V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #15,241 of 23,366
Quote:
Verza is like $400, right? You may be able to eventually find a rare great deal on a Stax rig at that price, but more likely you'll spend that much on the headphone AND have to pay another couple hundred bucks on a suitable amp.

Although Miceblue took the root of detailing a Stax set up, I'll detail the real price of a Vamp Verza. It's $598 + tax + shipping + import duties if you don't live in the USA, just like yourself. One guy up in Canada got one recently and it came to roughly $900 once he got it. And all that is also without the Metallo Case ($100 + tax + shipping + import duties) if you plan on mating this with your iPhone/S3/S4 like you should.

So for that price, you can start thinking about a better Stax rig and also see how this is a very noticeable amount of $$ that can be put to use elsewhere in your system. I was really into picking up a Vamp Verza until I saw what the landed cost would be. I got an iBasso D42 and couldn't be much happier. It's not in the same league in profiles, not toooo far off, but the workmanship is top notch and I got it for $300 including shipping, duties, HiFlight TopKit op-amp rolling kit, and 2 650mAh rechargeable batteries for Japan. Hard to argue with a third of the price, well, as long as you don't have an iPhone, haha. Rant finished.

Back on topic'ish. The M100s continue to fit better and better and sound great. I have started to want some silver shields with my Matte Blacks, though, like the ones that come with the White version. I still wish this came in the colour combo that one of the "custom" LP2s does. The one with black headband, silver yokes, black cups, and silver shields. That'd look so great on the M100s. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #15,242 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a few questions about the M-100:

1- M-100 vs Akg K267? 

2- Good Amp for the M100?

Thank You!!

390611_244398895702373_1964422666_n.jpg

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #15,243 of 23,366
Benny-x,
I guess "you" is referring to Miceblue, even tho you quoted me? I live in the US, tho I admit to not checking the Verza's price. Stax does start to look more attractive, but $700 is still $700 (plus shipping).

I want an iPhone 4S with more memory than the base model, but frustratingly (in America) we can't get that phone (with 32GB storage and up) as part of a subsidized plan anymore. I understand the reasoning for Apple to switch to the all-digital lighting cable (let's be honest, way more people had durability problems than an interest in portable LOD capability), and I know that USB connectors for phones have seen several connector type changes during the long reign of Apple's 30-pin connector, but it still sucks that now it's even harder to get true line-out to an amp. IIRC, the reason it's difficult for external DACs to get the digital signal for music from the Lightning port is due to licensing?

I'm still not convinced of the value of an external DAC in a portable setting tho.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #15,246 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm still not convinced of the value of an external DAC in a portable setting tho.

As someone who has experienced the difference first hand, it is absolutely worthwhile for an audiophile who wants the ultimate in portable listening.  I am listening to Kate Voegele, 99 Times live album from Itunes.

Verza vs. other amps, I am picking up the most minute details, incredible realism in vocals, fantastic detail in acoustic guitar down to every pluck and a wide soundstage that puts me in the front row of an intimate venue if I close my eyes.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #15,247 of 23,366
Craigster75,
Oh, I'm not debating that an external DAC can't hone the finest details to be more distinct; what I'm thinking is that on the trolley or in an airplane, environmental noise will negate such delicate details. I would rather buy a nice DAC to use at home. I thought the Verza was an amp, but not a DAC?

Perhaps off topic, but isn't it illegal or at least a bad idea to wear headphones if you're driving a car?

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #15,248 of 23,366
Quote:
Craigster75,
Oh, I'm not debating that an external DAC can't hone the finest details to be more distinct; what I'm thinking is that on the trolley or in an airplane, environmental noise will negate such delicate details. I would rather buy a nice DAC to use at home. I thought the Verza was an amp, but not a DAC?

Perhaps off topic, but isn't it illegal or at least a bad idea to wear headphones if you're driving a car?

Those are my thoughts exactly too. Why spend $600 on something when you won't be able to appreciate the what-would-be difference in sound quality? External amps by themselves don't make a very large difference compared to a headphone out on an iPhone so spending 3 times the amount to add another small change makes little sense to me. As I mentioned elsewhere, you might as well spend money on a good portable rig and invest more money on a great desktop rig. I don't need Schiit Mjolnir sound from a portable rig when I won't be able to tell the difference than if I had a Magni (amps chosen for size difference).

As for the car thing, I could swear it's in the driving rules for our state in the USA. :p

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #15,249 of 23,366
Quote:
Craigster75,

I recently started using Verza as a DAC with my PC as well.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #15,250 of 23,366
Miceblue,
*shrug*
Btw, still haven't completed my M-100 order cuz of my drawing skills that have now lead to procrastination, lol!

Craigster75,
Glad it has that functionality too! I don't have an iPhone just yet, can the Verza connect to a 5th gen iPod Video?

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #15,251 of 23,366
I think this is one of the best videos made for the M-100, it also covers a bit from a DJ perspective.

Must watch IMO:

EVSHRUG:

I hear you on the art, in the future we will have much more options.  Remember, you can use photos too it just dithers, or go to istockphoto they have lots of resources. Or go to our http://Facebook.com/VMODA and look at the customs, you can request one of them.  This one was sick, I want it!

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #15,252 of 23,366
Quote:

XL PAD NEWS! FINALLY!  We had to completely change the stitching and now it is sounding much better, it is crazy how much difference the littlest things on fittings/cushion makes to the sound.  My golden-ear team says now that we have changed the stitching process for larger ears that we can prototype 4 variants of sizes in quantity of 5 sets so we can get some test help.  They are sending photos to me tonight of the final breakthrough and you can see the differences.  

Just making the original cushion design bigger in multi-dimensions did not work at all... proof that the driver and comfort is important, but "the fit is the final sound". Like a bespoke tailored suit, it makes the man.

FINALLY!  You do not know how long I've been agonizing over this XL cushion and pushing the team, I can finally post again and be more active so that I don't read people asking anymore, it is painful but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Can't WAIT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back