Using Headphone DAC & AMP for Guitar
Apr 8, 2021 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

astropalace

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Looking for some help here.. Googling has been driving me nuts.

I want to pick up playing guitar again, but I'd like to play quietly with headphones. This is something I've never done, though, so it's all new to me.. Is it possible to run the guitar into an audio interface, hook up the interface into my PC via USB, then listen to the playing by installing a DAW software through the usb input to my balanced DAC? The final chain would look like this:

Guitar -> audio interface -> PC (DAW) -> DAC -> AMP -> headphones

It feels like this may cause some latency, but wanted to see if others had experience with this as I'd like to use the gear I already have if possible. I know that I could plug my headphones directly into the audio interface, but I also had concerns around damaging my headphones..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell.. I'm in a severe lack of knowledge/experience here :)

Apr 9, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 4
Apr 9, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi All,

Looking for some help here.. Googling has been driving me nuts.

I want to pick up playing guitar again, but I'd like to play quietly with headphones. This is something I've never done, though, so it's all new to me.. Is it possible to run the guitar into an audio interface, hook up the interface into my PC via USB, then listen to the playing by installing a DAW software through the usb input to my balanced DAC? The final chain would look like this:

Guitar -> audio interface -> PC (DAW) -> DAC -> AMP -> headphones

It feels like this may cause some latency, but wanted to see if others had experience with this as I'd like to use the gear I already have if possible. I know that I could plug my headphones directly into the audio interface, but I also had concerns around damaging my headphones..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell.. I'm in a severe lack of knowledge/experience here :)
If you have everything else in the chain you mentioned, you don't need the AMP part. Just get a plugin like 'Native Instruments Guitar Rig' or 'IK Multimedia Amplitube' (there's also simpler free software) to run within your DAW. This will give you a ton of choice when it comes to effects and amp modelling. There will always be a tiny bit of latency (usually less than 10 milliseconds with a good interface) but you'll barely notice it. The original RME Babyface can be had for a few hundred bucks 2nd hand - that's an amazingly good quality interface/DAC with an instrument input and headphone output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back