V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 1, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #20,524 of 23,366
hello
do v moda m100s have clearer mids and punchier bass  compared to audio technica m50 ?

I have both, the vmoda are definitely my go to headphones. The V-MODAs bass reaches further down, at the same time there is a lot more bass in the M100s compared to the M50. I thing the high are good on both. Me personally I think they both sound better amped, but not needed. It really depends on how much you want to spend. There are a lot better headphones out there. If you are wanting to stay with the closed back headphones, they are both great choices.
Hopefully this answers your question.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #20,525 of 23,366
Couple of words about metal music + V-MODA M-100.
(Summary on impressions on metal + 37 cans are here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)

Amount of bass is more than enough fo metal. Bass is not slow or wooly - bass control is impressive and the punch is great, but may be a little attacks resolution problem is present. Quality of bass for PORTABLE headphones is prominent. Mids are slightly recessed, fortunately without stark warm or cold colouring. Highs are a moderately dark, with no "veil". The soundstage is average / slightly less than the average (for closed cans).

Tasting notes of selected metal subgenres:
Black: If you listen really hard, you can diagnose insufficiently sharp attacks on the Black (i.e. Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset), sound lacks clarity a bit. But the overall picture, power, flavor and balance - in complete synchronization with the genre.
Death: Slightly darkish balance, lack of highs plays bad joke with the Death, not enough sharpness, sparks and brightness (in a good sense of the word).
Alternative: On the Alternative it's just not enough of air, sound is muffled for genre.
Doom: Excellent (does not exceed ears for listening at home - compared with Beyers770), but for the portables the result is magnificent.
Gothic: Muffled and unnecessarily brutal, not their niche genre.
Grindcore: Again, just not enough of resolution, but the power and enthusiasm... The result - really impressive.
Industrial: The amount of bass is good, sub-bass is present, highs are not strangled, mids are not warm. Good. Good.

The grand total - perhaps the best portable metal cand for a reasonable price and one of the best basshead headphones allaround.
According to the personal preferences - I rather do not like these cans, still too unnatural, too heavily distorted tonal balance. In a direct comparison, switching to Beyers 770 make you feel that you listen something light and extremely sharp. Make Beyers 770 to feel like Grado - this is something... So, for me M-100 are in no way relevant for use as single cans for every day use. As portables and as superweapon on certain subgenres - they are really good here.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #20,526 of 23,366
Couple of words about metal music + V-MODA M-100.

(Summary on impressions on metal + 37 cans are here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)

Amount of bass is more than enough fo metal. Bass is not slow or wooly - bass control is impressive and the punch is great, but may be a little attacks resolution problem is present. Quality of bass for PORTABLE headphones is prominent. Mids are slightly recessed, fortunately without stark warm or cold colouring. Highs are a moderately dark, with no "veil". The soundstage is average / slightly less than the average (for closed cans).

Tasting notes of selected metal subgenres:
Black: If you listen really hard, you can diagnose insufficiently sharp attacks on the Black (i.e. Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset), sound lacks clarity a bit. But the overall picture, power, flavor and balance - in complete synchronization with the genre.
Death: Slightly darkish balance, lack of highs plays bad joke with the Death, not enough sharpness, sparks and brightness (in a good sense of the word).
Alternative: On the Alternative it's just not enough of air, sound is muffled for genre.
Doom: Excellent (does not exceed ears for listening at home - compared with Beyers770), but for the portables the result is magnificent.
Gothic: Muffled and unnecessarily brutal, not their niche genre.
Grindcore: Again, just not enough of resolution, but the power and enthusiasm... The result - really impressive.
Industrial: The amount of bass is good, sub-bass is present, highs are not strangled, mids are not warm. Good. Good.

The grand total - perhaps the best portable metal cand for a reasonable price and one of the best basshead headphones allaround.
According to the personal preferences - I rather do not like these cans, still too unnatural, too heavily distorted tonal balance. In a direct comparison, switching to Beyers 770 make you feel that you listen something light and extremely sharp. Make Beyers 770 to feel like Grado - this is something... So, for me M-100 are in no way relevant for use as single cans for every day use. As portables and as superweapon on certain subgenres - they are really good here.

Superb review, i dont listen to metal but i enoyed reading it. its definitely good to hear anothers perspective. The m100s do seem to play well for a lot of genres, but again specialize in certain genres (electronic, house, dubstep, even pop).

I think i need to really get another crack at the m100s, one of these days

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #20,527 of 23,366
I have both, the vmoda are definitely my go to headphones. The V-MODAs bass reaches further down, at the same time there is a lot more bass in the M100s compared to the M50. I thing the high are good on both. Me personally I think they both sound better amped, but not needed. It really depends on how much you want to spend. There are a lot better headphones out there. If you are wanting to stay with the closed back headphones, they are both great choices.
Hopefully this answers your question.

Thank you for the answer . Are mids(vocals) on m100 clearer compared to m50 ? I have m50 and i need clearer mids , less recessed

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #20,528 of 23,366
Thank you for the answer . Are mids(vocals) on m100 clearer compared to m50 ? I have m50 and i need clearer mids , less recessed

With the sources I have listed below, the vocals are really good on both. I think the M100s may be marginally better but nothing to write home about. What are you using to power your M50s?

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #20,531 of 23,366
If you like forward mids I recommend the Sony MDR 1r..you can check the threads on them as they are usually compared to the m100 and momentums

I had both the momentums and the mdr 1rs, to me the momentums were better, far better, another league actually. The mdr 1r to me were very beautifull and and confortablr (although my ears touched the drivers a bit). To me in terms of sound the mdr 1rs only beat the momentums on soundstage besides that the momentums sound clearner better bass, much more clear and just a tiny bit warm and beauyifull, to me they are the perfect complement to something like the hd25. To me the mdr 1rs just sounded muffled, specially the voice. I hate muffled sound.... Singers to me sounded like they were burried. The bas on the momentums also goes lower and is much fuller than on the 1rs. Imagine the bass on the 1rs like someting close to the bass on the hd500 series from sennheiser maybe a bit more but not much).

I loved the momentums.... Unfortunatelly i sold both, on the 1r i just miss the design (they also had some built flaws), on the momentums i miss everything..... Except the confort and thats why i sold them. Best pair i had so far and unfortunatelly i haf tio sell them because the pads were too small and haf that on\over ear fit and after about 5 minutes not only it hurts as it distracts me form enjoying my music, if you have small ears momentum.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #20,532 of 23,366
You may want to look at the HiFiman HE400, these from what I have read may suit your needs they are all around better than all the ones mentioned. They are opened back though and there are by no means portable, but it looks like you are looking for something for your desk top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back