V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jan 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #935 of 2,828
So microphone on the red cable with the one button doesn't seem to work on my htc inspire anymore (I had only used it once). I'll check out the other cable first but it seems odd though the red cable did get caught on a doorknob or two...the pause and play feature seems to still be working and the volume on the cable that does have it never worked (which I assume my phone isn't compatible since I have nothing that would be compatible). 

So I just tested it and the three button mic DOES work still. Would there be any reason that the volume control doesn't work even if the pause play does?

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #936 of 2,828

Quote:
So microphone on the red cable with the one button doesn't seem to work on my htc inspire anymore (I had only used it once). I'll check out the other cable first but it seems odd though the red cable did get caught on a doorknob or two...the pause and play feature seems to still be working and the volume on the cable that does have it never worked (which I assume my phone isn't compatible since I have nothing that would be compatible). 

So I just tested it and the three button mic DOES work still. Would there be any reason that the volume control doesn't work even if the pause play does?

The volume control is for Apple products only, one cable is android/windows/blackberry the other is for Apple.  Sometimes the 1-buttons are finicky, there are many jack and OHM configurations in the Android/Windows phone world so maybe try it on a friends?   

Cheers,

-v 

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #938 of 2,828
I still do not know if I will pick these up this coming month or just wait for the M-100's down the line.

I do not seem to have many places around me to have them in stock, let alone have a demo setup.

Do apple stores still carry and demo the M-80's? There is one a distance away from me but I can get there, I just am not exactly too comfortable walking into one of those.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #939 of 2,828
I feel you on that! I come to the verge of a panic attack walking into the Apple store...it feels like someone with OCD has been given full reign and taken it to the limit 
blink.gif
 It's appealing, in a way, but it also sends a drip of cold down my throat...

Quote:
I still do not know if I will pick these up this coming month or just wait for the M-100's down the line.

I do not seem to have many places around me to have them in stock, let alone have a demo setup.

Do apple stores still carry and demo the M-80's? There is one a distance away from me but I can get there, I just am not exactly too comfortable walking into one of those.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #940 of 2,828
Well, it seems my love for the M-80 is over. Lately I've found it boring to listen to, due to my finding of the midrange too recessed for my taste. It's unfortunate, really. I love the looks and build quality, but I've just lost interest in the sound.

Oh well, maybe V-moda will create a product that I enjoy in the future, but for right now, it looks like I'll have to find my portable sound elsewhere.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #941 of 2,828
Hi, I've been looking at these headphones for a bit and I'm wondering if someone would be able to tell me how they compare to the P5's from Bowers and Wilkins?
 I know that the M-80s are not great for isolation, but would anyone know how they compare for isolation to the Urbanears Plattan?

I listen to a mix of power metal (plus heavy metal, speed metal etc), alternative, soundtracks, classical, j-pop and j-rock, maybe some hip-hop and dance now and then and I'm looking for an on ear (or around ear) headphone that isn't going to be one-genre only, doesn't need an amp, good isolation, durable, must have a detachable cable (The one thing that always kills my headphones) and iphone compatibility would be a plus. Now, except for the isolation, the M-80s seem to be a good choice, but the P5's also seem to be pretty good as well and have better isolation so if anyone can give me some advice that would be great. :) (As you can tell, I'm new to the whole good headphones bit, but since Bose supports SOPA, I decided to look for something else...)

Quote:
As you see, I'm pretty picky! I was looking for something portable, that sounded great unamped, closed but not completely noise isolating (need to hear my surroundings for safety reasons and at the office, if my phone rings or someone talks to me), that is well built and durable. Having owned a v-moda product before, I followed the progress of the m-80 closely in the past few months and they seemed to meet most of my needs so I ordered a pair last week. It took them 4 days to get here (Montreal). Very fast delivery time. Unfortunately, I had to pay full price as there were no coupons at the time, so they cost me 249$ with the 20$ shipping costs. They luckily included a 3rd audio cable (no mic, no buttons) which was the only one compatible with my cellphone. I listened to them for about 10 hours. No noticeable burn-in (my ears are perhaps not well trained to notice the difference). ....
. It creates a bit of an airy, open feel. This can cause sound leakage at high volume. Isolation is decent with music playing but at low volumes (at the office, for example) you can hear background noises such as people talking and phones ringing, and, disappointingly, there is some microphonics. The rubbing of the cable on my shirt collar is quite noticeable at low volumes. Finally, I used them for interval runs on the treadmill and they stay on quite well, although I'd recommend using earbuds for longer runs as your ears won't sweat as much.

