Using Filo E17 with old NAD receiver
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ed94582

New Head-Fier
Would it be possible or would it even make sense to incorporate a setup that includes a Filo E17, a MacBook Pro, an old mid 1990s NAD receiver (only analog composite connections and no optical connections) and some desktop speakers.

The thought is to connect the MacBook Pro to the E17 via USB then connect the E17 to old NAD receiver via AUX input on the E17 via a mini to RCA cables connector to the AUX input on the NAD connected to desktop/bookshelf speakers

(btw, I'm new to headphone amps/DACs so sorry if just doesn't make sense).

Since I always liked the NAD receiver and it's just gathering dust (as I've moved on the modern Home Theater Receivers with HDMI switching for my Home Theater rooms etc.) that perhaps I can use it to power some speakers connected to the MacBook Pro.

Not worth it -- or should I just get some Audioengine A2s and connect that to the Filo E17 and be done with it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the above.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Not sure what a NAD receiver is but if it can accept an input through RCA and can play, then yes it will work.

I would get the FiiO L7, no point in using the E17's amp as I am guessing the receiver or bookshelves are actively powered.

First you need a FiiO L7

And then you plug it in like so. The L7 works with the E7 and E17.

You plug the L7 into your dock port of the E17 and then you also need a 3.5mm plug like in the picuture. You need a male plug to plug into the L7 and the other end of that wire will need to be whatever the input you want to use is. If your quad amp accepts and you want to use 3.5mm..then do the same. If it accepts RCA then then a male 3.5mm to male RCA plug cable

Now after this is done play some music and go to the E17, are you able to control the volume(and actually hear it get louder or quieter) or use the EQ option of the E17? If so then you need to set the LO switch to the right position. When this happens your E17 is essentially in variable out meaning your pre amp in the E17 is still engaged, some still like to use EQ of E17 or change volume or have or use the pre amp of a DAC or amp combo as it's just what they want but for you, it seems you want fixed line out which means the e17 will be in use just as a DAC. Well like I said above, find the LO bypass switch on the side of your E17...see it? There will be an up or down position. However way you are looking at it. Flip it to the opposite side. It will then be in fixed line out(unless you mistaked the side it was suppose to switch to, try it a few times if not, as the switch isn't perfectly up or down and may confuse you as it's kinda in the middle for some people) This section of the instructions are for only if you are able to control the EQ and volume.

Enjoy!

"Welcome to headfi! Sorry about your wallet"

And remember, I do not know what a NAD receiver is, but if it can play audio and will play audio accepted through it's RCA input then it will work.

If you haven't bought an E17 yet, then keep in mind that it looks like this will be a desktop setup, there are cheaper STANDALONE DAC's out on the market that have a better DAC and cheaper than the E17. But the E17 is super multi functional and portable and desktop.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Stick with the receiver and passive speakers!

Will the E17 be used portably with headphones as well? Or do you only need it for it's DAC function. If it is the latter, I would suggest taking a look at the ODAC, as it may better fit your need.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Heck yeah you can! I run my itunes and iPod through my Carver receiver and my old 70's era Pioneer you just need a 3.5mm adapter to RCA..... Doesn't matter that the receiver is 20 years old.

Every device on earth must play nice with RCA... Plus you'll get the benefit of a cleaner signal sent to your receiver... and honestly older receivers are more powerful for speakers.... As long as its for your home system.... If it was some office desktop set up I'd say no... but if your talking home setup.... Just buy this adapter for $10.00

EDIT: And then run Mac usb to your E17 - E17 3.5mm line out to your receiver RCA
Plus the E17 works as a portable amp for your iPod or what have you. Dual duty.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Stereo-design-accomodates-smartphone/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343776415&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5mm+to+rca

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Did I read correctly that bowei doesn't know what a NAD receiver is
eek.gif
: http://nadelectronics.com/home

If you want to listen to headphones occasionally I would choose a DAC/AMP solution. If not you can just go with only a DAC. I don't know many DAC's but other members will :).

The earlier mentioned ODAC (a objective scientific approach at DAC) 150 dollar at JDS Labs

HRT Music Streamer II

Are two options I know of.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Quote:
Not sure what a NAD receiver is but if it can accept an input through RCA and can play, then yes it will work.

I would get the FiiO L7, no point in using the E17's amp as I am guessing the receiver or bookshelves are actively powered.

First you need a FiiO L7

And then you plug it in like so. The L7 works with the E7 and E17.

You plug the L7 into your dock port of the E17 and then you also need a 3.5mm plug like in the picuture. You need a male plug to plug into the L7 and the other end of that wire will need to be whatever the input you want to use is. If your quad amp accepts and you want to use 3.5mm..then do the same. If it accepts RCA then then a male 3.5mm to male RCA plug cable

Now after this is done play some music and go to the E17, are you able to control the volume(and actually hear it get louder or quieter) or use the EQ option of the E17? If so then you need to set the LO switch to the right position. When this happens your E17 is essentially in variable out meaning your pre amp in the E17 is still engaged, some still like to use EQ of E17 or change volume or have or use the pre amp of a DAC or amp combo as it's just what they want but for you, it seems you want fixed line out which means the e17 will be in use just as a DAC. Well like I said above, find the LO bypass switch on the side of your E17...see it? There will be an up or down position. However way you are looking at it. Flip it to the opposite side. It will then be in fixed line out(unless you mistaked the side it was suppose to switch to, try it a few times if not, as the switch isn't perfectly up or down and may confuse you as it's kinda in the middle for some people) This section of the instructions are for only if you are able to control the EQ and volume.

Enjoy!

"Welcome to headfi! Sorry about your wallet"

And remember, I do not know what a NAD receiver is, but if it can play audio and will play audio accepted through it's RCA input then it will work.

If you haven't bought an E17 yet, then keep in mind that it looks like this will be a desktop setup, there are cheaper STANDALONE DAC's out on the market that have a better DAC and cheaper than the E17. But the E17 is super multi functional and portable and desktop.

May 1, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 9
OK -- I know it's almost 2 years after I made the original post but I finally moved my old NAD receiver that was gathering dust into my office -- along with an old NAD CD changer and an Oppo DVD player that I use as a CD player as well -- they were all gathering dust for about 7 or 8 years.  

I bought a Fiio E9K to use with the E17 that I bought two years ago and have that hooked up to the Macbook via USB  with the E17 docked.  To connect this set up with my old NAD receiver I have RCA into the preamp out on the E9K to the "Tape" input on the NAD receiver.  Works great but my question is -- is this the right way to connect the NAD receiver in the chain (am I damaging anything) and with this connection both the volume knob on the E9K and on the NAD receiver control the volume -- should I set the volume fairly high on the NAD receiver and adjust more granular levels with the E9K or vice versa and keep the volume on the 9K at a higher level and make adjustments on the NAD receiver?

Any advice or suggestions to this set up would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back