V-Moda Crossfade M-80?
Oct 30, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #46 of 51

x-post from the impressions thread of Tokyo 2011 Fall Headphone Festival ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/577893/tokyo-japan-meet-at-the-fujiyaavic-2011-autumn-headphone-impressions/15#post_7857306 ):

V-Moda M-80:
  1. This prototype was brought by Val Kolton, the man behind V-Moda (info here: http://shop.v-moda.com/p-195-crossfade-m-80-on-ear.aspx )
  2. I always thought this brand was just for wannabes looking for cool looking headphones without regard to how good or bad they sound
  3. I could briefly listen to it a couple of times out of my iPhone 4 (no amp) before and after the meet as we hanged out all together
  4. The fact that Val gave me 500 bucks to say good things about his new headphone might influence these impressions but basically, I liked what I listened to as I could not immediately detect any major fault and the tonal balance was very pleasing (emphasis on bass but not bloaty). 
  5. Joke aside (Val is actually not very generous and didn't even buy me a beer :wink:, the headphone is named after some kind of explosive and I have to admit it fits well as it was simply a foot-tapping experience for me.
  6. I listened quickly to a direct competitor, the Sennheiser HD-25 "original" ( http://www.sennheiserusa.com/music-dj-headphones-hifi-stereo-adidas-sennheiser_504260 ) with same iPhone player and it was nowhere near as good. In particular, the Sennheiser had some unnatural mid-highs which I noticed right away
  7. Only drawback I could see is that it gets sweaty rather quickly and the clamping force is significant which may be getting uncomfortable over long time. I suspect this strong clamping force is part of the reason why it sounds good as the seal / distance to the driver apparently has huge influence on the response.
  8. I'd say, it's probably a good choice for someone who likes a fun sound with punchy / forward bass (but not bloated). It's probably also good in a noisy environment as the isolation is significant and the tonal balance will cover up low frequency background noise leaking through the headphone

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #47 of 51
I won a pair of the M80 and wrote a review, here.

I know this is only my personal opinioin but I'll put them right between the HD25 (top) and the DT1350 (bottom). I like portables with a fun sound. and the M80s are the most comfortable of the 3, the only weak spot I could find is that they dont isolate as good as the other two.

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #49 of 51
Radioshack had these at $99 on Black Friday weekend. I have to admit that I went to buy Beats Solo because it was on sale also and I liked the sound while testing at a different store. The store clerk pointed these out to me as they were out of stock on Beats. I eventually bought both and the beats are going back. I am not sure if they are worth $199, but at a somewhat lower price (an absolute steal @ $99) can knock the competition out. It would not be an understatement to say that these are the best I have heard for phones under $200 and I have tested a LOT of them in stores.
Only con: leaks sound and Beats lessen ambient noise much better.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #50 of 51
^^^The M80? Their site is showing the LP at $99 but the M80 at regular price. I might swing by the local Radioshack tomorrow and take a look. I thought all they had at Radioshack was batteries and RC cars.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #51 of 51
Hello,

I've been looking at these as a possible xmas gift for a friend of mine. If anyone here have had any experience with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9's, how would you compare their sound signature with the M-80's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back