V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 21, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,381 of 1,668
Just received my codex edition in the mail today. HOLY COW! These are superb. Much better than the M-100's in my opinion. The sound quality is better wired, but AAC does a good job of making it sound amazing when wireless as well. My only gripe was that the screws to change the shields wasn't working. Can't take them off! Buy these!

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,382 of 1,668
Just received my codex edition in the mail today. HOLY COW! These are superb. Much better than the M-100's in my opinion. The sound quality is better wired, but AAC does a good job of making it sound amazing when wireless as well. My only gripe was that the screws to change the shields wasn't working. Can't take them off! Buy these!
Welcome to HeadFi and I agree with you. Amazing headphones for sure. Very close in wired and wireless mode with the latter being slightly cleaner with slightly tighter bass. To my ears, the originals weren't as close.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,383 of 1,668
Can anyone compare these with the WH-1000XM2? I haven't heard a CF2W with aptx/AAC but I do like my M100 and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on the Vmoda or not. There ain't a Best Buy within 250mi of me that has the Codex (or even the CF2 Rose Gold) available to sample.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,384 of 1,668
I prefer the sound signature of the 1000x series of headphones. Its warm, but not bass heavy and is adept at multiple genres. The wireless tech and noise canceling and comfort is also top notch.

I should probably clarify that my prefered signature is neutral with a slight sub-bass emphasis. (MrSpeakers Alpha Prime)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,385 of 1,668
Welcome to HeadFi and I agree with you. Amazing headphones for sure. Very close in wired and wireless mode with the latter being slightly cleaner with slightly tighter bass. To my ears, the originals weren't as close.
are you amping them when you use them wired? i found that wired out of my phone it was very close to wireless' sound quality, but driven out of a Schiit Lyr 2 with solid state tubes the difference was staggering. the CFW2 like power :D

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,386 of 1,668
Can anyone compare these with the WH-1000XM2? I haven't heard a CF2W with aptx/AAC but I do like my M100 and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on the Vmoda or not. There ain't a Best Buy within 250mi of me that has the Codex (or even the CF2 Rose Gold) available to sample.
I prefer the vmoda sound over the Sony. The 1000x distorted a a bit at higher volumes and can't take much bass from eq. The Sony's have great features like the anc and long battery. But beware the bud quality, the Sony hinge area is pretty suseptible to breaking. Check reviews on Amazon.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,388 of 1,668
I'll quote what I wrote over in the 1000X forum:

"As far as sound goes, the CF2W Codex have definitely shrunk the gap between wired and wireless listening on Apple devices. That's all I own so I can't really compare AptX listening when wireless. But I can say with certainty that I notice an improvement on Apple devices when listening Codex vs. Non Codex. With both the CF2W Codex and 1000XM2 running wirelessly via AAC, I prefer the sound of the CF2W. It's bass is deeper and stronger while not being intrusive. A very clean, clear, natural midrange, and a smooth, slightly veiled, rolled off treble. Although not the smoothest treble presentation I've heard. The CF2W has a bigger soundstage as well. The 1000X have a more processed sound if that makes sense. It's not quite as clean as the CF2W. I do prefer the 1000X's treble presentation. And it's still a very good sound and the gap isn't huge. I can see where some would prefer the 1000XM2's sound. It's a more musical sound overall to my ears. Also keep in mind that when you run the CF2W wired it improves. Gets slightly more detailed and cleaner."

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,389 of 1,668
I compared them directly. Here's my loosey-goosey account: http://archagon.net/blog/2017/12/08/bluetooth-headphone-sound-off/

tl;dr I love the V-MODA sound way more than Sony's. Do note, however, that the Crossfade seems to exhibit "tape hiss" in Bluetooth mode, which is evident over silent passages. (All three units that I tried had it to varying degrees.)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #1,390 of 1,668
I compared them directly. Here's my loosey-goosey account: http://archagon.net/blog/2017/12/08/bluetooth-headphone-sound-off/

tl;dr I love the V-MODA sound way more than Sony's. Do note, however, that the Crossfade seems to exhibit "tape hiss" in Bluetooth mode, which is evident over silent passages. (All three units that I tried had it to varying degrees.)

Oh yeah, I read this one! I actually had quite a different fit issue with the PX. I found it FAR too easy to break the seal on them to the point that even eating or turning my head made the sound wildly change. Loved the sound, though. Just need to get my hands on those V-Moda...

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,391 of 1,668
Random grievance: The rose gold and Codex edition don't appear to be in physical stock ANYWHERE. This is driving me up a wall.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,394 of 1,668
Best Buy has them in-stock at Magnolia locations.

No they don't. Some will have the regular Matte Black, but none have the Rose Gold and the Codex doesn't appear to be anywhere. They're "in stock" in the sense that you can order them on the website, but not buy them in store.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,395 of 1,668
Well I give up on this journey LMAO.

First up, I'm rather stunned that VModa somehow thought it was a-okay to make the CF2W and only put aptX on the more expensive model, especially after crowing about AAC and then suddenly deciding not to put that on any of them, and then they have the gall to release a "codex edition" that just puts the goddamn codecs that should have been available on them in the first place and act like they're heroes for it. Meanwhile, they also decided not to give actual retail units to any physical stores. I remember buying my M100s at a Brookstone and testing the original CFW at an Inmotion in an airport, but neither location sells VModa anymore. The only places that do are BB Magnolia and Guitar Centers, but of course they aren't actually in stock at either.

It's like they're going out of their way to make buying the product difficult and unpleasant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back