading how DAC/Amps only make a slight difference, which is true, but that subtle change in sound makes a big difference. Everything feels crisp, the bass is tighter, the soundstage is wider but there still is that M100 warm audio signature. I feel like just closing my eyes and just listening to every track possible.

The Fulla appears to suit the V-Moda's  sound quite well. Note that slow beat music, like chillstep, some house etc. have major improvements IMO. Drum&Bass doesn't really sound much better unless it's a well mastered track, trance has a slightly clearer sound again depending on the track results might vary. Nu-metal seems to have a good improvement as well.. Rock sounds really good too. 

In general the big gainers seem to be the bassier tracks. The Fulla seems to distinguish the lows, mids and highs much better than the M100 could alone. 

Apologies for this half-assed review. It was meant to be just my first impressions 
regular_smile .gif

Overall seems like a solid $100 purchase for the M100s.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #21,579 of 23,366
  I used mine for about a month without dedicated HP amp first. During that time I used them on a Samsung Galaxy S2 and at home on my Yamaha stereo amp. They gave a warm, bassy sound alright, not too much, just balanced imho, though it certainly was way less bassy on the S2 especially one time when I needed to push the volume on a train ride and it just started to distort.

Then I bought an HP amp. Man, it did transform them. They're super bassy now and super clean at any volume. Almost too bassy to my liking I have to admit. So yes, despite what numbers say, I would suggest getting an amp, they will benefit from it.

That being said, even if I think they will be better with an amp, I'm still surprised you find them lacking in the bass department without one. They really are a properly bass-able pair of headphones and I doubt you will have much other choices in that price range for an even bassier pair. Have you tried using an equalizer ?

I haven't tried an EQ yet. Do you have any suggestions for a good one? I'm pretty new to the audio world, as you can probably already tell. 

I plugged mine into a friend's iPhone 6 to do a couple checks.  They sounded ok, but definitely not as good as when hooked up to an external amp.  That's part of what makes these nice, though.  They're on that upper-edge of the easy to drive can.  They can be listened to on just about anything, yet still benefit from an amp.

That said, your source isn't exactly ideal, but you already know that.  Grab the HD sampler from HDTracks and see if they still don't sound good.  It includes 10 FLAC files intended to prove that FLAC is superior and thus get you to buy more from them.  That has the welcome side-effect of being good demo material for testing speakers, headphones, amps, etc.

I'll get the HD sampler when I get home from class and see how they sound. 

So I just got the Fulla Schiit. 
atsmile.gif
 I've been using it for about 15 minutes now and I am really surprised by the difference in sound. I've been reading how DAC/Amps only make a slight difference, which is true, but that subtle change in sound makes a big difference. Everything feels crisp, the bass is tighter, the soundstage is wider but there still is that M100 warm audio signature. I feel like just closing my eyes and just listening to every track possible.

The Fulla appears to suit the V-Moda's  sound quite well. Note that slow beat music, like chillstep, some house etc have major improvements IMO. Drum&Bass doesn't really sound much better, trance has a slightly clearer sound. Nu-metal seems to have a good improvement as well..

Overall seems like a solid $100 purchase for the M100s.

Thanks for the review and being specific regarding genres. I listen to mainly trance with a fair amount of electro/future/big room house mixed in. Also some trap and future bass and the occasional dubstep/chillstep (Seven Lions, Culture Code, etc.). Did you buy it straight off their website or from a third-party site? I may look into getting one once I get some more money. 

If anyone else has recommendations for a DAC and/or amp, I'd appreciate it. I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means so cheaper is better for me. Not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on one, not that I don't believe that they're good products but rather because I feel like my ears won't really notice a big enough difference, not at this point in journey through the world of audio. 

I'm also beginning to ponder the possibility of my pair being defective in some way, although I highly doubt it. It was purchased from a reputable dealer (Brookstone), appears in every way, shape and form to be an authentic product and not a fake (has a serial number and warranty QR scan code and the "Fugazi - Beware of Fakes" stamp and everything). It was the last one they had available but as far as I can tell everything was factory sealed, so I don't think it'd be a fake/bogus set. Just to reiterate, I think they sound amazing, by far better than anything I've ever used before (not saying much really), but I just expected more bass. They do have a nice low end sound, but they don't rumble or rattle my ears like a lot of reviews led me to believe that they would. 

As a side note, I've realized that the "V Moda" stitching on the case as well as the "V-Moda" imprint on the top of the headband appear to be slightly crooked, but from what I've read this is a common occurrence. Can anyone confirm/deny? 

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #21,580 of 23,366
  I haven't tried an EQ yet. Do you have any suggestions for a good one? I'm pretty new to the audio world, as you can probably already tell. 

