using amplifier with amplified headphones
Sep 12, 2010 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hellbent

New Head-Fier
so i have a pair of amplified headphones. I was just wondering, would i be able to also use a headphone amp with them eventhough they are already amplified. Would this just be pointless, or could i still gain some performance with it?

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Why? Aren't they loud enough?

I wouldn't worry about gaining performance with the Beats. They are what they are and if you enjoy them, keep enjoying them. A better amp would be like bringing a bottle of Dom Perignon to the 29 cent taco night at Del Taco or sprinking caviar on a Big Mac.

Now, I'll eat cheap tacos and McDonald's and enjoy them, but I have no pretentions towards improving them. I also keep a crappy stereo in my car and like it well enough. It's one of those situations where you'd have to throw everything out and start over before you see gains.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 13
well honestly for the music i listen to, they still dont make enough bass. With music like dubstep and DnB almost half of the song is in the bassline at very low frequencies, so you can pretty much never have too much bass. So im not really looking for quality gains so much as just shear volume and bass levels.

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 13
The problem you run into is a limit of the size of headphone drivers. I doubt the drivers are bigger than around 50mm, and there's only so much air they can move, no matter how much power you throw at them. They're much smaller than even an 8" woofer in a speaker.

Some people have integrated a subwoofer with a K-1000. Something like that might work.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 13
The problem with the equalizer is that it might cause the amp to clip or push the cone into distortion/breaking up.

I just pulled up the stats and the Beats have a 40mm driver. That's 1.575 inches. That's tiny. You're trying to find something that will make a 1.575" driver sound like a driver that is five or six times bigger. It is a physical limitation.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 13
Why don't you try using the equalizer settings on your player? It's zero cost, and (correct me if I'm wrong here guys) there's no risk of damaging the headphones by using it. Try that out and let us know if that gives you enough bass.

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 13
alright ill give that a try since its so cheap...so just to be clear here, using the amp with the already amplified beats wont cause any problems? as in it wont mess up the other amps from too much amplification if thats even possible. sorry for the noob question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back