using WAV files
Oct 2, 2017 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Anthony Campbell

Head-Fier
Morning folks,
Over the weekend I decided to rip a few cd's to WAV to compare against my usual MP3 (320kbs). When comparing the same songs, I noticed a slight improvement in clarity, and better separation. Is this true, or am I just wanting to hear these improvements?
On the same issue there were some songs, Floyd's Fat old sun, and Metallica's Carpe Diem Baby, that I could hear feint crackling from the right hand side. Could this be down to the player which is an old rockboxed Sansa fuse?

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 39
Morning folks,
Over the weekend I decided to rip a few cd's to WAV to compare against my usual MP3 (320kbs). When comparing the same songs, I noticed a slight improvement in clarity, and better separation. Is this true, or am I just wanting to hear these improvements?
Hard to say without knowing how the comparison was done, but if it wasn't done with some sort of ABX test, then bias would be involved.
On the same issue there were some songs, Floyd's Fat old sun, and Metallica's Carpe Diem Baby, that I could hear feint crackling from the right hand side. Could this be down to the player which is an old rockboxed Sansa fuse?
Not enough info here either. Was the crackling confined to .mp3 or was it on both .mp3 and .wav? Is it related to volume? Did you try another pair of headphones?

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 39
There shouldn’t be any difference between a wav file and 320 mp3. It’s most likely just expectation bias.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 39
Oct 2, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 39
Hi,
It was just a listening exercise by myself. I used my VE monks, and sennheiser px100's. I didn't hear any crackling with mp3 files, just on the wav files.
I'd probably open the wav file in Audacity and see if anything has clipped. That's not a difference between mp3 and wav, that's an anomaly that should be easy to get to the bottom of. You might detail your ripping procedure, perhaps your playback device.

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 39
LP 4AD ‎- CAD 705 (1987, UK)

CD 4AD ‎- CAD 705 CD (1987, UK)
CD 4AD ‎- CAD 2708 CD (2008, UK) Remastered by John A. Rivers

Owning all three of these and knowing the album well I ripped the remastered CD to FLAC and 320kbs. Most don't rip to WAVE due to tagging issues.

44.1/16 FLAC and WAVE 44.1/16 sound exactly the same. Most never question that.

Putting the songs in random order in Foobar I was not able to choose the MP3 over the FLAC on my best equipment.

Your clicks could be from the rip if they are always in the same place. If not your decoder is lagging.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 39
LAME and AAC are better than plain vanilla Frauenhofer MP3. It isn't common knowledge, but AAC 320 VBR can actually go above 320 if necessary. MP3 320 VBR won't. AAC is a better codec overall.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 39
Hi,
I just use windows media on my laptop to rip my cd's. Is there better programs to use to rip cd's?
Or it could be a slight difference in volume. You’ll hear the one which is louder as better - it’s how we’re wide as humans. You need to have completely volume matched to know for sure (plus blind abx).

Try this - if you’re interested in running tests yourself. The software is free.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/set...-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding.655879/
I had a read through your thread. I haven't done the test, but I found it very interesting, and it does play into the notion that I'm hearing what I want to hear.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 39
Hi,
I just use windows media on my laptop to rip my cd's. Is there better programs to use to rip cd's?

The codec and bitrate matter a lot more than the software.

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 39
I wonder if ripping to WAV using WMP is a good idea.
At the time I was using WMP11 it did write only a few tags to the WAV and at rip time only.
All the edits you do afterwards are library only.
So if you move this WAV to another computer you probably missing a lot of tags.
As even MS supports FLAC today (probably on Win10 only) I suggest to use FLAC.
Bit more about tags and WAV: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV_KB.htm

Most today's software does a good job ripping CDs.
Make sure error correction is on if you are using WMP
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/WMP/ErrorCorrection.htm

I prefer dBpoweramp for ripping
· It is fast and stable.
· Easy to configure.
· It supports AccurateRip.
· Meta data from AMG, GD3, MusicBrainz and FreeDB.
· Reliable format converter.

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 39
If you want to hear the difference between MP3 (lossy compression) and WAV (uncompressed) or FLAC (lossless compression), focus on the treble. And use test music that have complex instrumentation going on. Upon compression, when the bits are no longer enough to represent the full waveform, somethings get messed up in the treble region. You'll be able to hear it. High bitrate 320kbps mp3 will make it more challenging to hear the difference, but depending on the complexity of the track, you will detect it.

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 39
If the WAVs have no headroom then the MP3s made therefrom could be clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back