Well I don't have a mac nor an Iphone and know next to nothing about those, so I can't recommend. Just start with whatever eq is bundled in your player and try and boost the most left sliders. Just play a bit with it. You might discover you particularly like to have some frequencies more enhanced than others. I'm pretty sure there a bunch of nice eq apps for the mac, as well as parametric ones which allow you to really fine tune your settings but I'll leave the recommendations for others.

I'm pretty sure there's a lack of power for you not to have enough bass with an M-100 though.
Also, are you sure the plug is properly connected? Those 4 pins mini-jacks can sometimes be a pain. It shouldn't be a problem with the Iphone, but maybe on your computer it is ? With mine I had to try various adaptors to have a good contact. It just wouldn't work properly directly plugged in. Signs of a bad contact is typically an "under water" sound and lack of bass. But I'm sure you would have noticed it.

As a side note, I've realized that the "V Moda" stitching on the case as well as the "V-Moda" imprint on the top of the headband appear to be slightly crooked, but from what I've read this is a common occurrence. Can anyone confirm/deny? 

Yup, same here. Bought mine directly from Amazon, which is an authorized seller.

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #21,581 of 23,366
I bought my first pair of M100s back when they were still doing the first run of them.  Used them for about six months and then my car was broken in to and I lost them.  So I went and bought a replacement pair off of Amazon.  These sounded NOTHING like the first pair.  I coordinated swapping them out w/ Amazon and the second pair I received was exactly how I remember them.  So I suppose it's certainly possibly you just got a defective pair.  Just swap them...especially if you're within the return period.  It's almost a no brainer if there is even a hint of a defect...you don't want to be stuck with them after the return window has closed.  They will send them back to V-MODA for inspection.

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #21,582 of 23,366
I've checked the connections, everything seems solid. No underwater sound. I also tried both cables, still sounds the same. I'm beginning to think that it's just me. 

Couple things to note: I can't seem to remove the V-cork or whatever they call it from the right earpiece (the one that was already there from the factory). I've twisted it every which way and it won't come out. When I compare it with the V-cork that was given to me in the small plastic bag, it would appear that the V-cork in the right earpiece has been inserted backwards. Meaning that I physically cannot turn it to the proper position that allows it to be pulled out. I tried putting the other one in the left earpiece and it comes out super easy. I googled it and it looks like someone on Reddit had the same issue, he called VModa and they told him it was defective. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1sl22a/how_do_i_remove_the_vmoda_vcorks/

Also another thing, when I first opened the box, one of the earpieces had popped off and was disconnected from the metal prongs/yokes that hold it in place. It wasn't a big deal, I simply snapped it back in. But now after all these little problems one after another...I'm starting to wonder if I really did get a dud/defective model. 

The thing is, the two minor issues I mentioned above may just be cosmetic/aesthetic problems. For all I know the sound could be spot-on and maybe I just hyped them too much in my mind before buying them, thinking the bass was gonna melt my face off. I have had tinnitus since I was a kid but I don't think my hearing is that bad to the point where it would affect what I think of these headphones, but you never know. I think I'm going to take them back to Brookstone and see if I can exchange it for another pair and see how they sound. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #21,583 of 23,366
  I've checked the connections, everything seems solid. No underwater sound. I also tried both cables, still sounds the same. I'm beginning to think that it's just me. 

Use our six star service team or brookstone, we can send and fix items in a flash (esp cables) if you want to try a replacement. 

If the top headband stitching/branding is a tad off you can actually adjust it yourself fairly easily as it sometimes shifts. We should post a video on this.

Cheers!

-V
CEO

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #21,584 of 23,366
Do you think V-MODA Crossfade M-100 mega-fan Steph Curry will win it all? We think so!

It's gotta be da headphones". Talent + Hard Work pay off! #MVP #VeniVidiVici

Like many young stars, Avicii, Martin Garrix, Stephen Curry and even Tom Cruise start using V-MODA without our intervention and purchase them directly.  

The next generation new talent are exciting because they believe in quality and want to back it up by purchasing a V-MODA based on getting the best and they buy them mostly like anybody else. V-MODA is also a symbol of wanting to forge your own future and not follow the pack.  We are all individual, who wants to be ubiquitous?

I remember AVIICI told me when I gave him the first Crossfade LP "THIS IS THE FUTURE OF DJ HEADPHONES" and he disappeared in a corner of the bus listening to them.  Incredible.  He never returned to the concert, I believe he started making Levels on his PC then he got lost from me at club Mansion. 

Remind me to tell the story of Stevie Wonder and the case/mic!

Cheers

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #21,585 of 23,366
Anyone know if v-moda sell the folding bracket thing by itself?
Mine stop clicking for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back