Using a SMSL M8 DAC with a Objective 2 amp
Aug 3, 2015 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

andrx471

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! This may be a bit of a dumb question, but I want to make sure these two units are compatible before i buy the dac. How would I connect these together? I know I would go from my computer to the dac, but how would the dac connect with the amp? The DAC doesnt have a single port output that would match the single port input of the amp, but maybe im missing something. Thank you for your help!

http://smsl-audio.com/index.php?c=msg&id=1274

https://www.jdslabs.com/mobile/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 42
rca to 1/8 inch. Rca outs from the smsl into the 1/8" in on the o2

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 42
Here's an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-2-Pack-Plated-Adapter/dp/B00ESM3NAK/ref=pd_sim_267_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=04SBDM12QTHPQ1A9RMT1

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 42
receiver? if it's a speaker receiver, idt you need it, but if it isn't too much more, you might as well not risk the possible hassle. I don't have issues with my e07k and e09k next to my receiver, but idk, ymmv

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 42
Yeah I just found out about this from the current MassDrop first time I seen on Slickdeals(search reveals this is first time recognized by SD) I really need to dig into this forum, andrx741 this thread is kind of comical you should study audio connector standards and given the quality of this dac maybe some OCC wire and plating options plus various wire suppliers(material science is your friend for making your own cheap cables).  Lots of good headphone deals the last month so I decided it was time for a good DAC then this falls in my lap.  Feeling trigger happy on this one.  Is there a better bang for the buck than the SMSL M8?  Please be absolutely ruthless....

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 42
For around the cost of the SMSL and the O2 amp, I would get either the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 (or uber models) or the Audio GD NFB-15.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 42
SMSL M8 is supposed to blow the modi(modi is cheaper but supposedly inferior about to pull trigger on M8 so I havent heard either) and nfb-15 out of the water for cheaper on MassDrop.  The O2 needs to be upgraded to match the dac but its all he has for now.......

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 42
SMSL M8 is supposed to blow the modi(modi is cheaper but supposedly inferior about to pull trigger on M8 so I havent heard either) and nfb-15 out of the water for cheaper on MassDrop.  The O2 needs to be upgraded to match the dac but its all he has for now.......

Sounds like hype to me. The NFB-11 uses the ES9018 DAC chip, and it apparently does not "blow" the NFB-15 "out of the water." People put a lot of faith in more expensive DAC chips as specs that determine improvement in SQ.

That being said, I didn't realize the SMSL was on Massdrop. Assuming that it doesn't have the reliability issues of past SMSL equipment, then it looks like a good deal.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 42
Sounds like hype to me. The NFB-11 uses the ES9018 DAC chip, and it apparently does not "blow" the NFB-15 "out of the water." People put a lot of faith in more expensive DAC chips as specs that determine improvement in SQ.

That being said, I didn't realize the SMSL was on Massdrop. Assuming that it doesn't have the reliability issues of past SMSL equipment, then it looks like a good deal.

I don't think there were any issues last drop, so I am kind of tempted to get the smsl, too.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 42
Thank you everyone for your help! I indeed was looking at it on massdrop. I am going back and forth on whether I should get the smsl or the odac. I like the DSD support on the smsl, but I only have a handful of DSD files anyway. I also like the simplicity of the odac and its 30 bucks cheaper. From what i have read, both dont add much coloration to the sound, but admittedly, there isnt a tone of info out there on the smsl. Decisions, decisions....

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 42
The ODAC sounds great for the money, IMO. If you could compare them properly, you might find that the SMSL and the ODAC have no significant difference. The ODAC has already tested to be very accurate and transparent, which is what you want from a DAC.

Audio science suggests that there is no significant benefit from DSD vs. CD audio in terms of SQ. What can happen is that higher res music files are sometimes mastered better. Sometimes. But it's not the better sampling rate/bit rate of the format that makes the SQ difference. For example, see this discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/716822/why-24-bit-audio-and-anything-over-48k-is-not-only-worthless-but-bad-for-music. The main definitive advantage to me of the SMSL over the ODAC would be the different digital input options. Seems like you don't need them now, but perhaps it might come in handy in the future for only $30 more??? You'd have to make the call over that. On the other hand, the ODAC is very small which makes it very portable and takes up little room on your desk:

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 42
Thanks for the responses everyone. I joined the massdrop for the smsl. If I see a discounted odac, I will probably cancel the smsl, but for $30 more it sounds like a pretty awesome deal.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 42
We are of diametrically opposed camps; you are now taking what I have termed the "Church of Digital Infallibility Computer Weenie TinFoil Stuck Rutting Mainstream Cult", and I ascribe to what my ears hear which is the final say of everything and anything else is nonsense.  I didn't base my consensus on what I heard as I have heard neither, and while many modern DACs may be some of the closest sounding pieces of equipment at similar price points I agree with reviews I have read and I based my positioning of SMSL M8 in the heirarchy based on its comparisons to dacs above the audio-gd dacs not merely the dac chip.  Debunker nonsense of sullen poo flinging monkeys that there is nothing better, and "stop showing off mr rich fast pants we have scientific arguments to shut you up" is merely monkey bureaucracy corruption trying to make everything a wash with monkey hole logic.  Anyone can hear the difference flipping between the settings on their realtek.  Case Closed.  The O2 amp is boring which makes me have little faith in any of the audio science NvAwGuy arguments.  Monkey hole bureaucracy nothing more.  WORLD DOMINATION OF THE AUDIOPHILE MASTER RACE!!!! 

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 42
We are of diametrically opposed camps; you are now taking what I have termed the "Church of Digital Infallibility Computer Weenie TinFoil Stuck Rutting Mainstream Cult", and I ascribe to what my ears hear which is the final say of everything and anything else is nonsense.  I didn't base my consensus on what I heard as I have heard neither, and while many modern DACs may be some of the closest sounding pieces of equipment at similar price points I agree with reviews I have read and I based my positioning of SMSL M8 in the heirarchy based on its comparisons to amps above the audio-gd amps not merely the dac chip.  Debunker nonsense of sullen poo flinging monkeys that there is nothing better, and "stop showing off mr rich fast pants we have scientific arguments to shut you up" is merely monkey bureaucracy corruption trying to make everything a wash with monkey hole logic.  Anyone can hear the difference flipping between the settings on their realtek.  Case Closed.  The O2 amp is boring which makes me have little faith in any of the audio science NvAwGuy arguments.  Monkey hole bureaucracy nothing more.  WORLD DOMINATION OF THE AUDIOPHILE MASTER RACE!!!! 

Ummm....the SMSL M8 is a DAC. It is not an amp. One would have to compare it to the DAC in the Audio-GD products, not the amps. Not being able to use the rudimentary terminology correctly here is just as flawed as much of the rest of your argument. And way to go crapping on the OPs purchase of the O2. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back