V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 29, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #1,396 of 1,668
Hey MICHAELSD, I sent you a PM. In case you did
Well I give up on this journey LMAO.

First up, I'm rather stunned that VModa somehow thought it was a-okay to make the CF2W and only put aptX on the more expensive model, especially after crowing about AAC and then suddenly deciding not to put that on any of them, and then they have the gall to release a "codex edition" that just puts the goddamn codecs that should have been available on them in the first place and act like they're heroes for it. Meanwhile, they also decided not to give actual retail units to any physical stores. I remember buying my M100s at a Brookstone and testing the original CFW at an Inmotion in an airport, but neither location sells VModa anymore. The only places that do are BB Magnolia and Guitar Centers, but of course they aren't actually in stock at either.

It's like they're going out of their way to make buying the product difficult and unpleasant.

I saw the non codex version at Best buy magnolia in Secaucus NJ. But they only have it demoed in wired mode. If you're in the USA your best bet might be to order it from v-moda directly. You get a full 60 days as opposed to Best Buy's 14 days. You don't even need to request an RMA when returning. Just send it back with a short note saying why you're returning it.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #1,397 of 1,668
I get 45 days through BB because I do a lot of shopping there, and that's the thing. It's been so seamless for me to try/return there that I'd really, really prefer not to have to mess with shipping and crap.

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,399 of 1,668
I agree! I have the 45 days as well. It's so much more convenient, especially if your local Best Buy is a Magnolia.

Yep! It's how I managed to try out literally everything but the CF2W. There's a Matte Black set, but... no aptX/AAC.

They also have the MW60 but even with the crummy wired testing unit I could tell the bass is just wayyyyy overblown on those.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,400 of 1,668
Random grievance: The rose gold and Codex edition don't appear to be in physical stock ANYWHERE. This is driving me up a wall.
Available on the 'zon. Kinda overpriced compared to the non Rose Gold. I got a (Phantom Chrome) set in January, and they were DOA. I had to pay to ship it to their repair facility, but they had very quick turn-around and the actual repair was under warranty. I'm a big guy with big ears, so my ears butted up against the speaker grills on the stock pads. HIGHLY recommend getting the XL pads, as well. These have been my daily drivers at work in Bluetooth mode, and they sound REALLY great. As many have stated previously, they definitely have a bit of tape hiss when in Bluetooth mode.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,401 of 1,668
Available on the 'zon. Kinda overpriced compared to the non Rose Gold. I got a (Phantom Chrome) set in January, and they were DOA. I had to pay to ship it to their repair facility, but they had very quick turn-around and the actual repair was under warranty. I'm a big guy with big ears, so my ears butted up against the speaker grills on the stock pads. HIGHLY recommend getting the XL pads, as well. These have been my daily drivers at work in Bluetooth mode, and they sound REALLY great. As many have stated previously, they definitely have a bit of tape hiss when in Bluetooth mode.

They're not overpriced because the Rose Gold is the only model that has aptX. The non-RG models are stuck with bottom-quality SBC. That's why this is irritating.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,402 of 1,668
They're not overpriced because the Rose Gold is the only model that has aptX. The non-RG models are stuck with bottom-quality SBC. That's why this is irritating.

Gotcha! I did notice that the version I have doesn't mention aptX. I use these mostly for Pandora and YouTube, so aptX would actually be a bit of a waste for me. The few times I've driven (and would EVER drive) DSD through these have been through my DAC/Amp with the hard-wire, which is pretty much the way the cans are designed to be used, so a lack of aptX is fine for me, but I understand that other's mileage will obviously vary based on needs. FWIW the "bottom quality SBC" bluetooth really doesn't affect streaming audio much (just tested Pandora through BT and my desktop rig right now, but I don't use Tidal MQA). So, unless you're going for feature-completeness, it might be worth considering taking the hit.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,403 of 1,668
I mean, Pandora is only 192 at max, not 320 like Spotify et al. So that does make a difference.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,404 of 1,668
I think Codex Edition is like a love letter to head-fi and the fans of V-MODA, and that I can get behind. While it’s not an entirely new headphone which probably could have persuaded me to pay $349, it definitely improves my outlook of V-MODA back closer to my love of the brand when I had the M-100 as my primary headphone since they do listen to feedback. Man, I loved that headphone more than anything for a good while and will always have a place in my audiophile heart for V-MODA.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #1,405 of 1,668
Well I give up on this journey LMAO.

First up, I'm rather stunned that VModa somehow thought it was a-okay to make the CF2W and only put aptX on the more expensive model, especially after crowing about AAC and then suddenly deciding not to put that on any of them, and then they have the gall to release a "codex edition" that just puts the goddamn codecs that should have been available on them in the first place and act like they're heroes for it. Meanwhile, they also decided not to give actual retail units to any physical stores. I remember buying my M100s at a Brookstone and testing the original CFW at an Inmotion in an airport, but neither location sells VModa anymore. The only places that do are BB Magnolia and Guitar Centers, but of course they aren't actually in stock at either.

It's like they're going out of their way to make buying the product difficult and unpleasant.

All of the BB’s near me have CF2WC in-stock for pickup.

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,407 of 1,668
Please humor my ocd for a second. Has anyone noticed the matte black ones coming with handling marks and tiny imperfections? The first one I returned for a battery issue had a nick near the top of the left earcup and the one I received today has small marks that aren't fingerprints.

I wonder if these are customer returns that get repackaged or if they dance around the case during shipping causing the marks.

Second thing I noticed is the cushioned part of the headband has two flat spots on either side of the center the center. Almost as if they changed the cushion style.

Let me know if you too notice these things.

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #1,409 of 1,668
Unless they sold out all Best Buy’s with Magnolia should have it in-stock... also in-stock online.

Bruh.

I literally took my ass to the stores near me. I had them check the stocks online.

There is not a Best Buy within 250 miles of me that has a CF2W model aside from the non-Codex Matte Black.

I am not sure why you're trying to argue with me on this. It's like if I asked for help because I had a flat tire and you wouldn't shut up about how all of your tires are intact.

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #1,410 of 1,668
Bruh.

I literally took my ass to the stores near me. I had them check the stocks online.

There is not a Best Buy within 250 miles of me that has a CF2W model aside from the non-Codex Matte Black.

I am not sure why you're trying to argue with me on this. It's like if I asked for help because I had a flat tire and you wouldn't shut up about how all of your tires are intact.

Why not just buy them online and return to a store if you don’t like them then? I was just pointing out that all Magnolia locations should have them per V-MODA’s post about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back