V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #19,786 of 23,366
Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back. The reason I purchased these is due to an incredible employee accommodation. I've always been a fan of open headphones and balanced sound. I knew what I was getting into with the cross fade I even tested them before buying them.

I'll try them out some more with the suggestion from spider nhan

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #19,787 of 23,366

I've actually experienced what he's experiencing on both my V-80 and my M-100 with certain phones and amps. There's some weird thing with the TRS/TRRS connectors that causes some of the frequency spectrum to be lost. And it sounds like garbage.

Oh wow. That sounds awful. 

I was really amazed at how much clarity and detail the M100s delivered. Maybe that's something to look into then.

And yeah if you're big on the open headphone sound... I wouldn't imagine these are going to scratch the itch too well. Very different experience. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #19,788 of 23,366
I tried with a few different cables and I don't know if they really made a difference but it doesn't seem like much if any.  Either way I had some time to really test them and give a more informed opinion.

I originally typed up a fairly long paragraph and then erased it fearing i'd offend anyone. Everyone has their own preferences and I  have always preferred more treble and less bass.  These phones are almost the complete opposite of what I find enjoyable.

My overall opinion is that I found that the M-100 lacked treble response.  The details from the treble were lost for me due to the bass being so prominent.  After about 20 minutes of use, the headphones became fatiguing for me both in the sound profile and the clamping pressure.

I'm still keeping them regardless.  I am starting my own little collection of headphones, but these are definitely not my cup of tea.  I can appreciate the build quality and design of the product even if the sound doesn't quite suit me.

I am not trying to attack these headphones or anyone who likes them in any way, but after purchasing the M100's I am starting to question the very essence of "audiophile quality".  I always thought that the audiophile quality term stood for flat and natural reproduction of sound but I'm beginning to feel like maybe it's all relative to the users preference.

It's no secret that Beats headphones get a lot of criticism but I feel like a lot of the points that are often brought up about them also apply to the M100s.  "Too Much Bass", "Over priced", "Lack of Clarity", "Uncomfortable".  

I got the Beats Studio 2014 Edition a month ago and I find them to be a lot more balanced and enjoyable than the M100s.  Just my honest opinion.  Next phones I want are the Fidelio X1s.  Should be right up my alley.

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #19,789 of 23,366
Not offended in the least, but I am a bit confused by your impressions. You said you listened to them before you bought them. What were your impressions of the unit you demoed? I can understand you not digging the sound, but if the Beats Studios 2014 sound better than the M-100 then Beats has really upped their game or your unit is defective. Now I have to find some Beats to compare to it.

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #19,790 of 23,366
Interesting criticisms.   I can agree with the 'too much bass', but strange to hear that you find they lack of treble response.  The M100s are very v-shaped, so you miss out in the mids, but I've found the highs to be quite detailed and sparkly.

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #19,791 of 23,366
Not offended in the least, but I am a bit confused by your impressions. You said you listened to them before you bought them. What were your impressions of the unit you demoed? I can understand you not digging the sound, but if the Beats Studios 2014 sound better than the M-100 then Beats has really upped their game or your unit is defective. Now I have to find some Beats to compare to it.

I thought the M100s sounded fine, but it was literally something I only listened to for a minute or two.  The employee pricing was so good that it was enough for me to not be too critical of the demo and just buy them.

All together I've owned a decent amount of headphones which I feel represent flat, neutral audio.  Audio Technica AD700x, AD900x. Sennheiser HD558. Sony MA900.

They have one thing in common, they're all open headphones, which is something I tend to enjoy.  The only real closed headphones I've ever owned are Beats Solo HD Wireless (low quality audio), Beats Studio 2014 Wireless, and now the Vmoda M100.  

I just think the Studios have quite a bit more clarity. The bass also isn't as over whelming but packs a punch which fits my preference more.  They're definitely something I can listen to for a while and enjoy.  The primary reason I have them is because they're convenient (wireless) for gym use, but they ended up impressing me.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #19,792 of 23,366
o_o

Coming from the AKG Q701's I don't think these are muddy o-o

Recessed mids yes, but the instrument separation is quite amazing despite this.

