V-Moda Crossfade M-100 Versus Audio Technica ATH M50x
Apr 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Lorelix

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I am discovering the world of audio, and I am looking to buy new headphones. I listen to all kind of music, but have somewhat of a preference for electonica/pop with a strong bass. I was therefore looking at maybe two of the best headphones out there (from what I have read) the V-Moda M-100 and the Audio Technica ATH M50x. I know that for the bass only the V-Moda is apparently more powerful than the M50x, but i notice that, for the same budget I could get an amp, such as the JDSLABS cMoyBB v2.03. I am wondering if this would be my best option, as it would provide me with powerful bass when I want it, but still allows me to turn it off and enjoy other type of music. 

So here is my question: Should I go with the V-Moda m-100 or the ATH M50x with an amp? or maybe even something different? 

Thanks ! 

:)

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 7
If you are looking for some extra bass (NOT BASSHEAD), theres the focal spirit one, focal spirit one, donscorpio dolphin
If you want a bit more bass (near basshead) : onkyo es hf300, sennheiser momentum
Basshead: m audio q40, beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80, logitech ue 6000
You could pair them with an audioquest dragonfly.
Will you be traveling with these? Is isolation important? If not, you should look at the hifiman he300

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi,

You should also consider AudioTechnica ATH-WS99. They seem to be a great pick for bass lovers.

Best Luck!

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you! And yes, Ideally I would like to use them on the train to/from university, so minimal sound leak I guess is important. Plus I like the portable factor on both the M50x and the M-100. The Onkyo Es hf300 look really good, have you tried them personally, do you know how they compare in terms of overall precision of sound to the M-100 or M50x?

Regarding the ATH-WS99, do you think it's a good idea for me to spend a little less on headphones but to get an amp, of should I invest everything in the headphone itself?

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Thank you! And yes, Ideally I would like to use them on the train to/from university, so minimal sound leak I guess is important. Plus I like the portable factor on both the M50x and the M-100. The Onkyo Es hf300 look really good, have you tried them personally, do you know how they compare in terms of overall precision of sound to the M-100 or M50x?

Regarding the ATH-WS99, do you think it's a good idea for me to spend a little less on headphones but to get an amp, of should I invest everything in the headphone itself?

Thanks!

I havent heard them myself but heres some reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/products/onkyo-es-hf300-s-on-ear-headphones-silver
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300
You might want to check out the polk audio ultrafocus 8000 (extra bass) if you want noise cancelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back