V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 29, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #1,411 of 1,668
Why not just buy them online and return to a store if you don’t like them then? I was just pointing out that all Magnolia locations should have them per V-MODA’s post about it.

For reasons I have explained before. I like being able to actually take them for a test run first, and not deal with shipping.

I would also heavily recommend you use actual on-the-ground information over a press release about it.

It's a moot point regardless.

Jun 30, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,412 of 1,668
As a former BBY employee, zoning is a big factor, especially in Mag. My store almost never had Martin Logan in stock but we always had Denon and Deftech on hand. Our sales guy had an ear for them so we moved a TON of Denon receivers driving Definitive speakers. His store probably has weak demand for V-Moda and biases toward a different swathe of product.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,413 of 1,668
Got my CFW2 Codex edition, used the exchange coupon.

So far, this is the first V-MODA since M-100 I can truly recommend. For primarily wireless use as well. It does support AAC, there is barely any hissing (duh) and the radio is really well done.

Too bad they've screwed up their community relations before they've released a super solid product like the Codex.

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,414 of 1,668
Is there any point in using the returning programe,and chancing from the standard mat black wireless 2 to the codex edition? I live in norway,so shipping may take many weeks,and cost a little bitt.And a 100 dollars for the codex edition.I got the standard edition some weeks ago.Have used them both wired and wireless.Maybe wait for an wireless 3 edition?

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,415 of 1,668
Is there any point in using the returning programe,and chancing from the standard mat black wireless 2 to the codex edition? I live in norway,so shipping may take many weeks,and cost a little bitt.And a 100 dollars for the codex edition.I got the standard edition some weeks ago.Have used them both wired and wireless.Maybe wait for an wireless 3 edition?

Try to contact them through their support form (on the website) and ask about how to proof having your current set destroyed to get the discount coupon. They asked me to do a video of cutting the cords on my set, but don't do anything before talking to them.

And yes, I got my Codex some time ago, always nice to listen to a V-Moda... Unfortunately the new pads tend to give me hotspot on my left ear somehow, which the old M-100 style pads never did. Right now its too hot for over-ears anyway, but I'm happy to have them. I took the Rose Gold again, like with the original CF2W. It does look nice...

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,416 of 1,668
Got my CFW2 Codex edition, used the exchange coupon.

So far, this is the first V-MODA since M-100 I can truly recommend. For primarily wireless use as well. It does support AAC, there is barely any hissing (duh) and the radio is really well done.

Too bad they've screwed up their community relations before they've released a super solid product like the Codex.

Is the sound better than the M-100 in your opinion?

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,417 of 1,668
Is the sound better than the M-100 in your opinion?

It is for me. It's still bassy but not super V-shaped. M-100 is definitely not for all genres or attitudes. XS/CFW2 is more universal IMO. I definitely prefer it, even though I'm not getting the bass rumble of M-100. Easier to recommend if you don't know the exact genres of the person, but risky if you're recommending it to a basshead. And CFW1 is still really bad sound-wise.

I still like the M-100 construction better: I think the hinges are better on the original: CFW2 does not fold in the same way for some reason. Also, I prefer the cable on the left, but the CFW2 has it on the right.

So if one does really like the sound of M-100, amount of bass and all that, I still think there is not a ton of reasons to upgrade. If you kind of like M-100, but the bass is too much and the mids are missing, yeah, a good upgrade.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #1,419 of 1,668
How are these(codex)for gaming? If I have a supported dongle on my pc does anyone think aptx is good enough or is there still too much lag with non proprietary wireless headphones?

I use them wired for gaming, they are quite nice with decent soundstage. I prefer my open back HifiMan HE400 though for gaming.
Wireless gaming, not sure sorry.

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,420 of 1,668
How are these(codex)for gaming? If I have a supported dongle on my pc does anyone think aptx is good enough or is there still too much lag with non proprietary wireless headphones?
They are for wired gaming only, with the BoomPro. AptX and AAC have high latency, and it is most likely that for gaming use your headset will switch to a handsfree codec, making sound significantly worse.

For wireless gaming, look for a gaming headset with a proprietary adapter.

Same is true for most, if not all, Bluetooth headphones.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,421 of 1,668
Quick Q: do these work over USB? Like if I want to use them wired, can that be done, or would I use use a regular wire?

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,423 of 1,668
Ordered the Crossfade II Wireless matte black during V-Moda's spring sale and was able to get free 3D printed fiber shields. I created the shield design in Blender and uploaded an STL to their site. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of print quality or how faithfully they would be able to reproduce my design, but I'm thrilled with the result! And I'm the only person in the world who has this exact pair of headphones! I'm very pleased with how they sound, both wired and wireless. These are replacing my old XS, and they're a definite upgrade.

DhwUw4wWsAElB4o.jpg:large

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,424 of 1,668
No, but there is no reason to: they work great off a mini jack and they work better with an amp.

Yeah, looks like you're right there. So I think that's how they're a winner. Plug 'em in normally, pop the cable off for mobile, and they sound fantastic in both (bassier wireless though...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back