V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Sep 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,966 of 2,828
Quote:

MIC
The new white model has new "speak easy" mics, we split up the mic from the controls to minimize cable noise and optimized the filters (they had a lengthy divorce).  We are shipping the White M-80s in a few weeks and we are building the cables right now for purchase seperately.  For early adopter M-80 owners, I'll come up with a fair deal to get them.  I literally can walk down 5th Ave NYC with Taxis honking and it sounds great on the other end and SIRI works.

Have a great Sunday!

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,969 of 2,828
Hello everybody:

I have read though out most of this thread and I am definitely planning to buy the M-80's by the end of this month. Really love the original design. And judging by all the praise from folks here and other known sources like InnerFidelity and reviews from many other websites, the build and sound quality seems to be top notch for the price.

I really like the white pearl version a bit better over black, but (at this moment) the extra $50 has me on the fence. As far as I know, the only difference between the black and white pearl M-80's is that the white ones have the new speakeasy cables. So I have a couple of questions:

*Is there any other improvements or changes to the white unit besides the cables? pads/headphone design
*Do the speakeasy cables perform better (for music listening) than the regular cables? static issues with clothing
*Anybody can comment on these when used for the gym? using dumbbells, treadmill

Are there any special offers, codes or coupons out there at this moment? :)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #1,970 of 2,828
Quote:
Hello everybody:

I have read though out most of this thread and I am definitely planning to buy the M-80's by the end of this month. Really love the original design. And judging by all the praise from folks here and other known sources like InnerFidelity and reviews from many other websites, the build and sound quality seems to be top notch for the price.

I really like the white pearl version a bit better over black, but (at this moment) the extra $50 has me on the fence. As far as I know, the only difference between the black and white pearl M-80's is that the white ones have the new speakeasy cables. So I have a couple of questions:

*Is there any other improvements or changes to the white unit besides the cables? pads/headphone design
*Do the speakeasy cables perform better (for music listening) than the regular cables? static issues with clothing
*Anybody can comment on these when used for the gym? using dumbbells, treadmill

Are there any special offers, codes or coupons out there at this moment? :)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

First off, there is a promo right now - VSCHOOL10 at checkout will get you 10% off until the 15th, from V-Moda's website.

The black one should really cost the same amount as the white one.  Resellers aren't really supposed to sell it for any less than the MSRP.  Most of the new black ones should come with the new speakeasy cable too, but there's no guarantee you'll get one of them.  It'll only make a difference when using to answer calls with your phone though.

I've used them while jogging before and they work pretty well for that!  But you'd wanna be careful if doing sit ups and such, if you move your head too fast they might slide off your head a bit.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,971 of 2,828
Thanks for replying. 

Lately I've been checking Amazon (the cheapest place I've found them) and the m80 shadow is always between $150 - $160 and the white goes for $200, both with free shipping.

On the V-Moda website they all are $230 and with the 10% discount it will be $207 with a free audio only cable and 1/4 adapter.

Unless Amazon is not an authorized dealer for V-Moda, which I doubt, I think they currently have the better deal.

Anyways I'm biting the bullet on these soon. Haven't had a decent pair of headphones since my Sennheiser HD280Pro which are not exactly portable and that's what I'm looking for at the moment.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #1,972 of 2,828
FYI, just bought the white pearl M-80's new in box for $165 shipped. Can't wait! =)

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,974 of 2,828
I'm one of the unfortunate M80 users that had the audio issues with the cables. I inverted the jack connectors, and it works like a charm but... of course the button and mic doesn't work this way, so it's more like a workaround. Said cables are the speakeasy I reckon, the ones with the mic and button in two different pieces.

