USB Vs. Optical Vs. Coaxial
Aug 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #31 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're basing that statement on.....

Mostly what linuxworks said above and the fact that I've been doing a software engineering for all my life and know know a few things about communications protocols.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a digital audio primer around. I suggest you start there.

Yeah, it's in my signature.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #32 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bnc IS coax. loosely speaking.

spdif was designed, from the very beginning, to use existing video cabling and video infrastruture (75ohm cable).

the connector just does not matter in the real world. I've run spdif over Really Bad(tm) things and it works just fine.

how many dacs and spdif transmitters are TRUE to 75ohms, end to end, pc traces and all? probably none.

it simply does not matter.

I understand your point concerning BNC being ~coaxial, but I mentioned it specifically in terms of signal quality. We've been using BNC at work in video for years, and for argument's sake we can say that video is not audio and leave it at that. But I've "seen" the difference in quality from RCA vs 75ohm BNC itself, and it is apparent in video. For audio purposes, I only have hearsay to go by, so I'll gladly defer to your experiences. I've enjoyed your post in DIY, BTW. I also agree with your reasoning to dismiss it under practical terms. But the OP asked "...what will give me the best sound quality possible. USB, Optical, or Coax?" So practicality notwithstanding, I stand by my answer under those specific terms.

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #33 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly what linuxworks said above and the fact that I've been doing a software engineering for all my life and know know a few things about communications protocols.
wink.gif

Yeah, it's in my signature.
wink.gif

Ok, I've worked in telecom (and IT) for around 30 years myself, mostly data comm., done it all from DS0 to DS3 and beyond. can spout model numbers for T-berds and Fireberds all day long with you.

Give me some real data, not your credentials (and don't take that the wrong way).

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #34 of 127
You guys forgot one thing, the DAC itself. Different DACs act differently on each of the input, some are better on USB, some are better with SPDIF. If your DAC can only do USB then the choice is obvious, but others with many inputs, like my D10 for example you'll just have to try them yourself to see which is better.

So, it's really is the DAC, not the matter of inputs. Yes, even analog can possibly be better then digital inputs.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #35 of 127
Like everything else it's the implementation that makes the difference.

1. USB - synch vs. asynch mode implementations. Right now most don't do this.
2. Optical. Depends whether it's toslink or st. I would go with ST/glass optical but most don't implement this as it's expensive.
3. SPDIF - 75 ohm matching is important
4. AES/EBU - at least it's standard impedence matched.

I would go with AES - you can also do longer runs. Try that with USB....

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #36 of 127
aes is not standard impedance matched. its just as much a la-la dream as spdif.

aes was also designed to use existing cables; this case, shielded twisted pair MIC CABLES.

those are not usually 110 ohms. not really. not consistently.

so even the AES spec is a bit of a joke. its differential (so is spdif if run over transformers, as it should be, btw) and 10x the voltage (5v instead of half a volt) but its not much better since it still, by the spec, doesn't require separate clock and data. word clock is something outside the spdif/aes spec.

aes helps on long cable runs. and that's all it helps with!

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #37 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by harmonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ard impedence matched.

I would go with AES - you can also do longer runs. Try that with USB....

and if you phy-repeat usb or spdif or aes, you get as long as you want, for cable length.

phy repeating is quite easy and cheap.

bridging (parsing and re-encoding the signal) via receiver/transmitter pairs is better but effectively the same as a repeater. both ways can extend your wiring.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #38 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give me some real data, not your credentials (and don't take that the wrong way).

No offense taken, credentials don't prove a point.

The simple fact is that S/PDIF (any form of it) is a send and forget protocol with data and timing information encoded in a single stream without error checking or correction for the timing and relies on the sender to send the signal perfectly timed. This is inherently a bad design that can be fixed by writing an asynchronous, buffered and error corrected protocol - something easily implemented with USB technology. You can even piggy-back off TCP/IP for guaranteed delivery, buffering and CRC checking. Separate the data from the clock and have the receiver clock the signal processing for a TINY path to the DAC chip. It solves ALL inherent problems with S/PDIF and contains virtually none of the drawbacks.

I actually had this discussion at the NorCal meet this weekend and one drawback was raised to USB - the fact that the computer is a noisy beast and will send noise along with the signal line (this has been verified by others). Although this won't "damage" the signal, it is noise that must be removed from the circuit for "optimal" performance, similarly to power supply noise.

