Using Fiio E07K on a ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard... ?
Dec 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Lucenzo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm not really good at all this high tech audio stuff so don't shoot me for asking this...

I'm using a beyerdynamic DT 990 pro atm with a ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard, but sometimes with certain types of music like dubstep etc. I feel like the bass isn't deep and/or punchy enough, it's perfect for any other type of music, but for some types of music I'd like to have that extra punch/oomph behind the bass..

Now I know I can adjust my bass with the EQ on the soundcard but I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff and I can't seem to find a good deep bass setting where the rest of the music isn't suffering or sounding all weird and distorted...

So I google'd a bit and I came across these portable headphone amps where you can adjust the bass and only the bass with the touch of a button, without making the mids or highs sound weird or distorted..

So my question to is: if I plug this  Fiio E07K for example (good price /quality apparently), in to my soundcard, and my headphone in to the Fiio E07K..

Like this:

Soundcard <------> Fiio E07K <------> DT 990 Pro

Will it use the soundcard's amp or the fiio's amp? And if it overwrites the soundcard, will I lose a lot of quality? I can imagine the soundcard will make the DT990's sound a bit better than the fiio can? 

And if for some reason (please explain why :p) this setup won't work, how can I boost my bass output with the soundcard without making the whole song sound like crap?

Thank you so much in advance, I've been looking for a solution to my bass problem so long now..

PS: (DT 770's are no option, I've had them, but they isolate way too much, I need to be able to hear my kids when something is wrong ^^ )

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 2
  I'm not really good at all this high tech audio stuff so don't shoot me for asking this...
I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro atm with a ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card, but sometimes with certain types of music like Dubstep etc. I feel like the bass isn't deep and/or punchy enough, it's perfect for any other type of music, but for some types of music I'd like to have that extra punch/oomph behind the bass..
Now I know I can adjust my bass with the EQ on the sound card but I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff and I can't seem to find a good deep bass setting where the rest of the music isn't suffering or sounding all weird and distorted...
So I google'd a bit and I came across these portable headphone amps where you can adjust the bass and only the bass with the touch of a button, without making the mids or highs sound weird or distorted..
So my question to is: if I plug this  FiiO E07K for example (good price /quality apparently), in to my sound card, and my headphone in to the FiiO E07K..
Will it use the sound card's amp or the FiiO's amp? And if it overwrites the soundcard, will I lose a lot of quality? I can imagine the sound card will make the DT990's sound a bit better than the FiiO can? 
And if for some reason (please explain why :p) this setup won't work, how can I boost my bass output with the sound card without making the whole song sound like crap?
Thank you so much in advance, I've been looking for a solution to my bass problem so long now..
PS: (DT 770's are no option, I've had them, but they isolate way too much, I need to be able to hear my kids when something is wrong ^^ )

I really doubt the E07K would offer an audio improvement with the DT990, over using the STX's head amp.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Is the gain set to <64 or 64~300 or 300<
Try installing the third party drives "Unified Xonar Drivers".
Try using the program Foobar2000 for playing music audio files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back