Used Sennheiser 580s
Apr 29, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to apologize to me I'm quite entertained
smily_headphones1.gif

Going to try them out with a couple things. My computer and my ipod which I just bought a portable amp for (I don't care if I look ridiculous). I've read differing views on whether these need to be amped or not but it seems most people agree that an amp will help just about any decent HP.

I also found myself walking around a vintage stereo equipment store the other day and you just never know what I'll blow my money on.

I just wanted to know if you're using an amp with them. An amp makes a world of difference (imo) with these phones. I'm sure you'll love them
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely understand what you're saying but vcoheda is allowed to have his own opinion yes? and I can see that vcoheda comes off a little aggressive but not really.

and no, I havent been really following your edu thread since I did all the mods except painting a while ago.

and he wasnt trying to deter people from buying the 580s. It was his opinion that the 600s were more worthwhile to buy then the 580s. Its his opinion, he's allowed to have one. The buying power rests with the customer and he/she can choose to buy a 580 or a 600. Its not our fault if a person buys a 580 or a 600 and hates it. It all rests with the buyer and we're just trying to steer the buyer to a good buy. And a good buy is not an absolute thing as you probably know.

i just realized that I come off as vcoheda's lawyer or something like that. Not at all. I met the guy at a meet once. I just like free expression
smily_headphones1.gif

the subjectiveness and relativity of this hobby is not lost on me, jinp. he makes a quantitative claim, that 600s are by construction better than 580mod, not the qualitative one you think, that he feels for him the 600s sound better. its the recklessness with which he tosses out these evidently poorly founded quantitative claims of his! and how, when challenged, utterly fails to offer any form of rebuttal or citation otherwise!

fact is, matched drivers don't make much of a difference, there is no carbon fiber anything on the 600s and the grilles are a central mod (see edu page 2 for cited links).

sure! vcoheda and everyone else is entitled to his or her own qualitative assessment of SQ and other performance measures of headphones, but to make such a quantitative, negative assertion in the middle of a clear EDU thread and not be able to quantitatively back it up? c'mon.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

I just wanted to know if you're using an amp with them. An amp makes a world of difference (imo) with these phones. I'm sure you'll love them
smily_headphones1.gif

x2

an amp is definitely a worthwhile investment.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. has been shown to have negligible effect and is evidenced by the many people who prefer the modded 580 over the 600

2. carbon fiber makes a UNIVERSE of difference in terms of SQ
rolleyes.gif

3. 600s cost TWICE as much as 580s and the grilles cost $15/pair. they pop right onto the 580s.

And, the HD 600 still doesn't have the HD 650 cable. Many HD 580 owners seem to like this upgrade/mod, and I would think that if there's much of an SQ gap between a modded HD 580 and a stock HD 600 (I have only heard the HD 580, so I'm not making comparative claims here), the upgraded cable might do much to close it. Keeping this in mind, I think it makes it even more justifiable to buy the HD 580 on the cheap and pay for some inexpensive, yet rewarding, upgrades.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, the HD 600 still doesn't have the HD 650 cable. Many HD 580 owners seem to like this upgrade/mod, and I would think that if there's much of an SQ gap between a modded HD 580 and a stock HD 600 (I have only heard the HD 580, so I'm not making comparative claims here), the upgraded cable might do much to close it. Keeping this in mind, I think it makes it even more justifiable to buy the HD 580 on the cheap and pay for some inexpensive, yet rewarding, upgrades.

it also rewards those who like to toy around with their headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 66
the hd580 is a nice upgrade if you already own those headphones. but if don't own one and are thinking about buying that or the hd600, then it comes down to cost, getting the best headphone for the money. an hd580 plus all the mods will cost you around $140-$150; more if you purchase the headphone new. but you can buy a used hd600 for $180-$190 and it seems to me that this extra cost is worth it because you get more closely matched drivers (which i'm not sure why people write off as being unimportant), carbon fiber bales, and stainless steel grills. and of course you can always upgrade the cable on the hd600 to improve it even further. it just seems that the hd600 is overall a better headphone and, because it is not terribly more expensive than a modded hd580, a smarter purchase as well.

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...it seems to me that this extra cost is worth it because you get more closely matched drivers (which i'm not sure why people write off as being unimportant), carbon fiber bales, and stainless steel grills...it just seems that the hd600 is overall a better headphone...

oh cmon, vcoheda!

slightly better matched drivers dont make a considerable difference
there is no carbon fiber on the 600s
again, there is no carbon fiber on the 600s
grilles are a $15 upgrade

why don't you open your mind, click and *read* for once! or search or something!

the above posts directly challenge every single one of your claims. do you have evidence to their contrary? or are you stuck?