Of course if it were that easy, people would have done it already, and some have, but writing a new protocol, coding chip firmware and developing custom drivers isn't all that easy - that's why it's not too common yet. I hope that changes in the future, preferably open source.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #39 of 127
one of the justifications (excuses, better word? lol) for spdif is that it was designed to run on hardware that was around 20 yrs ago. realtime chips could only do so much.

today, geeze, I have a small red pc board the size of my finger that has an entire tcp/ip stack down to ethernet, on it. we all know how things have changed in 20 yrs and today, if you were doing an a/v protocol it would be packet based and have enough buffering so that transmission 'didnt' matter'. ie, wire or cable or interconnect would not matter, as long as it worked. just like ethernet or sonet or any net connect - its not about 'quality' its about having an acceptable error rate and also having software layers, above, to keep the wire 'honest' (that's what the tcp is all about; it knows that ethernet and ip are 'unreliable' and so it makes it reliable with its own layer).

but spdif was a simple streaming protocol and that's the best they could do back then
wink.gif

usb or any other packet-based interconnect has much more potential than any streaming protocol. and spdif is just basically a one-way streamer with no backchannel or flow control or nuthin!
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #40 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurotetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Optical isn't necessarily the best due to lack of error correction and, depending on the cable, can be quite lossy.

1: Optical carries the exact same signal as coaxial. The output from an SPDIF line driver typically ties into the input leg on the toslink transmitter and the output transformer on the same pin - often simultaneously 100% of the time. (no switching between them)

2: The plastic fiber used in the cheapest toslink cables has a bandwidth of about 5mhz when using 650nm (red) light. Unless you're trying to push 24/192 audio (which requires about 6mhz) this isn't a restriction.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #41 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2: The plastic fiber used in the cheapest toslink cables has a bandwidth of about 5mhz when using 650nm (red) light. Unless you're trying to push 24/192 audio (which requires about 6mhz) this isn't a restriction.

I've recently shopped around for toslink parts. been playing around with this
wink.gif

I've seen 8mhz parts, 15 and even 25. the stuff in the middle seems to be in favor now and I think it will do 'the max' speed that coax can (in terms of stereo digital audio). so if you have the right toslinks on both sides and decent enough (not pricey, just adequate) opto fiber, it should work. and be no worse off than coax, rca or bnc.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #42 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recently shopped around for toslink parts. been playing around with this
wink.gif

I've seen 8mhz parts, 15 and even 25. the stuff in the middle seems to be in favor now and I think it will do 'the max' speed that coax can (in terms of stereo digital audio). so if you have the right toslinks on both sides and decent enough (not pricey, just adequate) opto fiber, it should work. and be no worse off than coax, rca or bnc.

That's a little weird - that they are specified that high, I mean.

The iec60958-3 spec says 6mhz is the max bandwidth. The fiber optic people say 1mm plastic fiber has about 5mhz of bandwidth and a maximum of 1km for a single run before you need repeaters (no splices).

What gets me about people insisting on glass fiber for audio isn't the fact that plastic does the job, it's people paying hundreds of dollars for a length of single-mode glass that would cost me $3 with different ends on it.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #43 of 127
linuxworks -- since as you say in the real-world S/PDIF bit errors just don't happen, why not just always use it? Especially if your sound card (like the moon-audio modded MAudio 192) uses a transformer on the output as you suggest. The data rates are so slow, as you pointed out, this is all just going to work, and you can use off-the-shelf video cables which are close enough to 75 ohms (again, you said all this).

Toslink glass is expensive; toslink plastic has bend issues and maybe a higher chance for errors, no? So forget it if other options are available.

Also quoting you, AES/EBU has no advantage except longer runs over S/PDIF, and real 110-ohm XLR cables are not the standard mike stuff we have lying around. So why bother?

Now USB could be super, in theory as you say, but the actual implementations out there ... well who knows? I found one instance of an audio USB receiver software module on the web, and it did some decent buffering, and I do believe better DACs re-clock ... but I think all this just makes up for horrid audio isochronus USB-out firmware on PCs.

Conclusions ... do you agree? ...

1. If your sound card has S/PDIF out, use it.
2. If you only have USB out, and your DAC takes USB, that's that.
3. If your DAC does not take USB, and you only have USB out, the off-the-shelf USB-to-S/PDIF converters will work fine

No reason to use optical unless that's all you have.

All of these will sound the same I would think. We can test this: I have the S/PDIF sound card mentioned above, but of course I can bypass it and use USB. DAC has both inputs. Also have USB-to-S/PDIF converter. Which of the three options will sound the best ... will there be any differnece?

Many folks I discussed this with at the recent NJ meet thought the S/PDIF out would sound the best, and straight USB-to-USB the worst.

I tried this on Sunday over and over, all the combinations. No audible differences whatsoever, at least for me. I have more than one DAC, and no question I could hear differences between DACs, so my ears were working to some degree anyway.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #44 of 127
Digi-Key Part Search

the data rate column shows 6, 10, 15, 12.8 (huh?), 25 and 125M (wow!!).

the 128M part is still toslink (they say) but its not the usual shape we think of. its also a $20 part!

