V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 6, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,292 of 1,668
An apology of sorts is the quite good upgrade offer when going from the now rather old CFW to the new model for 200,- off

I don't really agree. Any apology, by definition, starts with the acknowledgment of the wrongdoing. A cheating husband who buys his wife flowers on the way home is not "apologizing".

The $100 upgrade price is, in fact, a very good deal. However, their usual (amazing!) lifetime upgrade discount is half the price, so a $125 off—or, if they did not lower the price that drastically—$175 off the Crossfade 2 Wireless.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,293 of 1,668
I don't really agree. Any apology, by definition, starts with the acknowledgment of the wrongdoing. A cheating husband who buys his wife flowers on the way home is not "apologizing".

That's why I said "of sorts" above. Yes, advertising a feature that th model seems to never have had is not good style. But in fact I'm considering to upgrade, so that's actually worth more than a correction.
I can understand your point, but have to admit that to me wireless always looks like a compromise. So for my use case (listening while commuting in a rather noisy underground environment) convenience trumped sound quality differences SBC vs. AAC.
Which still does not explain why that went wrong and why there never was some kind of official statement on that matter.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,294 of 1,668
I agree with your sentiment and for your usage you should probably return the Crossfades.

BUT keep in mind that the Crossfade Wireless 2 was designed FIRST as a wired headphone, and a wireless one second. The Sony and the B&O are designed solely for wireless use, and then the wired mode is tacked on as an afterthought. If you plug them in youll see what i mean.
When i saw great deal on amazon.co.uk (170 pounds), i decided to buy and check these headphones (rose gold). And sorry lads, but damn, what a big disappointment to me it was. At the moment i'm using 2 pairs of the headphones (Beoplay H7 and Sony MDR1000X) and if MDR1000X sounds similar (1000X just not so bass heavy + Sony have amazing ANC), so H7 to my ears sounds miles better than Crossfade 2.
I'm not saying that Crossfade 2 sounds so bad, they sound OK, but soundstage, details and clarity (if you compare it to H7) is really really lacking (my phone is Pixel XL2). To me they not even worth 170 pounds, i'm not even talking about insane £330.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,295 of 1,668
Definitely curious but I’d want to test CF2W first before committing. I know Best Buy carries it but they didn’t have a demo for the original model.

Also, how is the Bluetooth stability in a public place like a gym?
I’ve never had an issue with the Bluetooth stability. It’s better than the QC35 II. Seems on par with the HD1. Of course the Studio 3 with Apple products are better than both

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,296 of 1,668
Honestly the marketing on the box should say this so it isnt misleading. maybe "Vmoda M100 Deluxe, now with Wireless Mode" since that is basically what it is.

I fell for it too and didnt know about the wired mode until after i already bought it and was disappointed with the sound compared to my 1st gen Parrot Zik, Bragi Dash, Bragi The Headphone, Sony XB950BT, etc.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,297 of 1,668
I use these at the gym daily (just used it yesterday) and ive never had any drop outs or hitches or anything. Flawless. But dont buy the XL pads if youre going to the gym. The XL pads use a less dense foam (not memory foam) and they have perforations on the inside, so you get a ton of gym noise through the XL pads. The clamp is good enough that when i lay down/get up from the bench I dont have to worry about them slipping off. Plus they are one of the few actually good looking headphones that you can wear in public

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,298 of 1,668
I’ve never had an issue with the Bluetooth stability. It’s better than the QC35 II. Seems on par with the HD1. Of course the Studio 3 with Apple products are better than both

I haven’t had the best luck with non-Apple Bluetooth headphones but everything I’ve tried with the W1 chip holds a rock-solid connection. I’m considering trying CF2W but I don’t want to have to RMA it due to issues with the wireless so hopefully there’s no Bluetooth hiss or connection issues.

V-MODA should issue a public apology regarding Crossfade Wireless. They’re a relatively small company so they’re not held to the scrutiny Bose or Sony would face if they unknowingly misled consumers. That’s beside the point though, as it’s great that V-MODA listened to feedback. Even if it’s not an entirely new headphone and just CF2W with aptX and AAC like it should have been when it was released a year ago, that’s still enough for me to consider it.

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,299 of 1,668
I haven’t had the best luck with non-Apple Bluetooth headphones but everything I’ve tried with the W1 chip holds a rock-solid connection. I’m considering trying CF2W but I don’t want to have to RMA it due to issues with the wireless so hopefully there’s no Bluetooth hiss or connection issues.

V-MODA should issue a public apology regarding Crossfade Wireless. They’re a relatively small company so they’re not held to the scrutiny Bose or Sony would face if they unknowingly misled consumers. That’s beside the point though, as it’s great that V-MODA listened to feedback. Even if it’s not an entirely new headphone and just CF2W with aptX and AAC like it should have been when it was released a year ago, that’s still enough for me to consider it.
I've owned the original Matte Black, and most recently the Rose Gold. Never had an issue with Bluetooth Connections or hissing. I think you'll really like it. Probably wouldn't replace your HD1 if that's the only noise cancelling headphone you have.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #1,300 of 1,668
Best Buy with Magnolia is supposed to have a demo, will try it out next time I visit Best Buy.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,302 of 1,668
Well stink, just got my CFW 2 burnt in. Sounding pretty good wireless but much better wired. Definitely a fun set of headphones. I found the middles a little muddled coming from Sen HD25 II but I am enjoying the V-Moda's and it is great to have the wireless as backup.

Do we know yet if there are any upgrades to the drivers or the Bluetooth version? I believe the CFW2 are Bluetooth 3, things have come a long way since then. In fact I am quite surprised the Codex version doesn't have APTX-HD.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,303 of 1,668
So am I the only one who hears a prominent tape hiss whenever the internal amp switches on? It's very obvious, especially during podcasts and the like. Not a deal-breaker, but very annoying.

It's a shame because I otherwise adore these headphones. If it's not the expected behavior, perhaps I'll send them in and hope the warranty comes through.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,304 of 1,668
Archagon, initially I did hear a significant hiss on wireless. I then tried wired and was shocked to find the hiss still there and the sound was terrible. I changed cables and it went away. Then after 40 hours of burn in the wireless hiss stopped as well.

Not sure if that will help you but good ouck.
After more listening on wireless there is no comparison to the wired sound. In fact the wireless mode isn't that great compared to other wireless headphones.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,305 of 1,668
Archagon, initially I did hear a significant hiss on wireless. I then tried wired and was shocked to find the hiss still there and the sound was terrible. I changed cables and it went away. Then after 40 hours of burn in the wireless hiss stopped as well.

Not sure if that will help you but good ouck.
After more listening on wireless there is no comparison to the wired sound. In fact the wireless mode isn't that great compared to other wireless headphones.
You definitely shouldn't be hearing a hiss with the wire plugged, inserting the wire turns off the electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back