USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
Apr 2, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #1,036 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that all? Why don't you just say this? You have me confused with all the beating around the bush. Yep, I'll provide a PS as part of the package. Batteries are just my preferred option but anything can provide the 3.3V.

Are you also suggesting that it should all be boxed in a nice aluminium enclosure with a nice logo on the front? I'd have to charge 2,000 dollars for that I think
smile.gif

Hi John,

Kudos to you for initiating this improvement, it is sound sience and Everybody agrees with you. Let,s just find a practical way to bring all the loose ends together and start there. You can bet that Everybody will want to run with your idea and put out the bigger better deal. Don't relent, run with your idea and put your stamp on it or others WILL.

I am with you, cant wait to hear.

Modshade.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #1,037 of 1,712
Quote:

Yes, you can get all this from me - why not PM me?

John,
I've gotta run now, but will PM you on Sunday...
If you could PM where you're located that could be a start.
best regards
André

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #1,038 of 1,712
I'm not an audio company - I have a real job
icon10.gif

You know I put the information out there (maybe I shouldn't) & it is something that is developing into a fully packaged product. I'm just testing out various elements which I think people might be interested in as individual components that will suit different configurations, not just the HiFace.

Suggesting that Steve develops this himself is a bit of a slap in the face for me (nice idea - now move along) & I'm sure he will do it if he thinks it's a market that he's interested in & it fits with his plans. I'm sure he's listening in & doesn't need to be coaxed.

Thanks for the support & advice Modshade.

What I was facetiously saying in my last post about the $2000 dollar price tag was that as the functionality goes up so does the price. And when you want a name/logo on the front of your box - it will double the price. The best sound is what I'm interested in at the moment, optics will come later.

I also have in development a 24/192 asynchronous USB front end based on the Hiface that will feed I2S directly into a Sabre DAC & is not powered from the USB rails. This will initially be launched with the Acko DAC which is based on the ESS range of DACs.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #1,039 of 1,712
Quote:

I also have in development a 24/192 asynchronous USB front end based on the Hiface that will feed I2S directly into a Sabre DAC & is not powered from the USB rails. This will initially be launched with the Acko DAC which is based on the ESS range of DACs.

Now this sounds very, VERY interesting. Unfortunately my NSD was robbed, but I bet that rosgr63 and others will love to know about something like that. BTW, have you ever had contact with ASL (Audio Synthesis Link)?
hope hearing from you
regular_smile .gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #1,040 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by reverendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this sounds very, VERY interesting. Unfortunately my NSD was robbed, but I bet that rosgr63 and others will love to know about something like that. BTW, have you ever had contact with ASL (Audio Synthesis Link)?
hope hearing from you
regular_smile .gif

Well, I better not say any more or somebody else might be invited to develop it for which we will all be grateful
tongue_smile.gif

Had a look at the site - from my little bit of knowledge I find it full of the usual audio rubbish - silver cable ohhh, 75 ohm, RCA connector (what?????) rubbish. I2S has a an inherent jitter component so how do they address it - use SPDIF over optical, give me a break!!!

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #1,041 of 1,712
When is Slim.A reviewing the hiFace PS mod?
I'd like to know what are the benefits.
Is there an official PS mod or is still in the experimental stage?

John: have you decided if the mod sounds better with batteries or an external PS unit?
Also, how is the hiFace hooked to the pc, the PS unit and the batteries?
It would be nice to avoid using a USB cable. It just adds more components in the audio chain it is more expensive.

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #1,042 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When is Slim.A reviewing the hiFace PS mod?

Went to the post office today - closed maybe for the weekend?
Quote:

I'd like to know what are the benefits.

Sound
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure slim.a will say something about it
Quote:

Is there an official PS mod or is still in the experimental stage?

I provide a connector - you can choose your PS. If you want to know which I find the best so far - see below

Quote:

John: have you decided if the mod sounds better with batteries or an external PS unit?

batteries so far
Quote:

Also, how is the hiFace hooked to the pc, the PS unit and the batteries?
It would be nice to avoid using a USB cable. It just adds more components in the audio chain it is more expensive.

Have you seen slim.a experience - his Hiface is broken due to strain on it plugged directly into the USB port & a heavy SPDIF BNC cable plugged into it. Whatya gonna do?

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #1,043 of 1,712
Mine is plugged in and I'm using the same cable he is using.
I don't find that there is too much strain. It just depends on how you organize your gear.
Anyways, the way I understand it is that you cannot go along without a USB cable. Which would you recommend?
How would you recharge those batteries?

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,044 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is plugged in and I'm using the same cable he is using.
I don't find that there is too much strain. It just depends on how you organize your gear.
Anyways, the way I understand it is that you cannot go along without a USB cable. Which would you recommend?

mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

How would you recharge those batteries?

LiFePo4 charger

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #1,045 of 1,712
Quote:

I'm not an audio company - I have a real job
icon10.gif

You know I put the information out there (maybe I shouldn't) & it is something that is developing into a fully packaged product. I'm just testing out various elements which I think people might be interested in as individual components that will suit different configurations, not just the HiFace.

Suggesting that Steve develops this himself is a bit of a slap in the face for me (nice idea - now move along) & I'm sure he will do it if he thinks it's a market that he's interested in & it fits with his plans. I'm sure he's listening in & doesn't need to be coaxed.

Dont worry, I'm not interested. I have a full plate already.

It's against my philosophy to pursue anything that is not world-class anyway. I dont do trickle-down...

Steve N.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #1,046 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's against my philosophy to pursue anything that is not world-class anyway. ......
Steve N.

That's why you are using the HiFace for asynch USB, I guess
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #1,047 of 1,712
Just a suggestion, why not move the Hiface powermod to it's own thread.

I am sure there will be plenty dedicated discussion leaving this thread to cover discussion about intended comparisons no ?

In any event I am sure Mr slim will comment on the mod once he gets it.

A nice compact introduction with photo's will put all us all on the same page.

Shade.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #1,049 of 1,712
Does anyone know any Canadian online websites that sell the m2tech hiface? I know they have a Canadian dealer but their web site doesn't seem to be a shop of any kind. I've been trying my Stello -> WA6 setup with uDAC as my USB -> SPDIF and I do notice an improvement in the sound though Stello coax vs. usb... but uDAC belongs in my secondary rig full time and I wouldn't mind a better converter so I'd really like to try the hiface... but I have no clue where to buy it.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #1,050 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by t/sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a suggestion, why not move the Hiface powermod to it's own thread.

I am sure there will be plenty dedicated discussion leaving this thread to cover discussion about intended comparisons no ?

For those who are interested, jkeny started his thread about the modded hiface here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/mod...-units-481293/

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know any Canadian online websites that sell the m2tech hiface? I know they have a Canadian dealer but their web site doesn't seem to be a shop of any kind. I've been trying my Stello -> WA6 setup with uDAC as my USB -> SPDIF and I do notice an improvement in the sound though Stello coax vs. usb... but uDAC belongs in my secondary rig full time and I wouldn't mind a better converter so I'd really like to try the hiface... but I have no clue where to buy it.

It seems that the official reseller in Canada is mutine.com. Apparently, you have to order by e-mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back