Using the HifiMan HM player as a USB DAC with Samsung Galaxy Phones and Tablets
Aug 24, 2012 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
If you have a HifiMan HM-60x or HM-801, try the OTG cable with your Samsung Galaxy phone or Tablet.

I got both my HM-601 and HM-801 to work with the USB DAC input with an OTG USB adapter with my Galaxy Note 10.1.

Be sure to power up the HifiMan player and connect the USB cable and OTG adapter before plugging into the Samsung Galaxy.  Otherwise you might get the "High Power USB" error.

Sure it seems a little silly to hook up an external DAC to Samsung Galaxy phone or tablet, but it does sound a lot better.

-Ed

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi, I might get a good deal on a Note - did yours need any software modification to enable this? I'm planning to use a GNote with my Cantate for now, but I might get other gear later - either a self-powered DAC like the Cantate, but a portable that completely runs off its own battery, to use for casual listening, or still use it with the Cantate (it's on low gain anyway, works with Grados and IEMs) and get another, much better, USB DAC to work with the iPad (on an upright dock with the CCK) I'm currently using as a music server. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Did not need any changes to my settings, mods, or extra software.  Just worked. 

Again please note (no pun intended) that it's best to plug the USB plug into the HifiMan and the OTG adapter BEFORE plugging into the Phone/Tablet.

-Ed

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Did not need any changes to my settings, mods, or extra software.  Just worked. 

Again please note (no pun intended) that it's best to plug the USB plug into the HifiMan and the OTG adapter BEFORE plugging into the Phone/Tablet.

-Ed

Hey, how is the Hifiman 601 sound quality when using it in the the Galaxy Note? Would it be on par in terms of sound quality using a comparatively priced USB DAC/AMP like the Pico DAC/AMP with the Note or another Galaxy phone?

I'm a bit torn between buying a Hifiman 601/602 or buying a decent USB DAC/AMP like the Pico or Go DAP X. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 5
I tried with Nexus 4 running 4.2.2 and Galaxy S3 in 4.1. Both didn't work :frowning2:. The player goes to USB Data Exchange mode. But, the audio is coming from the phone speakers only
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back