V-MODA M-100 - Comfortable, or not?
Mar 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Speakerphile

500+ Head-Fier
There have been some reports of discomfort with this headphone.  Just want to get an idea of what the numbers look like.  If you own, have owned, or tried them out, please take the time to vote.  

-Thanks

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 32
I've been wearing mine unmodded (gauze rolls under the pads) for a few weeks now, and I can say for certain that pierced cartilidge is very uncomfortable. I have soft jewelry for it too, and it still causes discomfort after an hour or so. My other ear, which has a 0g wooden spacer is fine, though. Still, after more than a few hours, both ears get irritated and red.

Thing is, its not a deal breaker. I'm not running around looking for the perfect holy trifecta of a headphone (sound quality, style, and comfort). Why? Few reasons. The sound and style are right there for me, and the XL pads should rectify the comfort.

Still a great headphone, and the comfort issue is being addressed so I'm not ready to give up on them, and I still recommend them to everybody who's looking for that trifecta, and be patient for the xl pads, or put some paper towel, or gauze rolls under the pads until then.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 32
^ Yeah, the shape is... unique, and that's where my piercing gets in the way too, but another user posted a pic to help solve that. He put an Advil bottle in the cup overnight to widen the inside, and says it worked.

I should try that tonight. Will report back Monday afternoon.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 32
They were uncomfortable when first purchased.  Now that I have owned them for some time, they are comfortable enough that I forget they are on.  I think some who say they owned them and are uncomfortable didn't give them enough wear-in time to conform to their head/ears and become comfortable. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 32
^ I've owned them since December and while I have better comfort than initially, its still uncomfortable for long periods.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:
^ I've owned them since December and while I have better comfort than initially, its still uncomfortable for long periods.

Me too. Though I usually only use the M-100's for an hour's time period (bus traveling), or less (traveling between classes/walking around campus) my ear still experiences some discomfort for that duration of time.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 32
I owned mine for a month or two before finally returning mine. The depth was my issue. It was actually more painful than the M80s. Hopefully V-Moda releases those new pads for those  who are having comfort problems. Good luck!

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 32
There was one time where my right ear pressed against the driver and got red and irritated. It only happened once, though, and I have since stopped listening to Skrillex while shopping at Whole Foods.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 32
for someone like me with at least 6-8 hours headtime per day, the xl pads have to be a huge step forward in comfort to make me buy that good sounding, but for my big ears more of an onear again.

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 32
I guess I'm lucky.  My ears are a bit bigger than the diameter of the opening but I can tuck my ear behind the padding and wear them for hours without issue.  Guess everyone's ears are more/less sensitive.  These are probably the most comfortable over-ear headphones I've ever worn besides the LP2s, even while wearing my glasses.  Sometimes the arm from my glasses prevents the earphone from forming a seal (M50, Custom One Pro, etc) and thus making them sound like crap.  

The V-Modas pads are soft enough to eliminate that issue.  But then again, that's probably what is preventing some of you from having a perfect experience.  Pads that are TOO soft.  I guess nothing is just perfect for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back