I can see 15M for extra 'shape quality' on the wave forms and its not that much more than the 6 or 8M parts.

but 25 and 125? wow. not sure what the application for that is. probably NOT spdif but maybe using existing fiber for custom datacomm? who knows. major overkill for stereo audio, though
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #45 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
linuxworks -- since as you say in the real-world S/PDIF bit errors just don't happen, why not just always use it?

bit errors are almost zero, but that's not to say that timing errors are at zero. that's the whole broo-ha-ha (lol) about jitter.

but if you could 'wrap' the data with timing built in, the whole idea of jitter goes away. if you actually timestamped data (think of a graph of x,y points) then the dac would simply 'wait' until the timestamp elapsed and then squirt out the word (converted to analog level) at the right time. that would be the short of it
wink.gif

spdif has no timing built in, just 'this is a pulse and this is pulse n+1'.

not quite the same as having real actual timestamps per value.

Quote:

Especially if your sound card (like the moon-audio modded MAudio 192) uses a transformer on the output as you suggest.

transformers don't cut down on errors or change timing. they only allow some natural noise reduction to happen and also remove dc bias from the lines. that's about it.

Quote:

Toslink glass is expensive; toslink plastic has bend issues and maybe a higher chance for errors, no? So forget it if other options are available.

IS there such a thing as toslink glass? I never heard of that. toslink is designed from the start to use plastic and not glass fiber. this isn't fddi or atm here
wink.gif

Quote:

Also quoting you, AES/EBU has no advantage except longer runs over S/PDIF, and real 110-ohm XLR cables are not the standard mike stuff we have lying around. So why bother?

because in a pro studio, they'll have a lot more radiated noise than usually you'll find at home. and also they tend to run multichannel which has crosstalk issues (digital interference which usually can get ignored but if you compound it, it makes it harder to sift signal FROM the noise). running higher voltages helps with that and mostly lets longer cables work.

oh, also, aes uses the better connector, in that it won't twist around (like rca does) and also is physically more robust. pros will unplug things more than consumers will, generally.

it makes sense for studios to use better connectors and such.

for us 'plug and forget' guys, though, an rca connector will usually do just fine
wink.gif

Quote:

Now USB could be super, in theory as you say, but the actual implementations out there ... well who knows?

they do vary but some are reported to be a lot better than just wrapping audio in a one-way stream. those are the good versions that people are trying to seek out.

Quote:

I found one instance of an audio USB receiver software module on the web, and it did some decent buffering, and I do believe better DACs re-clock ... but I think all this just makes up for horrid audio isochronus USB-out firmware on PCs.

usb audio is a good first pass at solving the problem. it has more refinement before its perfect, but it has the *potential* to exceed the one-way shipping nature of spdif.

Quote:

1. If your sound card has S/PDIF out, use it.

I certainly don't go out of my way to AVOID spdif. I have no problem with spdif, really.

Quote:

2. If you only have USB out, and your DAC takes USB, that's that.
3. If your DAC does not take USB, and you only have USB out, the off-the-shelf USB-to-S/PDIF converters will work fine

yup, agreed.

Quote:

No reason to use optical unless that's all you have.

I don't hate toslink
wink.gif
I have never broken it, I've bent it a few times but its not as critical as glass fiber. its not easy to terminate to custom length but these days, its cheap enough to just buy in lengths at monoprice. when opto cables were $20 and up, I hated them. now they are dollars (not tens of dollars) and so its fine.

Quote:

All of these will sound the same I would think. We can test this: I have the S/PDIF sound card mentioned above, but of course I can bypass it and use USB. DAC has both inputs. Also have USB-to-S/PDIF converter. Which of the three options will sound the best ... will there be any differnece?

I've never heard any one 'interconnect' sound better or worse. are my dacs good? are my ears bad? all of the above?
wink.gif
who knows. but I am not religious about my digital cabling; whatever connects is fine. my popcorn hour is native coax, so I 'do coax' to it. my pc uses a gamma1 which gives me both but I tend to connect opto from it, just to keep 2 things easy to find on the back of my dac or switch.

Quote:

I tried this on Sunday over and over, all the combinations. No audible differences whatsoever, at least for me.

usually, same here.

I've heard and can identify analog audio problems. digital 'timing problems' are elusive and hard to identify or describe or even measure! I'm not sure I've heard sound that was bad due to the digital audio connection method. some people swear they can tell. I've heard one guy tell me he can tell the diff between audio 'clocked' out of a spinning hard drive vs audio 'clocked' from a solid state drive. boggle! but some people are convinced. not sure how to respond to that
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back