V-MODA M-100 - Comfortable, or not?
Mar 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #16 of 32
My current M-100 is my 2nd pair as my first pair was sent back due to a cracked wing plate. I never had comfort issues with my 1st pair, but with the pair I have now, my left ear has started to touch the inside of the driver. I don't know if this an earpad defect or a result of NYC's warmer weather patterns, but it is noticeable. I'm gonna swap out the gray M-100 pad for my white LP pads and see if that's the culprit.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #17 of 32
can someone help me measure (or link me to) how deep the pads are? im having issues with headphones ive been buying (so far krk 8400 seem deep enough... m50 and ad900 both hurt after an hour )

dont wanna jump boat and buy one to find oout i hafto return them ;x

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
can someone help me measure (or link me to) how deep the pads are? im having issues with headphones ive been buying (so far krk 8400 seem deep enough... m50 and ad900 both hurt after an hour )

dont wanna jump boat and buy one to find oout i hafto return them ;x

I want to say the pads protrude about 17mm from the plate that covers the driver measured at the edge.  Please note, my pads have had extensive use, so they may be thinner than it did when I got it :p

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #20 of 32
When I measured my M100s, the earcup depth was only 14-15mm deep. My ears also only protrude out 15mm from my head.

I immediately noticed my ears touching the inner earcup as soon as I put them on. They became slightly irritating after 30 minutes, and very uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. I noticed if I wore them too much longer beyond that, the outer tips of my ear will turn red and I would also experience some pain.

I kept these headphones from the full 60 days, but the comfort did not improve very significantly after the first week. The clamping force did adjust after prolonged use, but the ears against the inner ear cup issue remained for me. I also noticed that there was a slight bit of variation of comfort levels between different headphones as my white M100 were slightly more comfortable than my black M100.

After doing a paper towel mod, the comfort did increased a decent amount, but I still could not wear these for a long period of time, so I ultimately decided against keeping them despite how much I loved them.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:
what did you get instead?

still searching for the perfect pair... i am thinking about trying the m100s again once the xl pads come out.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #24 of 32
I have had my m100s about 2 weeks now. At first i found them to rub and make my ears quite red and sore after listening for perioda over about half an hour but eventually i discovered the cause of this was simply because i was wearing them to high (although it was covering my ear well). My advice is to adjust the size so you are wearing them as low as possible while obviously still keeping them covering your ear. Since doing this i have had no problems with comfort or irritation and they are an absolute pleasure to wear for any length of time. Hope this works for you :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #25 of 32
My ears aren't that big, I can fit mine inside the Sennheiser Momentum, so I guess I'm lucky that way.
For me the V-Moda M100 fit well. I do have glasses so that is something that sometimes prevents me from enjoying some headphones. The M100 though sat just right, I had enough space to feel comfortable and the clamping wasn't too hard. i think that most Sennheisers 500 something series clamp a lot more and take the 360 G4ME version, you have something that felt like a torture rack the first two weeks. Not the case for me with the V-Moda.

Overall, I would say that the M-100 are really nice and comfortable headphones.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #26 of 32
My ears are about as protruding as they get. The new XL pads are great. But i noticed that the set I got had some QC issues where the right earpad's foam is a bit deformed in comparison to the left. Because of this, it doesn't have as much depth as the left and my ear still touches the grill. (i did the tp mod to the XL pads and this still happens if that gives you guys an idea of how much my ears protrude)

Not much i can do about this problem aside from ordering another set of XL pads and crossing my fingers... (budget is a bit tight right now).

But.. for the side where the earpads were good, great comfort, no real problems at all. For the side that it is "squished down" permanently, my ears touch the grill so i can't wear the m100's for too long.

The cans themselves are rather light imo. and clamping isn't too bad even though i made the cups as deep as possible. 

Maybe i can reach out to val or someone at Vmoda about the XL pads. T_T

btw. if you are having fit problems try moving the cup a little lower and forward. thats how i got my left ear to fit haha.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #27 of 32
Just a quick question - did you experience the sound to change when you had the new XL cups? I bought the new XL cups since I have expereinced an increase in irritable ears over the years. So lately I have sold several headphones and the V-Moda I have gotten teh XL cushions for - but to me, the sound is now slightly more muffled and not as crisp. I feel that the sound is a bit more engaging with the standard cushions. This is of course not a very huge difference but just wondering if anyone else have experienced this.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 32
Not that I notice, since changing earpads quite hard in the first time, but what I can say is, it improve LOTS of comfy. Tough its still hurt a bit, but its ok since i love the cans a lot

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #29 of 32
For me, they're much more comfortable and fit better with the XL pads. I have small ears so with the stock pads there would be a gap between the back of the ear cup and my head. I think @miceblue posted a picture of this issue on another M-100 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back