I highly recommend these cans and I'll be keeping them (finally!). They meet all of my criteria plus they're great earmuffs for winter. I'll be watching the m-100 closely.

Thank you for reading!

Hah! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that uses my headphones as earmuffs. I've noticed you're also in Montreal, how do the M-80s hold up on the bus, metro or with a group of people talking?

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #942 of 2,828

Quote:

Hah! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that uses my headphones as earmuffs. I've noticed you're also in Montreal, how do the M-80s hold up on the bus, metro or with a group of people talking?

I find them to be adequate. By that, I mean that you'll still hear the announcements on the metro's PA and the start-up sound (although they'll be somewhat muted) at a safe volume. The vents let in some sounds but I find it practical and safer as it makes you aware of your surroundings (and you won't miss your station). If you do crank it up a couple of notches, I think you'll drown out most of the surroundings although at the expense of your hearing. You really don't need an amp with these; you'll easily reach loud volumes on most portable devices. With the diverse genres you listen to, I think these will satisfy you.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #943 of 2,828

Quote:
Hi, I've been looking at these headphones for a bit and I'm wondering if someone would be able to tell me how they compare to the P5's from Bowers and Wilkins?
 I know that the M-80s are not great for isolation, but would anyone know how they compare for isolation to the Urbanears Plattan?

I listen to a mix of power metal (plus heavy metal, speed metal etc), alternative, soundtracks, classical, j-pop and j-rock, maybe some hip-hop and dance now and then and I'm looking for an on ear (or around ear) headphone that isn't going to be one-genre only, doesn't need an amp, good isolation, durable, must have a detachable cable (The one thing that always kills my headphones) and iphone compatibility would be a plus. Now, except for the isolation, the M-80s seem to be a good choice, but the P5's also seem to be pretty good as well and have better isolation so if anyone can give me some advice that would be great. :) (As you can tell, I'm new to the whole good headphones bit, but since Bose supports SOPA, I decided to look for something else...)

I use my M80s on the bus in DC mostly (haven't spent much time on the metro this semester without my old internship) and though some people say they don't isolate well they actually do. They isolate better than my Sony xb500s I have however they three holes in the plate do let in a some sound. IMO they block out more than enough sound however if they were fully sealed (as opposed the three vents) they would isolate better (I've covered them with my fingers and it cuts about 10-25% more sound maybe).
The P5 does isolate better (I've only used them in an apple store) however if I remember correctly they are $100 more than the M80s and they probably are more comfortable after 3+ hours which is about how long I can listen to my M80s before taking a break (they are tight especially at first before being fully broken in). 
I do think some people have been exaggerating when they say that the M80 isn't good at isolating. It isn't bad, it's slightly above average but definitely not the best. If your only going to be using them as portables and not long sit downs save the $100 and get the M80. I don't know about the Urbanears.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #944 of 2,828
Quote:

I use my M80s on the bus in DC mostly (haven't spent much time on the metro this semester without my old internship) and though some people say they don't isolate well they actually do. They isolate better than my Sony xb500s I have however they three holes in the plate do let in a some sound. IMO they block out more than enough sound however if they were fully sealed (as opposed the three vents) they would isolate better (I've covered them with my fingers and it cuts about 10-25% more sound maybe).
The P5 does isolate better (I've only used them in an apple store) however if I remember correctly they are $100 more than the M80s and they probably are more comfortable after 3+ hours which is about how long I can listen to my M80s before taking a break (they are tight especially at first before being fully broken in). 
I do think some people have been exaggerating when they say that the M80 isn't good at isolating. It isn't bad, it's slightly above average but definitely not the best. If your only going to be using them as portables and not long sit downs save the $100 and get the M80. I don't know about the Urbanears.

Agreed, they do a pretty good job isolating cars, people, and other random noises, but the one gripe I have about them is their isolation against the wind =/
Because of the holes, wind noise is very noticeable, and can get annoying when going through a wind tunnel. A slight breeze won't be too bad, but strong wind in the fall may be a nuisance~

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #945 of 2,828

Quote:

I use my M80s on the bus in DC mostly (haven't spent much time on the metro this semester without my old internship) and though some people say they don't isolate well they actually do. They isolate better than my Sony xb500s

Agreed. Isolation is somewhat subjective. You won't get the same isolation as NC headphones or IEM but the m-80 blocks out most of the surrounding noises. I had the xb-500 and they were definitely bad at isolation on top of leaking a lot. And they looked ridiculous on my head...but so comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back