Boomy bass I can agree though, but that's what I initially want out of a bassy can :p

Your Mileage May Vary I guess.

I'm going to sound like you when I get my pair, eventually.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #19,793 of 23,366
@gl0ry Try putting tape over the V port. People report it tames the bass which might help for you. (I think @Ratinox has some pics/instruction/advice on this) Also, I like to EQ +3-5dB from 10-20k hz. It makes the cymbals and highs sparkle a little more.

thats different that you perceive wireless phones as having more clarity. Generally, I thought audiophiles hated wireless because the signal goes through 2 more Digital Analog conversions vs corded phones and the sound will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain. Anyone know what DAC wireless Beats use?

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #19,794 of 23,366
gl0ry, I can understand the M-100s not being your cup of tea (different strokes and all that). What I don't really get is why you're keeping your them if you dislike the sound so much...already enjoy the Beats Studio 2014 as a bassy closed alternative...and readily admit you have a predilection for open, neutral cans...

Even if you got the V-MODAs on a steep discount, surely you could still recoup the funds (however small they may have been) and invest them in another set of headphones you might like more. Are you really just holding onto the M-100s as a collector's item to visually observe?

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #19,795 of 23,366
  Even if you got the V-MODAs on a steep discount, surely you could still recoup the funds (however small they may have been) and invest them in another set of headphones you might like more. Are you really just holding onto the M-100s as a collector's item to visually observe?

I'm really close to buying some high-end Grados for this exact reason. :p

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #19,796 of 23,366
@gl0ry Try putting tape over the V port. People report it tames the bass which might help for you. (I think @Ratinox has some pics/instruction/advice on this) Also, I like to EQ +3-5dB from 10-20k hz. It makes the cymbals and highs sparkle a little more.

thats different that you perceive wireless phones as having more clarity. Generally, I thought audiophiles hated wireless because the signal goes through 2 more Digital Analog conversions vs corded phones and the sound will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain. Anyone know what DAC wireless Beats use?

The only thing I can think is that because the Beats are less bassy (and they are, the new Studios, like DNA over-ear, aren't especially bottom-heavy) then that's more pleasant for gl0ry overall. Sonics vs sonics I could get into, but the point is that in my OPINION they are just not in the same realm. The ONLY issue with the M100s would be if someone heavily dislikes the powerful bass response so much that it makes the experience unbearable. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #19,797 of 23,366
I would never class the bass on the M's as "boomy", that's just nonsense.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #19,798 of 23,366
I would never class the bass on the M's as "boomy", that's just nonsense.

Yeah. Boomy, to me, means way too much in the mid/upper bass area. Getting huge amounts of bloat from the AFTER-effect of a bass note rather than the deep tone itself. Like you're hearing echoes of the bass too much. The M100s have no boom, just rumble and thump. A good amount of it, admittedly.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #19,799 of 23,366
Are you seriously thinking of trading your M's for Grados'?

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #19,800 of 23,366
  The Momentums feel CRAZY chintzy in comparison, yeah. The Momentum on-ear are soooooomewhat like the M100s in that they have emphasized bass as well, but the over-ear aren't even close. 

I haven't tried the P7 or the NAD Viso Hp50, but every other under $500 headphone I've tried (and many others above that price) just can't beat the M100 if its sound signature (powerful bass, slightly recessed mids, sparkly but non-fatiguing treble) is what you want. 

I have to disagree with you here.  Real leather and stainless steel are now considered "CRAZY chintzy"?  I love my M-100's, but in some ways they aren't as well built as the Momentums.  Wingplates and cracking cups, to be specific.  To date, there have been no similar build-quality issues with Momentum.  Overall, I would characterize both as incredibly durable, but let's not get carried away...

To clarify, I am speaking about the over-ear Momentum.  The on-ear version doesn't feel or look quite as nice, though they are still built nearly as well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back