Used Sennheiser 580s
Apr 28, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I've searched a lot of headphones on here and have decided that the 580s are probably what I want . Being that they are very popular headphones I could probably sell them if I don't like them and get most, if not all, of my money back on them.

When searching on this site there are so many posts and so many opinions that you will get both very positive and very negative things said about pretty much any headphone. The only near consensus opinions that I have found are that the ksc75s are great for the money(I bought some and agree) and anything that says Bose blows(Had some qc1s that I didn't think were that bad) because they are overpriced crap.

ha yea, its hard to get a consensus on head-fi. The best thing is too look at people's profiles (equipment lists) and their music tastes and if theyre similar, see what gear they like. Thats basically what I did, and it works fairly well

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely not. people buy the 580's, then add the 600 grills and the 650 cable on them. i don't like the 600 grills, but i painted mine to look better. the 580's basically use the same drivers as the 600's. in fact i prefer the 580 with the 650 cable to the 600. it could just be placebo effect however. they shouldn't really sound different.

this is not accurate. the hd600 is a better headphone than the hd580. anyone who knows the history of the hd580-Jubilee-hd600 would know this. there are reasons why it is a better headphone. it is not speculation.

1. the drivers of the 600s are more closely matched.

2. the bales of the 600s are made of carbon fiber and the 580s are made of plastic.

3. the grills of the 600s are made of stainless steel and the 580s are plastic.

those are real differences. considering how affordable the hd600 is now a days, it is preferable to seek those out instead.

Apr 28, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 66
Wasn't the HD580 discontinued? Will those companies actually get restocked with them?

There's no harm in buying an HD600 though, despite the horrid color scheme. For a while, I remember Sennheiser was even extending the warranty by 2 years with a purchase from an authorized retailer.

Apr 28, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is not accurate. the hd600 is a better headphone than the hd580. anyone who knows the history of the hd580-Jubilee-hd600 would know this. there are reasons why it is a better headphone. it is not speculation.

2. the bales of the 600s are made of carbon fiber and the 580s are made of plastic.

those are real differences. considering how affordable the hd600 is now a days, it is preferable to seek those out instead.

1. has been shown to have negligible effect and is evidenced by the many people who prefer the modded 580 over the 600

2. carbon fiber makes a UNIVERSE of difference in terms of SQ
rolleyes.gif

3. 600s cost TWICE as much as 580s and the grilles cost $15/pair. they pop right onto the 580s.

yes the differences are certainly tangible (as in you can see them) differences, but in terms of sound quality, the claim quoted above is cannot be firmly supported outside of vcoheda's own personal stubborn and questionable opinion, likely based on his now distant and cloudy impression. (we've got a lively discussion in the 580 modding EDU).

grab a pair of 580s as you planned OP - you won't regret it.

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 66
As I had mentioned earlier; I had done tons of research on the HD580-600-650, and the opinion I came away with was that for "my" listening style the HD600 was the best bet. Now this was before the HD580 became such a bargain and it became such a fabulous deal. Still, there were lots of folks with the opinion that HD600 did better the HD580.

I bought my very nearly new and beautiful pair of HD600 from another Head-Fi member after I had already determined that HD600 was best for me, but I didn't pay much more than had I purchased a new HD580 and made the mods. At any rate, I'm not praising the HD600 to justify the price I paid. Just pointing out the impression I had taken away after searching almost everything I could find on these three sets of cans. A lot of folks do feel that the HD600 is substantially better than HD580 which is still a fabulous set of phones.

It seems that the HD580 suddenly became a lot better set of phones about the same time that the price went down!

Anyway; a used set of 580s at a good price is still a major, major bargain and a great set of cans!

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. has been shown to have negligible effect and is evidenced by the many people who prefer the modded 580 over the 600

rolleyes.gif

3. 600s cost TWICE as much as 580s and the grilles cost $15/pair. they pop right onto the 580s.

yes the differences are certainly tangible (as in you can see them) differences, but in terms of sound quality, the claim quoted above is cannot be firmly supported outside of vcoheda's own personal stubborn and questionable opinion, likely based on his now distant and cloudy impression. (we've got a lively discussion in the 580 modding EDU).

surely vcoheda will never understand that, he is too powerful for the likes of us, and he could care less about those who have a need for a budget! i echo everything ichinichi just said. of course he'll retort with something witty and intellectual to make me look like an idiot for arguing, but the only thing i said that was "incorrect" was that the drivers were BASICALLY the same. i didn't even SAY they were the same. i said they basically were, implying that they are almost the same things. and so i guess my opinion is also "incorrect" as well.

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
surely vcoheda will never understand that, he is too powerful for the likes of us, and he could care less about those who have a need for a budget! i echo everything ichinichi just said.

icon10.gif
can't agree with you more, souperman!

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

But have you ever heard a hd600? There definitely is a difference between the modded and unmodded 580s and a 600 IN MY EARS! YOU might not be able to hear it but some people can, and if you call their opinion "stubborn and questionable", then you're just plain wrong. I agree with you that the price/SQ ratio is much better with the 580s then with the 600s, and probably most people will agree with me but theres no reason to try to discredit vcoheda just for stating his opinion.

oh forgot to say, that I own the 580s at home where my dad is currently using them, so I think I have a good understanding of the 580 sound

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, who would have thought my little side question would have drawn such a response.

