Using a PC to feed an external DAC via USB
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sehnsucht

Head-Fier
I've got an Asgard 3 with the optional internal 4490 DAC addon, which is great, and I'm connecting it to my phone via USB. I'm investigating other sources, chiefly a PC, and I was wondering how I go about ensuring that a given PC (which I don't have in front of me, such as one I'm considering buying) can actually feed a DAC in this manner. Is there a term or a chipset or minimum speed I need to be aware of?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 10
USB signal is digital (zeros and ones) signal, the Asgard is analog (wave) signal.
Not sure how you got them to directly connect?

The Asgard can be connected to the speaker/headphone jack on the PC.

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 10
Sorry, I'm an idiot and I've now edited my question to be more clear!
PCs can work with a bigger variety of DACs then any smartphone.
So your Windows 10 PC will either already have the USB drivers, to connect to the Schiit DAC or will automatically download the correct drivers

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 10
if you can drop huge doe get a music server.

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 10
PCs can work with a bigger variety of DACs then any smartphone.
So your Windows 10 PC will either already have the USB drivers, to connect to the Schiit DAC or will automatically download the correct drivers

(I don't have a windows 10 PC and I don't want one!) I am interested in building a dedicated Linux box which will just play music (standard resoltion FLAC and 320kbps MP3) and let me control it from android/web (so not bothered about the gui). I'm going to be using a mixture of on board and networked (samba over wifi) music, but if the networking is flaky I can settle for local only.

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 10
(I don't have a windows 10 PC and I don't want one!) I am interested in building a dedicated Linux box which will just play music (standard resoltion FLAC and 320kbps MP3) and let me control it from android/web (so not bothered about the gui). I'm going to be using a mixture of on board and networked (samba over wifi) music, but if the networking is flaky I can settle for local only.
In the future it might help to start off saying your building a Linux computer, when you just say "PC" people assume you are talking about a MS Windows computer (not a big deal).
Anyway, the Schiit AK4490 DAC card uses the C-Media CM6631A USB interface chip, which is listed, by C-Media, as working with Linux embedded USB drivers.

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Oct 17, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back