Using Sony Walkman NW-A55 as transport with external DAC
May 3, 2023 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joutxaigues

New Head-Fier
I want to connect my NW-A55 to my Marantz ND8006's USB-B input because for some insane reason you can't scrub using the HEOS app when playing files from an external drive connected to the USB-A input. Using my DAP as a transport would let me listen to my digital music collection through my stereo with the ability to control playback.

I know there's a Sony cable for this (WMC-NWH10), but it's unacceptably expensive for my needs and since I don't know if my DAP and external DAC will be compatible.

Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to just use the same cable I use for charging and data transfer (WMPORT to USB-A) with a female USB-A to male USB-B adapter like this? If the charging cable lacks some special digital-out magic, I also found a cheaper cable that looks very similar to the WMC-NWH10 and a straight WMPORT to USB-B cable but I haven't seen anyone vouch for them.

Anyone have experience with any of the configurations I'm considering?

May 8, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 4
May 8, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 4
True! Thanks for the link. I've had my eye on that listing from madanthony02 since I started looking, but I can't quite bring myself to pay $70 for a dongle. And I don't know if it will be compatible with the Marantz ND8006.

I saw a post from MrWalkman on this forum where he claimed that the WMC-NWH10 has some special circuitry allowing it to act as a bridge between the NW-A55 and external DAC — I assume the cheaper third-party options have this, too, but that rules out using a USB-B adapter on my charging cable. The AliExpress one I linked to in my original post is around $30 and can be returned, but I haven't seen anyone vouch for it.

May 9, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 4
True! Thanks for the link. I've had my eye on that listing from madanthony02 since I started looking, but I can't quite bring myself to pay $70 for a dongle. And I don't know if it will be compatible with the Marantz ND8006.

I saw a post from MrWalkman on this forum where he claimed that the WMC-NWH10 has some special circuitry allowing it to act as a bridge between the NW-A55 and external DAC — I assume the cheaper third-party options have this, too, but that rules out using a USB-B adapter on my charging cable. The AliExpress one I linked to in my original post is around $30 and can be returned, but I haven't seen anyone vouch for it.
I could not get it to feed the Cambridge Audio DAC I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back