Quote:

...and, because [a used hd600] is not terribly more expensive than a modded hd580, a smarter purchase as well.

where, oh where will these guys buy used 600s? and where are you getting your prices for a used pair? a quick search pulls up a SINGLE offering at that price. it is also the LOWEST starting price of all stock 600 in recent sales. would YOU like to offer the op a pair of 600s for $180 right now?

the truth is, the sound quality argument you keep beating on is solely underpinned by the notion that slightly more accurately matched drivers make more than a $50 difference (that's used 600 vs new 580mod), or in a fairer comparison (new 600mod vs. new 580mod) a $100+ difference. but they don't! the SQ improvement you claim is marginal! as i hope you've verified for yourself, the grilles cost much less than $100, a modded 580 looks MUCH better, and let me say once more: there is there is no. carbon. fiber. on the 600s

fact is, if you take the 650 to be the golden standard of the 580/600/650 line, the 580, even at stock, is a "smarter buy" than the 600s!

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

the hd580 is a nice upgrade if you already own those headphones. but if don't own one and are thinking about buying that or the hd600, then it comes down to cost, getting the best headphone for the money. an hd580 plus all the mods will cost you around $140-$150; more if you purchase the headphone new. but you can buy a used hd600 for $180-$190 and it seems to me that this extra cost is worth it because you get more closely matched drivers (which i'm not sure why people write off as being unimportant), carbon fiber bales, and stainless steel grills. and of course you can always upgrade the cable on the hd600 to improve it even further. it just seems that the hd600 is overall a better headphone and, because it is not terribly more expensive than a modded hd580, a smarter purchase as well.

There it is ... and no offense, but I suspected as much. All your cost comparisons are made with the idea of a used 600 in mind.

While I may not share Ichinichi's blatant enthusiasm for the mod (the HD580's are preferred by some in their own right), he has essentially been correct all along - there is simply no cost comparison: new HD580 w/mods vs. new HD600. It seems to me that's the basis for all mods relative to a newer model, more expensive headphone ... and the HD600 is certainly that. One might even say that the HD580 has a higher intrinsic value because the used market seems to more or less level the competitiveness between the two phones. Your arguments actually substantiate that fact. Hence, HD580 - better buy - mods or not.

Interesting discussion, but too bad it got personal.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There it is ... and no offense, but I suspected as much. All your cost comparisons are made with the idea of a used 600 in mind.

While I may not share Ichinichi's blatant enthusiasm for the mod (the HD580's are preferred by some in their own right), he has essentially been correct all along - there is simply no cost comparison: new HD580 w/mods vs. new HD600. It seems to me that's the basis for all mods relative to a newer model, more expensive headphone ... and the HD600 is certainly that. One might even say that the HD580 has a higher intrinsic value because the used market seems to more or less level the competitiveness between the two phones. Your arguments actually substantiate that fact. Hence, HD580 - better buy - mods or not.

Interesting discussion, but too bad it got personal.

*deafening applause*

you are correct. his cost argument was a major component of this whole disagreement.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh cmon, vcoheda!

slightly better matched drivers dont make a considerable difference
there is no carbon fiber on the 600s
again, there is no carbon fiber on the 600s
grilles are a $15 upgrade

why don't you open your mind, click and *read* for once! or search or something!

the above posts directly challenge every single one of your claims. do you have evidence to their contrary? or are you stuck?

where, oh where will these guys buy used 600s? and where are you getting your prices for a used pair? a quick search pulls up a SINGLE offering at that price. it is also the LOWEST starting price of all stock 600 in recent sales. would YOU like to offer the op a pair of 600s for $180 right now?

the truth is, the sound quality argument you keep beating on is solely underpinned by the notion that slightly more accurately matched drivers make more than a $50 difference (that's used 600 vs new 580mod), or in a fairer comparison (new 600mod vs. new 580mod) a $100+ difference. but they don't! the SQ improvement you claim is marginal! as i hope you've verified for yourself, the grilles cost much less than $100, a modded 580 looks MUCH better, and let me say once more: there is there is no. carbon. fiber. on the 600s

fact is, if you take the 650 to be the golden standard of the 580/600/650 line, the 580, even at stock, is a "smarter buy" than the 600s!

Why dont you open YOUR mind and let the guy have his own opinion. If he feels the 600s are a better buy, then HE CANNOT BE WRONG. It is an opinion, there is no such thing as a WRONG opinion. If he feels that a 600 is a smarter purchase, who are you to tell him that he's wrong? And if he can tell the difference between closely matched drivers and not closely matched drivers, and he feels that its worth the money, then how is he wrong? I'm allowed to think that the Bose Triports are the best sounding headphone and none of you can tell me that I'm wrong because you dont have my ears.

I get that vcoheda might have gotten his facts messed up but thats no reason to jump all over him like the way you did. and you probably know, some like the carbon-fiber look of the 600s. I know I do
smily_headphones1.gif

and opinions of highly regarded head-fiers is not fact. Even Sovkiller's (whom you quoted) sig says so Quote:

Disclaimer: Please assume every single of my statements, to mean: “in my system”, “to my ears”, "in my experience", “in my opinion”, etc...(otherwise stated).