Is there any way to make the cables work correctly? If not, what cable alternatives do I have? I actually don't care for the mic, but a normal 3.5mm cable WITH button functionality will do.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The headphones rock my socks. I still prefer the PortaPros, but these come as VERY close second.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,975 of 2,828
Quote:
I'm one of the unfortunate M80 users that had the audio issues with the cables. I inverted the jack connectors, and it works like a charm but... of course the button and mic doesn't work this way, so it's more like a workaround. Said cables are the speakeasy I reckon, the ones with the mic and button in two different pieces.

Is there any way to make the cables work correctly? If not, what cable alternatives do I have? I actually don't care for the mic, but a normal 3.5mm cable WITH button functionality will do.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The headphones rock my socks. I still prefer the PortaPros, but these come as VERY close second.

First off, what are you using as a source?

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,978 of 2,828
Quote:
Alright well, the single button cable should work with the Android.  If it doesn't, then something's wrong with either the cable or the device...

The button works alright, but I have to mess around on the v-shaped side of the cable for it to sound fine. Like the other users, the audio sounds like it comes from far away, the vocals non-existant.

I have the stock S2 buds, which also has 3 connectors, mic and a button, and I don't have any problems with these.

So it's either both cables (3-button and 1-button), the headphones themselves (which doesn't explain why it sounds fine when I switch the jacks), or a compatibility error with this particular Samsung device.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,979 of 2,828
Quote:
The button works alright, but I have to mess around on the v-shaped side of the cable for it to sound fine. Like the other users, the audio sounds like it comes from far away, the vocals non-existant.

I have the stock S2 buds, which also has 3 connectors, mic and a button, and I don't have any problems with these.

So it's either both cables (3-button and 1-button), the headphones themselves (which doesn't explain why it sounds fine when I switch the jacks), or a compatibility error with this particular Samsung device.

Hmm.  Try the headphones with another device to double check?  Otherwise, you might just have to get something like the audio-only cable...

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,980 of 2,828
Quote:

took this from android central
Okay to finally clarify this issue for all. 
size]

In all of the following explanations- imagine that the tip of the plug is facing right.

The standard 3.5mm headphones (no in-line controls on the cable) use the configuration of (from left to right) 
TRS- Tip, Ring, Sleeve. The pinout for these connections is: Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground.

Connection types for headphones with a mic (and newer ones with volume control) are configured in 
TRRS- Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve.

On TRRS there are 2 types- 
1. The original TRRS configuration was created by Nokia and has a pinout of Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic, Ground.

Apple came along and in typical elitist fashion changed their pinout to Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic.

This is why many apple headsets will not work with android, because the last 2 connections, for Mic and Ground are switched. The issue is with the hardware. 

The way that songs are skipped (forwards, backwards, and pause) occurs by sending signals down the ground channel(when you tap the button it shoots an electrical signal that the phone will pick up and interpret). 
The way that volume is increased/decreased occurs by sending signals down the Mic channel
This is why- if you try a set of newer iPhone earbuds on the GSIII- as I have- the center button does nothing, but yet the volume up and volume down both pause tracks, and allow you to skip them!!

Additionally, Apple has patents on their TRRS connection- in fact on the resistances (the actual ohm resistance in-line on the controls- not to get scientific or anything 
size]
) so that the headphones are designed to work only with Apple products. In other words- you could have a device with the same TRRS Pinout as apple products- but the headset wont work because the resistances (ohms) of the headphones send signals that your phone is not allowed to interpret into the correct actions (since apple patented these)

As to why the single button doesnt work, I dont know specifically,as vmoda says it should. I think the original apple headphones with one button mic use the standard nokia pinout (left right mic ground) and the device adjusts it when that set is used (i cant seem find any evidence to prove this).

But in my experience with TRRS headphones plugged into a jack that only does TRS when you plug it all the way all the Treble disappears. This is because a bad connection, try pulling out the jack a little out of the hole to create a better contact and see if the sound fixes itself. Obviously this isnt the best fix, Ed Noble (his review is here, headfonia, ad his blog noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk) had the same issue with what i believe was an Android phone or maybe just his laptop, he corrected it with just a straight audio cable no mic 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back