V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jan 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #902 of 2,828
To add to my last post, the larger driver would be perfect for me. 
But sadly, I think if the M100 was essentially the the M80 but:
-over-ears
-minor tweaks/improvements in the highs, soundstage, and bass
-at least 2 color choices
-easily driven from a 4S
-cheaper than prototype, around $225-$250
 These would sell more.

Again, I'd prefer the larger driver- something more noticeably better than the M80 and well worth the larger price tag. It be like HFI-580 to Pro 900. 

M-100 w/smaller driver= Evolutionary
M-100 w/larger driver= Revolutionary

I wouldn't take the chance with a Beats-like built in amp. I don't think many current V-Moda loyalists would like it either. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #903 of 2,828
I made a dedicated thread for the M-100. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc#post_8087788

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #905 of 2,828
To add to my last post, the larger driver would be perfect for me. 
But sadly, I think if the M100 was essentially the the M80 but:
-over-ears
-minor tweaks/improvements in the highs, soundstage, and bass
-at least 2 color choices
-easily driven from a 4S
-cheaper than prototype, around $225-$250
 These would sell more.

Again, I'd prefer the larger driver- something more noticeably better than the M80 and well worth the larger price tag. It be like HFI-580 to Pro 900. 

M-100 w/smaller driver= Evolutionary
M-100 w/larger driver= Revolutionary

I wouldn't take the chance with a Beats-like built in amp. I don't think many current V-Moda loyalists would like it either. 

These are my thoughts precisely. If the goal is to convert the current and future potential Beats market, nothing will do it like solid build, solid sound, and a more reasonable price tag. Expecting run of the mill consumers buying the headphones from BestBuy and RadioShack, who are usually either upgrading based on impulse, sales pressure, or advertising, or are looking for a deal, to spend $300 and then buy an amp to boot is just, well, not smart, because it neglects the basic motives of most people who will be exposed to the product with VMODA's current product placement strategy. I used to work for RadioShack, and I can guarantee that I would never have sold a single set of LPs if they required an amp. When I sold them, it was to people who were thinking about beats but didn't want to shell out the cash; the advertising of the beats made them curious about higher end audio, and they were looking for alternatives.

If Val wants to appeal to audiophiles and go the way of Sennheiser and AKG, I'm sure he will retain many fans just like those companies. After all, everyone wants to build the perfect headphone. But in my opinion, Val has poised himself to do something much bigger than that: if he wants to appeal to consumers, and finish what the Beats have haphazardly started, then the product needs to compete aggressively, and $300 is not an aggressive price in that market, especially if it requires an amp, which is, plain and simple, more than most people want to bother with for portable audio. Make it play out of an iPhone, and beat the Beats on every level, and I see Val doing interviews in Rolling Stone in 10 years being asked about how he revolutionized the portable audio market.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #906 of 2,828
if v-moda want to make another big step toward success imo,the driver should have the mids as the reference point,nothing like the lp2,as they were obviously for dj and bassheads.many here are expecting to get a headphone with massive build quality (and detachable cable and blablabla) that would be all rounder for most genres.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #907 of 2,828
I love the sound, build quality, mic cable and looks of M80/V80.
The fit, though, is just ok on my 2XL-sized head wearing glasses. I did bend the headband and am using the headband at its maximum length. I have Creative Aurvana Live, headband mod Koss Ksc75s, and had Grado Sr60s before, all of which are more comfortable to wear than v-moda (that said, none offer the same same blend of sq and looks as v-moda).

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #908 of 2,828
Has anyone tried out any DAC's with the M-80s? 

I've had these for just less than a week and I'm loving them! But as I'm using them out of my laptop headphone jack I wasn't sure if there was anything better for these? 

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #909 of 2,828
I find that the M80s work very well straight from a phone or PC. They do get better with higher end DAC and amp, but I don't feel the change is dramatic. They don't scale as well as some phones at least from what I've discovered so far, but they were meant to be portable. 

I'll report back if I test them out on my main set up and hear a large difference. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #910 of 2,828
guys, I need some help. I have been listening to my M-80s for a few days, and I absolutely love the feel and look of them. The sound quality is decent, but not what I was expecting. I know that these headphones are better than this, and I am almost positive I know what my problem is. Rather than using a computer, a iPod, or a good mp3, I am using a Samsung Fascinate smartphone. I compared it to an iPod, and I didn't notice any difference. Are there any reasonably priced mp3 players (I don't want an iPod at all) that will produce a noticeably better sound? If so, what would you suggest (I am looking to spend less than $150)?

Secondly, until recently, music quality didn't mean a ton to me. Therefore, I went out and downloaded a bunch of songs without bothering to see what bitrate the files were. How much of a difference would I see between a song with a bitrate in the 100's opposed to the same song with a 320 bitrate?

All this time, I thought all of my headphones sounded like ****, but it finally hit me. The problem is in the mp3 itself, not the headphones. So given my setup, what would you guys suggest I do to maximize the quality of my sound while spending the least amount of money possible?
confused.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #913 of 2,828
Jan 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #914 of 2,828

Quote:
I was surprised to see the Sansa Clip Zip at my local Costco yesterday, the 8gb was $54.99. Around the holidays I got my 4gb Zip at Radioshack for $34.95.

I must be misunderstanding something. Why not buy the 4 gig for $20 less and just buy a 32GB microSD card? Or even the 2 gig..What's the benefit of having the 8 gig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back