. Bringing in fact based arguments (like the no carbon fiber) helps your case but something like SQ between closely matched drivers cannot be thought of as fact, no matter who said it.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #42 of 66
Of course, all this is soon to be a moot point as the 580s are no longer in production. Personally, I think a lot of folks will be wishing they'd gotten them when they could even though the 600s are still available.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #43 of 66
i still disagree and there are plenty of posts/websites that support my position. but talking to you is not worth it, as your posts take an unreasonable tone. you cite one post and then take that as an absolute. i'll just let potential buyers and readers sort this out.

Apr 29, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Why dont you open YOUR mind and let the guy have his own opinion. If he feels the 600s are a better buy, then HE CANNOT BE WRONG. It is an opinion, there is no such thing as a WRONG opinion. If he feels that a 600 is a smarter purchase, who are you to tell him that he's wrong? And if he can tell the difference between closely matched drivers and not closely matched drivers, and he feels that its worth the money, then how is he wrong? I'm allowed to think that the Bose Triports are the best sounding headphone and none of you can tell me that I'm wrong because you dont have my ears.

I get that vcoheda might have gotten his facts messed up but thats no reason to jump all over him like the way you did. and you probably know, some like the carbon-fiber look of the 600s. I know I do
smily_headphones1.gif

and opinions of highly regarded head-fiers is not fact. Even Sovkiller's (whom you quoted) sig says so . Bringing in fact based arguments (like the no carbon fiber) helps your case but something like SQ between closely matched drivers cannot be thought of as fact, no matter who said it.

oh settle down! you've not even read the debate in its entirety and you're already so emotionally engaged! i'll say it one more time, slowly.

his original statement was a quantitative statement and he invoked what are quantitative claims to support his quantitative position (see his initial post in this thread even):

Quote:

this is not accurate. the hd600 is a better headphone than the hd580. anyone who knows the history of the hd580-Jubilee-hd600 would know this. there are reasons why it is a better headphone. it is not speculation...

see? quantitative, measurable, verifiable. you are arguing for his right to a qualitative opinion, which i do not challenge in the slightest.

Quote:

i do not agree. i feel that in certain respects, the hd600 may be a better headphone than the hd580. there are reasons why i would consider it to be a better headphone...

now, jinp, a qualitative claim is not the same as a quantitative claim. qualitative claims are subjective whereas quantitative claims are built on factual and verifiable evidence. these are very important terms to understand before you go rushing to defend vcoheda's freedom of expressing his qualitative opinions. and nobody is jumping on his post, there is history behind it. read slowly and if you still feel that i have qualitatively infringed on vcoheda's right to a subjective opinion, then you are entitled to that opinion. here's the brief:

i initially started a thread as a resource for those interested in modding their 580s. he comes in and says the clearly smarter thing to do is buy the 600 outright. this is a quantitative statement just like his first in this thread. in reply i mentioned that there are many people who are interested in modding 580 and feel it is worthwhile, which is a quantifiable statement in that it can be measured (either there are people who have publicly preferred the 580mod sound over 600 sound, or there aren't).

that's when he called me out with: "really. i'd like to see some of these posts". so i gave them to him, very many. and instead of providing citations of his own or admitting that there were many threads that he has not read on the subject, he just comes out with the same absolute assertion that modding 580s is not worthwhile, citing quantitative reasons. for each of these i found multiple sources that say otherwise! and he has yet to offer any type of link or resource in support of his position, hence "stubborn and questionable" from before.

Quote:

i still disagree and there are plenty of posts/websites that support my position.

"really. i would like to see some of these posts."

those words sound familiar? they're your own. sound challenging, don't they? so let's see it! you've been all talk so far, where are the references! where are they?

Quote:

but talking to you is not worth it, as your posts take an unreasonable tone. you cite one post and then take that as an absolute.

the tone has been one of reason; for every claim you've made i've found at least one reference that says otherwise. you call me out and i've met your challenge: i've cited three different threads and multiple posts in support of the position that 580modding is worthwhile. since you're so committed to providing such a comprehensive case for how the 600 is clearly a better headphone, where are the posts supporting your position? and without animosity, i really do want to read them because i've not seen a single post in support of your claim in all my searching on head-fi when i was deciding on which of 580 or 600 to purchase myself.

Apr 29, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #45 of 66
some links with useful information in them for any reasonable minded readers of this unfortunate thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/archi.../t-161160.html (scroll down to the post by crocodile jd)

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/sennheiser_hd600.htm (the whole article but esp later down in the comparison section)

http://stereophile.com/headphones/408/ (sterophile review/comparison of hd580 and hd600)

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-600.php (description of hd600 from headroom)

http://www.onhifi.com/product/sennheiser_hd600.htm (another review of hd600 noting it's build and sound differences from hd580)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ht=hd580+hd600 (extolling the hd600)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back