Tried to buy some 580s in the for sale forum but was 2nd in line
frown.gif

sorry, the 580s are a great phone. One question, what are you going to be using them with?

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But have you ever heard a hd600? There definitely is a difference between the modded and unmodded 580s and a 600 IN MY EARS! YOU might not be able to hear it but some people can, and if you call their opinion "stubborn and questionable", then you're just plain wrong. I agree with you that the price/SQ ratio is much better with the 580s then with the 600s, and probably most people will agree with me but theres no reason to try to discredit vcoheda just for stating his opinion.

oh forgot to say, that I own the 580s at home where my dad is currently using them, so I think I have a good understanding of the 580 sound

as i have previously stated, i have auditioned the hd600.

before you tell me how "just plain wrong" i am, why not take the time to actually see why his claims may be considered "stubborn and questionable"? haha, clearly you've not been following closely enough if you think i cannot hear the difference between 580, 580mod and 600!

let me lay it out for you:

the disagreement i have with vcoheda is that he says the 600 sounds absolutely better; not relatively, absolutely. the position that vcoheda so vehemently advocates is that 580s are not worthwhile modding. what's worse, he does so in a 580modding EDU thread!

what i am arguing is that the 580s are worthwhile modding because i, as well as many prominent head-fiers, prefer the modded 580 sound over the 600s. and i said as much in the edu thread. in case it is not obvious, a requisite of there ever being a disagreement is that i can hear and have heard the difference and i feel that the 580s are worthwhile modding. he then called me out for references to support my claim of others' favoring the modded 580 sound over 600 sound and i gave him quotes and links in support of my position. he failed to do the same and instead goes on threads like this to try and deter new/potential members from buying a set of perfectly worthwhile cans. you want "just plain wrong"? that's "just plain wrong".

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #27 of 66
No need to apologize to me I'm quite entertained
smily_headphones1.gif

Going to try them out with a couple things. My computer and my ipod which I just bought a portable amp for (I don't care if I look ridiculous). I've read differing views on whether these need to be amped or not but it seems most people agree that an amp will help just about any decent HP.

I also found myself walking around a vintage stereo equipment store the other day and you just never know what I'll blow my money on.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #28 of 66
your statements completely misrepresent anything and everything i have said. anyone who reads my posts against yours will clearly see that. i tried to drop this issue by not responding to your insulting posts, but you persist. you seem like a very immature and attention needy person.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

your statements completely misrepresent anything and everything i have said. anyone who reads my posts against yours will clearly see that. i tried to drop this issue by not responding to your insulting posts, but you persist. you seem like a very immature and attention needy person.

i simply believe in what i say and put in the time to back it up. you don't seem to.

"misrepresent"? are you reading what you're posting?

"insulting posts"? if you feel my posts were "insulting", then you're in need of maturity. you asked for evidence and i gave it to you. did you rebut them?

"attention-needy"? give me a break; you're at over 1600 posts! i've sent more pm's than public posts! haha!

you did do the right thing in dropping it though (option 3, i believe). that's what you should've done in the first place.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

as i have previously stated, i have auditioned the hd600.

before you tell me how "just plain wrong" i am, why not take the time to actually see why his claims may be considered "stubborn and questionable"? haha, clearly you've not been following closely enough if you think i cannot hear the difference between 580, 580mod and 600!

let me lay it out for you:

the disagreement i have with vcoheda is that he says the 600 sounds absolutely better; not relatively, absolutely. the position that vcoheda so vehemently advocates is that 580s are not worthwhile modding. what's worse, he does so in a 580modding EDU thread!

what i am arguing is that the 580s are worthwhile modding because i, as well as many prominent head-fiers, prefer the modded 580 sound over the 600s. and i said as much in the edu thread. in case it is not obvious, a requisite of there ever being a disagreement is that i can hear and have heard the difference and i feel that the 580s are worthwhile modding. he then called me out for references to support my claim of others' favoring the modded 580 sound over 600 sound and i gave him quotes and links in support of my position. he failed to do the same and instead goes on threads like this to try and deter new/potential members from buying a set of perfectly worthwhile cans. you want "just plain wrong"? that's "just plain wrong".

I completely understand what you're saying but vcoheda is allowed to have his own opinion yes? and I can see that vcoheda comes off a little aggressive but not really.

and no, I havent been really following your edu thread since I did all the mods except painting a while ago.

and he wasnt trying to deter people from buying the 580s. It was his opinion that the 600s were more worthwhile to buy then the 580s. Its his opinion, he's allowed to have one. The buying power rests with the customer and he/she can choose to buy a 580 or a 600. Its not our fault if a person buys a 580 or a 600 and hates it. It all rests with the buyer and we're just trying to steer the buyer to a good buy. And a good buy is not an absolute thing as you probably know.

i just realized that I come off as vcoheda's lawyer or something like that. Not at all. I met the guy at a meet once. I just like free expression
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back